Annett Roessner
Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:54
Member (2017)
English to German
Dec 7, 2023

Hi all,

This morning I accepted a large job (almost 10,000 words) from an agency and an end client I have been working with for a while. They generally don't let you have a look at the translation before accepting it. This is usually not an issue because the work is either marketing or HR related. I accepted the text thinking the content would be similar (HR related) to what I did in the past. However, this is almost entirely out of my comfort zone. It's basically a long list of qua
... See more
Hi all,

This morning I accepted a large job (almost 10,000 words) from an agency and an end client I have been working with for a while. They generally don't let you have a look at the translation before accepting it. This is usually not an issue because the work is either marketing or HR related. I accepted the text thinking the content would be similar (HR related) to what I did in the past. However, this is almost entirely out of my comfort zone. It's basically a long list of qualifications (from trainers that train horse trainers to very technical trade qualifications). They are all based on the American education system that I am not very familar with. So far, I have only completed perhaps 100 segments (maybe 700 words) after working on it basically all day. I'm also not very confident in the work I did.

So, even if I magically manage by working around the clock to get this translation completed on time I don't think that the quality will be good enough. So either way I would let the client down.

Would it be absolutely teribble if I told the agency that I wish to decline the translation. I have never done this before. I don't even care if I don't get paid for what I have done so far.

I'm looking forward to your input.

Please be kind.

Best,

Annett
Collapse

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 11:54
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Don't run away Dec 7, 2023

Ask for more time to complete the job (given the specific character of your text that request seems to be justified) and do the best you can.

It would look really bad if you ran away in the middle of a project you accepted.

Armine Abelyan
Tom in London
Baran Keki

Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro
Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:54
Member (2010)
English to Indonesian
Discuss with the client Dec 7, 2023

For your situation, I think it is best to try to discuss it with your client. Tell the truth to them.

In my opinion, it all boils down to 2 scenarios:
1. If you are confident you can finish the job, tell them you need more time. Tell them that the materials are pretty challenging for you, but since you promised to deliver the job, you need more time to not compromise on quality.
2. Let them know if you are not confident that you can finish the job. Apologize if needed f
... See more
For your situation, I think it is best to try to discuss it with your client. Tell the truth to them.

In my opinion, it all boils down to 2 scenarios:
1. If you are confident you can finish the job, tell them you need more time. Tell them that the materials are pretty challenging for you, but since you promised to deliver the job, you need more time to not compromise on quality.
2. Let them know if you are not confident that you can finish the job. Apologize if needed for taking the job without much consideration about the source difficulty.

I usually also accept jobs without much consideration, but only for jobs within my circle of competence. I know the jobs that I will finish, no matter what.

I usually ask to see the source materials first for the jobs I am unsure of. If I am not comfortable with it, I will politely decline. You have to know your limits.

Trust me, any client will be better disappointed that you cannot work on their jobs than you cannot finish their assignments. The former will maintain your good relationship with them, while the latter significantly risks it.

I hope this helps. Warm regards from your across-the-sea neighbor

[Diedit pada 2023-12-07 06:12 GMT]
Collapse

Armine Abelyan
Tanja Oresnik
Rachel Waddington
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christine Andersen
Livia D'Ettorre
expressisverbis

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Probably the least-worst option Dec 7, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:
Ask for more time to complete the job (given the specific character of your text that request seems to be justified) and do the best you can.

Yes, and also point out that this is what happens if the freelancer is not given sight of the text or a sample of the text when the offer is made. I wouldn't accept a vaguely described job without that.

Doesn't sound like a client who cares about their work, to be honest.

Regards,
Dan

Tanja Oresnik
Tom in London
Lieven Malaise
Rachel Waddington
Christine Andersen
Annett Roessner
Rita Translator

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Don’t just carry on Dec 7, 2023

I think Lieven’s advice is dangerous. You must talk to the client and tell them you are struggling. They can then decide whether to find someone else or ask you to do the best you can.

You should, of course, have realised it was too hard when you first saw the file, and that was the time to turn it down, but you live and learn. Good luck!

Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Tanja Oresnik
Barbara Carrara
Vera Schoen
Rachel Waddington
Christine Andersen

Spain
Member (2017)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Let them know Dec 7, 2023

The best way forward is probably to let them know that you have concerns regarding the quality, as you do not have detailed knowledge of the education system in the US. Let them decide whether they will reassign or apply a knowledgable proof-reader. If they do reassign, I would decline any fee for the job conducted so far.

You should be prepared to complete the job if that is their wish, otherwise you will harm your relationship with this agency. I believe that agencies considers re
... See more
The best way forward is probably to let them know that you have concerns regarding the quality, as you do not have detailed knowledge of the education system in the US. Let them decide whether they will reassign or apply a knowledgable proof-reader. If they do reassign, I would decline any fee for the job conducted so far.

You should be prepared to complete the job if that is their wish, otherwise you will harm your relationship with this agency. I believe that agencies considers reliability to be almost as important as quality.

[Edited at 2023-12-07 07:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-12-07 07:55 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christine Andersen
Philippe Etienne
Becca Resnik
Philip Lees
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Just tell them what you said Dec 7, 2023

Just tell them honestly what you said yourself:

Annett Roessner wrote:

....... I accepted the text thinking the content would be similar (HR related) to what I did in the past. However, this is almost entirely out of my comfort zone......

...and ask for more time.

Also: by googling/asking on Proz, you may be able to find a glossary of the terms used in the source document.

Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
kd42
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Dec 7, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:
I think Lieven’s advice is dangerous.

It depends on your approach. I also sometimes struggle with a text, but that doesn't mean that I will return the job. Most terminology is out there and if you really can't find it, that's a good time to contact your client to ask for help with the terminology or to make a list with all terminology you're not sure of and send it with your translation. Worked evey single time in the past 23 years.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Maybe Dec 7, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

It would look really bad if you ran away in the middle of a project you accepted.

Maybe she doesn’t want to spend more time for the same amount of money?

This is largely client’s fault for always keeping the file secret until assigning.

Christine Andersen
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kay Denney
Philippe Etienne
Liviu-Lee Roth
Daryo
Rita Translator

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You have to cancel Dec 7, 2023

Annett Roessner wrote:
I accepted the text thinking the content would be similar (HR related) to what I did in the past. However, this is almost entirely out of my comfort zone.

This is a risk that both you and your client know about and have accepted: the risk that it would turn out that you are not qualified to translate the text, and that you would have to cancel.

You have a duty to your client to cancel as soon as you realize that you would be unable to do the work to the required standard. You may have to write a grovelling apology, but you can't do this job. You should have cancelled the job within minutes after receiving it, in fact.

Even if translators are allowed to see the source text, they sometimes misjudge the text and realize after a while that they would not be able to do the translation, and although this is not good for business, you still have a duty towards the client not to attempt to do a job that you know you are woefully unqualified for.

[Edited at 2023-12-07 09:06 GMT]

Hayley Wakenshaw
Thomas T. Frost
Rachel Waddington
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Philippe Etienne
Jutta Deichselberger

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Better that they find another translator Dec 7, 2023

I would tell them what you said here and that it would be better for them to assign it to someone else. Agencies themselves occasionally cancel or postpone jobs, so I don't see why we should hold ourselves to a higher standard, particularly not if they don't let you see the text or a sample first. You had reason to believe it was something you could do, and they didn't warn you this was different. In the future, I would be sure to ask for access or a sample before confirming. I only skip that st... See more
I would tell them what you said here and that it would be better for them to assign it to someone else. Agencies themselves occasionally cancel or postpone jobs, so I don't see why we should hold ourselves to a higher standard, particularly not if they don't let you see the text or a sample first. You had reason to believe it was something you could do, and they didn't warn you this was different. In the future, I would be sure to ask for access or a sample before confirming. I only skip that step when it's for a smart speaker manufacturer whose translations I have edited since 2018 because I know their products and systems now.

I don't agree with those who say it could harm your relationship with the client. We are all humans, not machines, and these things can happen. There is no need to make a conflict out of this.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Christine Andersen
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Aurélien ARPAZ
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:54
English to Turkish
Take Lieven's advice Dec 7, 2023

If they're a regular client and you charge rates as high as your profile suggests in the timezone you're in, it makes no sense to lose a client.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On translating lists Dec 7, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:
Most terminology is out there and if you really can't find it, that's a good time to contact your client to ask for help with the terminology or to make a list with all terminology you're not sure of and send it with your translation.

Most translation agencies would NOT appreciate it if the translator were to send them a list of paragraphs that they are unsure of or did not know how to translate or could not find the translation for. In Annett's case, she'll either have to send back over half of the 1500 paragraphs with question marks, or send back a translation that she knows is 90% bad.

That said, it's possible that the client doesn't care about precision, as long as the text sounds reasonably "German" to a German reader.

But even in such a case, translating a list takes much longer than translating paragraphs of text. If I had to translate a list of 10 000 words, even if I know the translation of each of those words, it would still take me 5-10 times as long as it would have taken to translate paragraph text totalling 10 000 words, and I would not be able to work 8 hours a day (due to fatigue -- you basically have to reset your brain every time you move to the next line).

There is also the difficulty that English is very flexible w.r.t. qualification names, in that it can write nouns separately without the reader having to understand the relationships between the words, whereas in German it is important to actually understand what a qualification name means before you can reliably translate it.

This is the type of translation, I suspect, where simply editing a machine translation may be better for the client's purposes. Annett should perhaps explain this to the client and get their permission to translate the text more loosely, i.e. in a way that may not be 100% grammatically correct in German but which would be useful for the client's purpose.

[Edited at 2023-12-07 09:10 GMT]

Hayley Wakenshaw
Hayley Wakenshaw  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
This is more common than you might think Dec 7, 2023

There have been a couple of occasions when I have misjudged a text and realised after translating a little of it that it was not the right text for me. In both cases, I immediately contacted the PM and very apologetically said that I didn’t feel I would be able to translate it to a high standard. In both cases, the PM thanked me for my honesty, gave the job to someone else, and that was that.

Good PMs and good bureaus want to make sure their clients get the best translations possi
... See more
There have been a couple of occasions when I have misjudged a text and realised after translating a little of it that it was not the right text for me. In both cases, I immediately contacted the PM and very apologetically said that I didn’t feel I would be able to translate it to a high standard. In both cases, the PM thanked me for my honesty, gave the job to someone else, and that was that.

Good PMs and good bureaus want to make sure their clients get the best translations possible. But if some of the texts I’ve revised are anything to go by, many translators are not honest about their limits or capabilities. So a good PM will appreciate a translator who is honest about what they can and cannot do.

I can only imagine that if you’d not even seen the text before you started, the PM would be even more understanding. I would explain what has happened to the PM as soon as possible so their own deadlines aren’t jeopardised.

Personally, I would NOT attempt to translate the text. If it turns out that you can’t do a good job even after spending hours researching terms, it could negatively impact your relationship with the client, and they might even withhold payment. Even if you can actually translate the text decently with a lot of research, you’ll end up with a very poor hourly rate for your work (and a sore bum from sitting at your desk for so long!).

[Edited at 2023-12-07 11:02 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Rachel Waddington
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Aurélien ARPAZ
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Agneta Pallinder

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:54
English to Turkish
It must be wonderful to be a native English translator Dec 7, 2023

Hayley Wakenshaw wrote:
But if some of the texts I’ve revised are anything to go by, many translators are not honest about their limits or capabilities. So a good PM will appreciate a translator who is honest about what they can and cannot do.

So you're able to demonstrate such poor translations to the PMs, because everybody in the world can speak and understand English. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to do the same with Turkish to a Danish or American PM. Some people get away with murder..

Lingua 5B
Rachel Waddington
Nadja Balogh
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How bad is declining job after accepting it

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »