Russian characters vanish when sgml file is viewed in Framemaker
Thread poster: Nia Foster
Nia Foster
Nia Foster
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
Swedish to English
Jan 19, 2007

I have an sgml document that has been translated into Russian from English.
When it is opened in FrameMaker, two of the characters (Ч and Р) in both upper and lower case are missing.
I have installed system supports and selected the appropriate cyrillic version font.
Oddly, if the document is opened in textpad and the letter copied and pasted into FM the character is visible - it seems it is not initially recognised when the file is opened.

I have over 20 files o
... See more
I have an sgml document that has been translated into Russian from English.
When it is opened in FrameMaker, two of the characters (Ч and Р) in both upper and lower case are missing.
I have installed system supports and selected the appropriate cyrillic version font.
Oddly, if the document is opened in textpad and the letter copied and pasted into FM the character is visible - it seems it is not initially recognised when the file is opened.

I have over 20 files of multiple pages so cut and paste it's not really an option - additionally, I don't read Russian.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Am I missing something?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Nicola
Collapse

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:30
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
font? Jan 19, 2007

I know from experience that for example Korean and Chinese words don't display correctly with certain fonts. Try to apply Arial Unicode MS font and see if that corrects your problem.

Kathi

Nia Foster
Nia Foster
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
No changing font does not help :( Jan 19, 2007

No changing the font does not resolve the problem.
As I say, if I cut and paste the character from notepad it appears fine in framemaker - once saved closed and opened again, the characters have again vanished.

The missing characters are not replaced by & or other incorrect characters, they are simply not there - not even a space or other place marker.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russian characters vanish when sgml file is viewed in Framemaker

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »