Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 12:28
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
追悼
Dec 12, 2006

Hi, ProZers!

I hope I haven't missed this in a previous forum.

I recently upgraded to MS Word 2003. Previously, when I entered comments in a document, they appeared in a separate pane, while the changes to the document appeared (via colored lines) in the document.

Now, the changes are appearing in the "comment pane" and I can't find my comments because of all the rewriting and corrections in the text itself.

I've used the Help tool and tried
... See more
Hi, ProZers!

I hope I haven't missed this in a previous forum.

I recently upgraded to MS Word 2003. Previously, when I entered comments in a document, they appeared in a separate pane, while the changes to the document appeared (via colored lines) in the document.

Now, the changes are appearing in the "comment pane" and I can't find my comments because of all the rewriting and corrections in the text itself.

I've used the Help tool and tried to find a way to toggle this off, but nothing works! I hope somebody can give me some ideas.

TIA!!!
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 15:28
2000に入会
ギリシャ語 から 英語
+ ...
Options Dec 12, 2006

Hi Patricia,

Go to Tools -> Options -> Track Changes tab
Under "Balloons" uncheck the first checkbox (Use balloons in Print and Web Layout).

Maria

Patricia Rosas
米国
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
追悼
not using balloons Dec 12, 2006

Thanks, Maria, but I'm not using balloons. The changes appear in the main body of the text, and then are all repeated in the pane that opens when I try to view the comments.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks much!

Alexandre Coutu
Alexandre Coutu
カナダ
Local time: 14:28
英語 から フランス語
Not clear Dec 12, 2006

I'm not too clear on what you want to do...

Patricia Rosas
米国
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
追悼
a pane with ONLY comments ... Dec 12, 2006

is what I need. Sorry -- it is a bit hard to explain!

If I insert an entire new paragraph into the document, that paragraph appears in the main body of the text, and it is DUPLICATED in its ENTIRETY in the pane that contains the comments.

In other words, the pane contains (duplicates) every single change or mark I've made in the main body of the text. I want those to go away (in the pane, but remain in the body of the text) so that I (and others) can easily see the co
... See more
is what I need. Sorry -- it is a bit hard to explain!

If I insert an entire new paragraph into the document, that paragraph appears in the main body of the text, and it is DUPLICATED in its ENTIRETY in the pane that contains the comments.

In other words, the pane contains (duplicates) every single change or mark I've made in the main body of the text. I want those to go away (in the pane, but remain in the body of the text) so that I (and others) can easily see the comments -- and only the comments -- that I've made.

Thanks again!
Collapse

Maria Karra
米国
2000に入会
ギリシャ語 から 英語
+ ...
reviewing pane Dec 12, 2006

Patricia Rosas wrote:

Maybe in previous Word versions this was called the "comment pane", I don't know. In Word 2002 (and probably 2003 as well) it's called the "reviewing pane" and includes comments and track changes. I don't think you can modify the display of the reviewing pane. You can choose to show/hide comments or track changes in the document, but I don't think the reviewing pane at the bottom can be modified. I hope I'm wrong because it can get quite crowded and difficult to read.

Maria

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
スイス
Local time: 21:28
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
Color Dec 12, 2006

Hi Patricia!

I'm not sure you can toggle this off (I'm using Office 2004 for Macintosh, but the layout should be very similar). However, under "tools - track changes", you can assign a specific color to comments made by individual authors. That way, you should be able to find your comments quickly despite everything else that's "cluttering" your documents. Hope this helps.

Patricia Rosas
米国
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
追悼
ouch! Dec 12, 2006

Maria Karra wrote:

... I don't think the reviewing pane at the bottom can be modified. I hope I'm wrong because it can get quite crowded and difficult to read.

Maria

I feared this might be the case. Why can't things be left alone? It worked so well before. Who needs to see all the changes TWICE (esp. out of context)?

But thanks anyway for sharing this... perhaps someone out there will prove us wrong! (Fingers crossed ...)

Patricia Rosas
米国
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
追悼
thanks ... Dec 12, 2006

Cetacea wrote:

... under "tools - track changes", you can assign a specific color to comments made by individual authors. That way, you should be able to find your comments quickly despite everything else that's "cluttering" your documents. Hope this helps.

Thanks for suggesting that, but I'm the only person commenting. I'm rewriting something written in English by a team of Ecuadorian writers...so I'm essentially writing over everything, and I'm putting in comments where things aren't clear. Oh, well, at least now I'll stop toggling every button in MS Word!

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
スイス
Local time: 21:28
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
Found it! Dec 12, 2006

Patricia Rosas wrote:
Thanks for suggesting that, but I'm the only person commenting. I'm rewriting something written in English by a team of Ecuadorian writers...so I'm essentially writing over everything, and I'm putting in comments where things aren't clear. Oh, well, at least now I'll stop toggling every button in MS Word!
Thanks to everyone for their help!

You're welcome. But I think I've found the solution now! It's going to be a bit tricky, since I'm using the German version, but let's try:

In the Review Toolbar (to the left of the blue arrows), there is an item called "Show" or "Display" or something along those lines. Click on it, and you'll unscroll a list of items that Word will show if you use track changes, starting with "Comments", followed by "Insertions and Deletions", "Formatting", "Authors", etc.

"Un-select" Insertions and Deletions, and they will no longer appear in the reviewing panes, only in the text.

-------------------

Sorry Patricia and Maria. I've checked and re-checked, but it works in Word 2004 for Macintosh. And I thought Word 2003 worked pretty much the same. Seems it doesn't this time.

[Edited at 2006-12-12 19:37]

[Edited at 2006-12-12 19:39]

[Edited at 2006-12-13 10:02]

Maria Karra
米国
2000に入会
ギリシャ語 から 英語
+ ...
opposite in my version of Word Dec 12, 2006

Cetacea wrote:
"Un-select" Insertions and Deletions, and they will no longer appear in the reviewing panes, only in the text.

I hope this works for Patricia. For me it does the opposite (in Word 2002): insertions and deletions are hidden from the text but are still visible in the reviewing pane.
Maria

Patricia Rosas
米国
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
追悼
doesn't work ... boo, hoo! Dec 12, 2006

Cetacea wrote:

[Edited at 2006-12-12 19:37]

[Edited at 2006-12-12 19:39]

I had the same result as Maria Karra -- the changes disappear in the document, but not in the pane (and I have toggled all the things in that drop down menu).

I so appreciate it that you and others took the time to try to figure this out. Thanks to all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word Track Changes: Hiding changes in comment pane

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »