Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Who is to blame for a false translation with legal consequences - the translator or the proofreader?
Thread poster: Anna A. K.
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:51
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
The agencies... Feb 5, 2023

...because they hold a business liability insurance or at least they should be able to afford any from the money they earn with their "resources".

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:51
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Correct... Feb 6, 2023

Matthias Brombach wrote:

...because they hold a business liability insurance or at least they should be able to afford any from the money they earn with their "resources".

but do you know what the insurance company will do?

Christopher Schröder

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
A bunch of corporate lawyers Feb 6, 2023

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

but do you know what the insurance company will do?

Considering an agency has a bunch of corporate lawyers working for them, I can only assume what will happen.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
If you have money for a lawyer Feb 6, 2023

Adieu wrote:

Due to PM error, I once saw a certain agency's document on their letterhead (probably for end clients?) with my name on it, stating that I had "certified" a translation.

Did I revise it? Yes.
Did I certify it? NO.
Had anyone from their company ever asked me to certify any translation? NO.

Based on the amount of stuff I had done for them, I imagine there were ~1000 documents floating around somewhere "certified" by me, without my knowledge.

If you can hire a lawyer, you know what you can do. Can your lawyer beat their 20 corporate lawyers? Not sure.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:51
Member (2004)
English to Italian
What happens... Feb 7, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Considering an agency has a bunch of corporate lawyers working for them, I can only assume what will happen.

The insurance company will cover the agency and then it will go after the translator/proofreader to recoup the money.

Christopher Schröder

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:51
Chinese
The project manager Feb 8, 2023

who organizes the translator and proofreader. And depending on the contract, PM might be able to wriggle out of it and shift the blame onto the translator who in turn can shift it on the proofreader.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who is to blame for a false translation with legal consequences - the translator or the proofreader?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »