Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:01
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sep 10, 2012

I'm not sure I can ask this, I hope so. I have come across the following site, through researching language jobs in the US market; it appears bona fide, but it wants money before one can see the projects offered; which of course is always worrying.

Any of you know it, is it for real?

Thanks! (and sorry if I'm not allowed t
... See more
I'm not sure I can ask this, I hope so. I have come across the following site, through researching language jobs in the US market; it appears bona fide, but it wants money before one can see the projects offered; which of course is always worrying.

Thanks! (and sorry if I'm not allowed to do this)

http://www.teachersacrosstheplanet.com
Collapse

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 05:01
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
If you have some spare money to throw away Sep 10, 2012

Sian Cooper wrote:

Sian, as far as I know at the moment there are only two web sites for professional translators which really work and are worth investing. All others... Well, if you have some spare money to throw away you may try...

NK

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't delay, fall for it today Sep 10, 2012

Send me some cash and I'll tell you if it's bona fide or not...

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Hmmm Sep 10, 2012

For an "organization" that charges membership fees, the website looks very rudimentary, but that is not necessarily indicative of the job quality - it's something I take note of, i.e. if a website looks professional or not. First impressions matter.

In any event, I would be careful of any service that charges money before you can actually see or test what they are offering. I think the ProZ model is pretty good: You have access to a lot of features if you don't pay, but if you are a
... See more
For an "organization" that charges membership fees, the website looks very rudimentary, but that is not necessarily indicative of the job quality - it's something I take note of, i.e. if a website looks professional or not. First impressions matter.

In any event, I would be careful of any service that charges money before you can actually see or test what they are offering. I think the ProZ model is pretty good: You have access to a lot of features if you don't pay, but if you are a paying member, you have access to loads more services and information. For me, it has been worth the membership fees I have paid for the last 7 years. However, on the site you link to, there's no way of knowing what you are paying for.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good advice Sep 10, 2012

Woodstock wrote:

In any event, I would be careful of any service that charges money before you can actually see or test what they are offering. I think the ProZ model is pretty good: You have access to a lot of features if you don't pay, but if you are a paying member, you have access to loads more services and information. For me, it has been worth the membership fees I have paid for the last 7 years. However, on the site you link to, there's no way of knowing what you are paying for.

I agree, although I also tend to avoid sites which look too professional or slick.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:01
Hebrew to English
Dodgy Sep 10, 2012

No matter else what is wrong with them, the Benetton-esque cheesy photo on the main page is enough to send me running.

When something is both fishy and cheesy, it just can't be good.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nonsense! Sep 10, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Cheesy fish gratin, for example!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And that one-.--- Sep 10, 2012

neilmac wrote:
I agree, although I also tend to avoid sites which look too professional or slick.

- and that one doesn't look either professional or slick. Stock photographs of "business people" of an appropriate ethnic mix, doing "businesslike things" (such as looking at pie charts) are an instant turn-off.

In this case it seems to be a strange photoshopped collage that includes *two* radiators, one in front of the other, and a woman with one extremely long arm, leaning on one of these radiators (but apparently not burning herself).

(All you translators with your own websites who use stock photography, please note).

I also note there are no contact details: no postal address, no phone number....

Also note that they say "We receive on average at least 25 new projects everyday". This tells you that they don't know the difference between "every day" and "everyday". They're not even literate !

So Sian - I would advise you to stay away from these people.

[Edited at 2012-09-10 12:29 GMT]

Kay Barbara
Kay Barbara
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
What Tom said and ... Sep 10, 2012

if the first FAQ item is "How do I pay?", that really does say a lot ...
Stay away.

Tom in London wrote:

neilmac wrote:

- and that one doesn't look either professional or slick. Stock photographs of "business people" of an appropriate ethnic mix, doing "businesslike things" (such as looking at pie charts) are an instant turn-off.

In this case it seems to be a strange photoshopped collage that includes *two* radiators, one in front of the other, and a woman with one extremely long arm, leaning on one of these radiators (but apparently not burning herself).

(All you translators with your own websites who use stock photography, please note).

I also note there are no contact details: no postal address, no phone number....

Also note that they say "We receive on average at least 25 new projects everyday". This tells you that they don't know the difference between "every day" and "everyday". They're not even literate !

So Sian - I would advise you to stay away from these people.

[Edited at 2012-09-10 12:29 GMT]

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yuk Sep 10, 2012

That picture, with the outstretched hand to boot, and the strangely unrealistic brick wall and view from the window.

Patrice
Patrice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:01
French to English
+ ...
I think there's a culinary rule against it Sep 11, 2012

JaneD wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

Patrice
Patrice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:01
French to English
+ ...
And isn't there a culinary rule against this combination? Sep 11, 2012

JaneD wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

Culinary and linguistic no-no.

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you all Sep 11, 2012

In future I shall allow my nose to guide me...

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:01
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Look at the ATA-logo Sep 12, 2012

They stole it from the ATA website, just cut the image, did not even bother removing "Home" form the graphic. Amazing.

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the "Scams" forum?

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Yup, think you're right, should be in scams Sep 12, 2012

It really should be announced as a scam - moderators, do you want to move it, or should I just post a new thread there?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know this site?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »