WinFax Pro problem:Help please
Thread poster: Martin Fraser (X)
Martin Fraser (X)
Martin Fraser (X)
Local time: 00:49
German to English
+ ...
Nov 3, 2005

I want to use this fax programme on the same phone number as my landline phone. However the programme cannot distinguish between an incoming voice call and an incoming fax call. I am using a 'splitter' in the phone socket, with one outlet to the phone and the other outlet to the fax programme. However when a voice call comes in, the fax programme activates.
Pls help. Thanks.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:49
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Uncheck "Automatic Receive" Nov 3, 2005

by right clicking on WinFax icon on the toolbar or going to Tools-Program setup- Receive in program window.

Also, correct way to connect is to to plug the wire from the wall into your modem's "Line" socket and your phone- into modem's "Phone" socket. (Your computer hasn't to be turned on for you to able to use the phone).

Uldis

[Edited at 2005-11-03 16:11]

Martin Fraser (X)
Martin Fraser (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Nov 4, 2005

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

by right clicking on WinFax icon on the toolbar or going to Tools-Program setup- Receive in program window.

Also, correct way to connect is to to plug the wire from the wall into your modem's "Line" socket and your phone- into modem's "Phone" socket. (Your computer hasn't to be turned on for you to able to use the phone).

Uldis

[Edited at 2005-11-03 16:11]

I do not have a separate modem, with a Line socket and a Phone socket. My modem is inside the computer.

Also, according to the WinFax Help manual, if Automatic Receive is deactivated it is necessary to receive the fax 'manually'. This means me being at the computer, when the call comes in, in order to decide if it is a voice call or a fax call.

What I am looking for is for the WinFax programme to decide automatically if it is a voice call or a phone call.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:49
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Explanation Nov 4, 2005

Martin Fraser wrote:
I do not have a separate modem, with a Line socket and a Phone socket. My modem is inside the computer.

So is mine. But on the back side of the computer there none the less are these 2 sockets in your modem card's back. But actually it should work OK also with your parallel wires, I've had it both ways and it did.

Also, according to the WinFax Help manual, if Automatic Receive is deactivated it is necessary to receive the fax 'manually'. This means me being at the computer, when the call comes in, in order to decide if it is a voice call or a fax call.

What I am looking for is for the WinFax programme to decide automatically if it is a voice call or a phone call.

It does not distinguish automatically. If I'm at the computer and if I expect a fax in few minutes, I set it to "Automatic receive"- speeds it up, you know. Also if I leave the computer, I also set it to automatic receive. Otherwise pick up the phone and if you hear fax tones, right click on the WinFax toolbar icon and left click "Manually Receive Now".

Uldis

Martin Fraser (X)
Martin Fraser (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Now clarified Nov 4, 2005

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Martin Fraser wrote:

So is mine. But on the back side of the computer there none the less are these 2 sockets in your modem card's back. But actually it should work OK also with your parallel wires, I've had it both ways and it did.

It does not distinguish automatically. If I'm at the computer and if I expect a fax in few minutes, I set it to "Automatic receive"- speeds it up, you know. Also if I leave the computer, I also set it to automatic receive. Otherwise pick up the phone and if you hear fax tones, right click on the WinFax toolbar icon and left click "Manually Receive Now".

Uldis

Yes, I now realise that it won't distinguish between a voice call and a fax call automatically.

I FINALLY got a reply from Symantec technical support, one which corresponded to my question.

When I had, on a previous computer (Win95), the Phonetools programme it DID distinguish between the two types of call. I have contacted Phonetools to ask if the latest version will. If it does I will buy the latest Phonetools. If it does not I will have to keep WinFax and follow your suggestions, i.e. when I am out of the house I will leave it on Auto Receive, when I am in the house I will use Manual Receive.

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinFax Pro problem:Help please

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »