Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
BETA ended - quick poll commenting feature (now disabled)
Thread poster: Jon Peck
Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:50
Italian to English
+ ...
Me too Feb 2, 2010

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

I don't want a third party system.
I'm uncomfortable with that.

You put my point perfectly well. And I am already boycotting the poll comments.

I'm answering the question but not commenting, I don't know who these "third parties" are and don't intend to get involved!

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Ditto Feb 2, 2010

Alexandra Speirs wrote:

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

I don't want a third party system.
I'm uncomfortable with that.

You put my point perfectly well. And I am already boycotting the poll comments.

I'm answering the question but not commenting, I don't know who these "third parties" are and don't intend to get involved!

Yep - that's the end of my commenting on Poll discussions. I hit "discuss" and was told my details would be sent to a third party if I continued - I definitely do not want that, so I hit "cancel".

I also take exception to this statement:

Jon Peck wrote:

A new commenting feature is now available in ProZ.com quick polls.

Jon Peck
ProZ.com Development Manager

Sorry, but "available" implies there is a choice in the matter! This is not "available", it has been imposed upon us.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ditto as well Feb 3, 2010

I don't intend commenting any longer under this system either.

Jon Peck
Jon Peck  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:50
English
TOPIC STARTER
Good point, removed. Feb 3, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Starting with: "What's on your mind?"

Agreed, I removed the default text.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 11:50
SITE STAFF
Thanks for the feedback so far / some points to highlight on the comment feature Feb 3, 2010

Hello all,

First, thanks for the feedback so far on this new feature. Both positive and negative feedback is extremely useful for this kind of thing (along with other data, like usage for example). The comment feature has been used on the last 7 quick polls, including the current polls, and the numbers of comments or posts seems to be around the average so far; this of course varies from poll to poll-- some polls generate a lot of discussion, others very little.

I think
... See more
Hello all,

First, thanks for the feedback so far on this new feature. Both positive and negative feedback is extremely useful for this kind of thing (along with other data, like usage for example). The comment feature has been used on the last 7 quick polls, including the current polls, and the numbers of comments or posts seems to be around the average so far; this of course varies from poll to poll-- some polls generate a lot of discussion, others very little.

I think Jon has probably already covered this, but I'd like to try to address the concerns some have expressed regarding the use of a third-party service for the comment feature. There are cases where the use of a third party feature or tool makes sense, especially when that feature has already been well-designed and tested. This allows site staff to provide some services more quickly and efficiently, and ensures that ProZ.com development resources are more specifically focused on providing translators with tools to help them improve their work and expand their businesses. It is worth underlining that the information collected is 1) the name you use publicly on ProZ.com, 2) your profile number or ID, and 3) your profile photo. This information is collected solely to allow your posts to be shown in the comment feature (or elsewhere, but only if you explicitly request so) and is not used for other purposes. Email addresses or other contact information are not sent.

The comment feature is intended for use with the quick poll system, which itself works a bit differently from other forums, and is not planned as a replacement of regular forums where translators can still give and receive help with translation-related issues.

To address the concerns about a lack of a "quoting" feature, in the new format there is the option to reply directly to a specific comment, by hitting the "Reply" link in the post.

I'd like to encourage those who have not used the comment feature yet to give it a try, and thanks again for the constructive feedback.

Regards,

Jared
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Much obliged, Jared Feb 3, 2010

Good egg.

Charlie Bavington wrote:
Interesting to hear that there is a "vendor" involved, not just some ill-received in-house tweaking. Does this mean that we are bound to get something along these lines anyway, 'cos the money's been spent and the contracts signed, or can this decision be reversed if, say, we all boycotted poll comments for a month...

Can you confirm that this system is bought and paid-for from an external software vendor, and that consequently, no matter how much people complain about it, it IS actually going to stay implemented. It might be adjusted slightly here and there, but basically, it is staying. You've paid for it, and you're going to use it.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Thanks Charlie Feb 3, 2010

Hello Charlie,

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Can you confirm that this system is bought and paid-for from an external software vendor, and that consequently, no matter how much people complain about it, it IS actually going to stay implemented. It might be adjusted slightly here and there, but basically, it is staying. You've paid for it, and you're going to use it.

To my knowledge this is not the case, no. Even if it were, I don't think it would be reason to maintain something that simply wasn't working.

I don't think the comment feature has been around long enough yet to know for sure, of course. The feature is good and has its benefits, and I think it is worth a try; Jon has made and continues to make adjustments based on feedback.

Jared

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Opt-out Feb 4, 2010

Please provide an option for opting out of this and viewing the poll comments in the same way as other forums.

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Good idea Feb 4, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:

Please provide an option for opting out of this and viewing the poll comments in the same way as other forums.

That's a good idea, Jack! I would be satisfied with this solution if it is not possible to revert back to how the Quick Polls were before.

For information, I've noticed that we can no longer see the location or language pair details of the people participating in the Quick Polls.

Like others, I will abstain from participating as long as the third party solution is imposed.

Best,
Jocelyne

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Agree with Jack: opt-out option should be added Feb 4, 2010

Jocelyne S wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

That's a good idea, Jack! I would be satisfied with this solution if it is not possible to revert back to how the Quick Polls were before.

For information, I've noticed that we can no longer see the location or language pair details of the people participating in the Quick Polls.

Like others, I will abstain from participating as long as the third party solution is imposed.

Best,
Jocelyne

This is a worrying development, with so much tracking on the site already. Imo, it's all becoming much too invasive. Now it's even impossible to read the discussions without voting first. Which of course means more tracking of our movements and by a 3rd party as well. Please add an opt-out or just drop it as a bad idea.

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
Don't like it at all Feb 4, 2010

I'm with the majority of people here ... I don't like it at all.

The layout is confusing, the font size is too small.
I'm not happy about sending any more data to third parties. Sure, you say they're not going to use it, but it pays to be careful these days. Especially so soon after that whole data fiasco proz went through not too long ago.

I for one won't be participating in any poll discussions as long as this new system is in place.

What in the w
... See more
I'm with the majority of people here ... I don't like it at all.

The layout is confusing, the font size is too small.
I'm not happy about sending any more data to third parties. Sure, you say they're not going to use it, but it pays to be careful these days. Especially so soon after that whole data fiasco proz went through not too long ago.

I for one won't be participating in any poll discussions as long as this new system is in place.

What in the world was wrong with the old system of just using the forum interface?

All those fancy-shmancy social networks like facebook and twitter have nothing do with my life as a professional translator. They're for fun, for free time ...

My two cents.
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Definitely not happy with it Feb 4, 2010

Quite apart from not liking it.

Jared says that there has been average response in the recent polls where it has been used. Yesterday I noticed that for the time I was connected there were NO responses to a poll about how much time you spend on e-mails etc per day, and I chuckled to myself thinking that this was people's way of showing that they don't spend much time, but now I'm wondering whether this was either because of members boycotting or because of the system being erratic
... See more
Quite apart from not liking it.

Jared says that there has been average response in the recent polls where it has been used. Yesterday I noticed that for the time I was connected there were NO responses to a poll about how much time you spend on e-mails etc per day, and I chuckled to myself thinking that this was people's way of showing that they don't spend much time, but now I'm wondering whether this was either because of members boycotting or because of the system being erratic - I've just glanced at the number of comments for John Cutler's poll and it seems to have sunk from the 4 or 5 there were when I looked this morning to 0, which makes me suspicious...
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Comment entry numbers Feb 4, 2010

Hi aceavila - Noni,

I see 17 comments so far for the poll today: http://www.proz.com/polls/2302?discuss=y

You can view past polls and their discussions, as well as the number of discussion posts for each, at http://www.proz.com/polls/archived

Jared

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Jared Feb 4, 2010

But as I say, it turns out that they come and go on the three computers I'm using today. I'll try elsewhere tomorrow with different servers. Here I refresh and they disappear, then I refresh and stimes they come back... Makes life just that tiny little bit more exciting...

Noni

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:50
Spanish to English
Me neither Feb 4, 2010

Interestingly enough not one person who has commented here is in favour of this and I am certainly not. I am already a subscriber to this site, why should I have to fill in yet another form to be able to post a comment and why on earth would I want my comments to be posted to fifty other sites?

That's it for me I won't be bothering with the polls and their discussions from now on.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

BETA ended - quick poll commenting feature (now disabled)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »