Local time: 10:04
Membro (2009)
Da Inglese a Croato
+ ...
Fantasy Jan 11, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

Ana Vozone wrote:
How is this relevant to our profession? What kind of question is this?

Well, I suppose for most of us it is a proxy for the question "Do you regularly visit the country of your source language?", or maybe just whether we are curious about other countries and cultures, which you would think most linguists would be.

A bit far-fetched, but I do admire your phantasy.

[Edited at 2023-01-11 13:58 GMT]

I like it how you spelled fantasy.

Yes, post-editing rates enable extensive traveling for all translators. And it can't be done with a passport.

Robert Rietvelt
Yaotl Altan

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:04
Membro (2008)
Da Francese a Inglese
+ ...
Relevance to the profession Jan 11, 2023

Ana Vozone wrote:

How is this relevant

to our profession? What kind of question is this?

Because some agencies ask for a copy of translators' passports.

https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/358442-passport_required_to_apply_as_a_translator_is_this_common_requirement-page2.html

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Lettonia
Local time: 11:04
Membro (2014)
Da Francese a Lettone
+ ...
Relevance Jan 11, 2023

Not relevant to profession, perhaps, but the previous time this question was asked here I learned that passports are not mandatory in other countries or only needed for traveling, so it is kind of interesting.

I've always had one since I turned 16 because in my country there was no other way until ID cards were introduced a while ago (which are only to become mandatory this year making passports optional if I'm not mistaken).

Kaspars Melkis

Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Local time: 09:04
Da Inglese a Lettone
+ ...
not anymore Jan 11, 2023

Liena Vijupe wrote:
I've always had one since I turned 16 because in my country there was no other way until ID cards were introduced a while ago (which are only to become mandatory this year making passports optional if I'm not mistaken).

Passports have been optional in Latvia already for about 5 years. It even caused certain problems with previous voting because the system was that the passport got stamped to prevent double voting. People now can have only an ID card instead which cannot be stamped, therefore they had to introduce online verification.

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Turchia
Membro (2018)
Da Italiano a Turco
+ ...
a soviet legacy? Jan 11, 2023

Liena Vijupe wrote:

Not relevant to profession, perhaps, but the previous time this question was asked here I learned that passports are not mandatory in other countries or only needed for traveling, so it is kind of interesting.

It baffled me when I first saw an inside-passport or vnutrenniy pasport as they call it in some countries. Why does one to have to obtain a passport that doesn't help you pass borders (or pass a port if that was the case)?

Alessandra Turconi
Alessandra Turconi
Italia
Da Inglese a Italiano
+ ...
no Jan 11, 2023

I don't have one. I've been thinking about getting one for a long time, but of late I haven't travelled enough to justify its cost. Moreover, whenever I go abroad I usually do it within the EU borders. I kinda miss visiting the UK, though... who knows...

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germania
Membro (2009)
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Yes Jan 11, 2023

I have three expired passports (keeping them for whatever reason) and a new valid one. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to use it...yet.

Liena Vijupe
Lettonia
Membro (2014)
Da Francese a Lettone
+ ...
LV Jan 11, 2023

Kaspars Melkis wrote:

Passports have been optional in Latvia already for about 5 years. It even caused certain problems with previous voting because the system was that the passport got stamped to prevent double voting. People now can have only an ID card instead which cannot be stamped, therefore they had to introduce online verification.

I thought the law was that passports were still mandatory (as ID cards weren't until now), even though in practice one could easily live only with ID card in the recent years if there was no need to travel outside EU.
Anyway, I got my ID card as soon as it was possible just to have it in my wallet because I was traveling a lot and sometimes simply forgot about my passport since it was rarely asked... I still have a passport too (renewed last year).

Liena Vijupe
Lettonia
Membro (2014)
Da Francese a Lettone
+ ...
. Jan 11, 2023

Metin Demirel wrote:

It baffled me when I first saw an inside-passport or vnutrenniy pasport as they call it in some countries. Why does one to have to obtain a passport that doesn't help you pass borders (or pass a port if that was the case)?

I don't think I can answer the question because it is not vnutrenniy pasport as in Russia, simply the official ID document that you were obliged to have and could use for whatever purpose (internally AND to pass borders), there just was no alternative until some years ago. Now, with the introduction of ID cards, passports become optional.

Metin Demirel

Kaspars Melkis
Regno Unito
Da Inglese a Lettone
+ ...
not really Jan 11, 2023

Liena Vijupe wrote:
I thought the law was that passports were still mandatory (as ID cards weren't until now), even though in practice one could easily live only with ID card in the recent years if there was no need to travel outside EU.

No, by law the passports were not mandatory if you had an ID card. You had to have either a passport or ID card.

Kaspars Melkis
Regno Unito
Da Inglese a Lettone
+ ...
I used to have one too Jan 11, 2023

Metin Demirel wrote:

Latvia had that during the Soviet times too. You can think of it as an ID card in an expanded format. It was used for many things – voting records, your blood type, children, special endorsements and your registered address, for example. Because the Soviet state exerted strict control over its citizens, it was a very important document. One of the controls was that people were not permitted to travel abroad without permission. Because other countries could have chosen to ignore any endorsements in the passport, it was intentional that the internal passport was not according to international standards. Only people who were deemed loyal to the Soviet system could get a proper passport for travel outside the country.

Now I live in the UK where no ID is mandatory at all and I like it much better. While I have a passport because I often travel abroad, the life in the UK is based more on trust and many dealings (e.g., getting your medicines from pharmacy) do not require showing official ID.

The law that makes it illegal to live without an ID is oppressive. I can understand that for certain services like banking in person you need to show a photo ID, but it is up to you when you are going to obtain it. Don't make it mandatory.

[Edited at 2023-01-11 16:46 GMT]

Metin Demirel

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Paesi Bassi
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Afrikaans
+ ...
NL and ZA Jan 11, 2023

Kaspars Melkis wrote:
You can think of it as an ID card in an expanded format. It was used for many things – voting records, your blood type, children, special endorsements and your registered address, for example.
The law that makes it illegal to live without an ID is oppressive.

In the Netherlands, by law everyone must have a way to identify themselves, be it with a driving license, an ID card or a passport. In fact, whenever the police stop you, you are expected to be able to show who you are (if you can't, and if the police is suspicious, they can take you into custody until you can prove who you are, e.g. by having a family member bring your ID card to the police station).

South Africa doesn't have ID cards like we have in the EU. Instead, they have an "ID book", which is a booklet slightly smaller than a passport, with about 10 pages in it, that contains a variety of information. When you vote, it gets stamped. The driving license used to be part of the booklet as well, but it was replaced with a card about 20 years ago. Previously, if you can legally carry a gun, that information was also in the booklet (I'm not sure if it still is). I'm not sure how similar this is to the Soviet ID book. It's a bit silly because its still a "booklet" but it contains basically no other information than what one might find on an ID card.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 04:04
Da Giapponese a Inglese
+ ...
passport? Jan 11, 2023

New poll question: Do you drink coffee (tea) from a mug or a cup?

Ana Vozone
expressisverbis
Tom in London
Kay Denney
Nikolay Novitskiy

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Da Francese a Inglese
+ ...
Yes, but I won't be renewing it Jan 11, 2023

Yes, I currently have a passport from the UK, but I won't bother to renew it when the time comes. The reason is that since Brexit I no longer feel British and don't see the value in a British passport. I paid for 10 years of EU citizenship and only got 4. I feel robbed.

Michael Newton
Philip Lees
Kay Denney

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Grecia
Da Greco a Inglese
Brexit Jan 12, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
Two: Irish and British

One for each of your personalities?

One for Brexit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TdlvN2OXbo

Seriously, though, what a waste of paper and taxpayers’ money.

See also Brexit.

Tom is lucky. If I had an Irish grandparent, I'd also have got myself an Irish passport. My now devalued UK passport is still an EU one in appearance, but the next time I renew it, it will be replaced by that ugly black thing.

Christopher Schröder

Pagine:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatore(i) di questo Forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a passport?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »