Renew NIS 2004 or buy NIS 2006: which would you go for?
Thread poster: Jason Willis-Lee
Jason Willis-Lee
Jason Willis-Lee  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2006

Hi there,

First of all, happy new year to one and all!

I´m currently using NIS 2004 which expires in a few days time and I´m thinking of either renewing or buying a new product NIS 2006.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it good value for money, I mean does it have any added features or contain more protection than NIS 2004. Differences between sub renewal and new product is only about 10€. I´m more or less decided to go for the new version but
... See more
Hi there,

First of all, happy new year to one and all!

I´m currently using NIS 2004 which expires in a few days time and I´m thinking of either renewing or buying a new product NIS 2006.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it good value for money, I mean does it have any added features or contain more protection than NIS 2004. Differences between sub renewal and new product is only about 10€. I´m more or less decided to go for the new version but would appreciate any feedback from colleagues first.

Many thanks in advance.
Jason.
Collapse

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Buy NIS 06 Jan 11, 2006

I have decided to buy NIS 2006 (one week ago).

It will drive you a bit crazy upon installing and for the first day but nothing you can't manage if you have successfully dealt with NIS 2004.

I believe some things are working better and faster, they have fixed some bugs. I have quite a powerful machine but, for example, it used to take quite a while to close files and this has been fixed with NIS 2006. I am quite happy, and this is of course only my personal experience wi
... See more
I have decided to buy NIS 2006 (one week ago).

It will drive you a bit crazy upon installing and for the first day but nothing you can't manage if you have successfully dealt with NIS 2004.

I believe some things are working better and faster, they have fixed some bugs. I have quite a powerful machine but, for example, it used to take quite a while to close files and this has been fixed with NIS 2006. I am quite happy, and this is of course only my personal experience with my specific system. The guy that provides me technical assistance says NIS 2004 is awful so he decided to uninstall it, so opinions vary as you must know.

Also, like I have mentioned before, I have only tried it for a week.

Hope it helps!

Fred
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
http://www.mcse.ms/message1942798.html Jan 11, 2006

http://www.mcse.ms/message1942798.html

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Because of major speed issues I decided AGAINST Norton Jan 11, 2006

I've been using Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet Security at least since 2001. Each year I bought a new version, as the upgrade and prolongation were almost the same price.
The latest version I used was NIS 2005, which was much better than 2004 in terms of PC speed.
Nevertheless, in a lot of fora I read that Norton is slowing down the PC due to huge ressources consumed by the product.
So I decided to migrate and chose Sygate Personal Firewall Platinum and the antivirus
... See more
I've been using Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet Security at least since 2001. Each year I bought a new version, as the upgrade and prolongation were almost the same price.
The latest version I used was NIS 2005, which was much better than 2004 in terms of PC speed.
Nevertheless, in a lot of fora I read that Norton is slowing down the PC due to huge ressources consumed by the product.
So I decided to migrate and chose Sygate Personal Firewall Platinum and the antivirus from Antivir.de.
Although I cannot directly compare the PC speed between NIS and Sygate, as I also upgraded the HDD system to a much faster solution, I indeed have the impression, that this combo is working smoother.
The only thing I miss now is the anti-spam functionality of NIS for MS Outlook.

Best
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Renew NIS 2004 or buy NIS 2006: which would you go for?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »