Is there a limit to the size of Word files?
Thread poster: Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:54
English to Arabic
Jul 13, 2004

I'm working on a project divided in big files 1-5 MB, using Trados. I keep getting an alarm that Word doesn't have enough memory. Is there a limit to the size of Word files? If so, how big can a Word file be without problems?

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've gotten the same message before Jul 13, 2004

Hi Tamara,

Years ago while working on a 92 page project I got the same message and was unable to save the file. I don't know what is the maximum amount of text or graphics Word can handle but I've also had the same experience when working with a Word document with embedded pictures. In such cases, I am able to save the file but it will not allow me to send it by email.

Regards,
Belkis

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:54
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There may be a size limit for Word file Jul 13, 2004

but files of 1 - 5 MB are not that big...
You may take a look on these articles from MS Knowledge Base, as I don't know, under which particular conditions this message appears: ... See more
but files of 1 - 5 MB are not that big...
You may take a look on these articles from MS Knowledge Base, as I don't know, under which particular conditions this message appears: http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?InCC_hdn=true&QuerySource=gASr_Query&Catalog=LCID=1033&CDID=EN-US-KB&PRODLISTSRC=ON&Product=wrd&Queryc=not%20enough%20memory&Query=not%20enough%20memory&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=150&Titles=false&numDays=&InCC=on

You may also consider adding memory to your system, as Word should be able to open texts with much more than 5 MB in size.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Tamara Zahran
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
More explanation Jul 13, 2004

[quote]Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You may take a look on these articles from MS Knowledge Base, as I don\'t know, under which particular conditions this message appears

Thank you Jerzy, maybe I should explain more about the conditions under which I\'m working. I\'m working with Trados and I keep getting these alarms when I click \"Next\" on the Trados toolbar. The file is full of images, can this be the problem?

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:54
German to French
+ ...
Limit for word files Jul 13, 2004

I don't know about limit on word files. I did lately a translation on a 17 Mb document divided in 4 Parts and I may say Trados still did work.
I took however for me such a time going from TU to TU that I ended up doing it manually.

Selçuk Budak
Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
32 MB Jul 13, 2004

The actual limit for Word documents is 32 MB (Word 2000).
(Word, Help, index, "limits for Words" would give you detailed information)

But the warning you receive does not depend on the limit of Word application, but on the system resources. Read Word help for "memory optimization."

You may consider upgrading your hardware, or buying additional RAM.

I work with files as much as 12-15 MB with full of tables, etc. without problems although it gets someho
... See more
The actual limit for Word documents is 32 MB (Word 2000).
(Word, Help, index, "limits for Words" would give you detailed information)

But the warning you receive does not depend on the limit of Word application, but on the system resources. Read Word help for "memory optimization."

I work with files as much as 12-15 MB with full of tables, etc. without problems although it gets somehow slower.
regards,
selçuk

NOTE. You can also cut the size of your files. For example, you may divide a 5 MB file into two or more documents, work with them separately, and after finishing the job, you can easily re-combine them into a single document

[Edited at 2004-07-13 20:00]
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
try working on normal view Jul 13, 2004

If there isn't a mandatory reason why you should see the images, work in Normal view. This way Word does not load the images, i.e., you only see the text and will use a lot less memory.

Another trick is to uncheck Tools-Options-View-Drawings, Word won't display the images even on Print view.

If you need them as reference you can eventually have a quick Preview and back to work in Normal view.

HTH,
Grace.

Tamara Zahran
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
You have been all very helpful Jul 13, 2004

Thank you all. You have been very helpful. I'll try the solutions you provided, and see what happens.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I've had Jul 13, 2004

Word files little below 100 Mb and they did open. (Such huge files sometimes happen as a result of what Finereader or voice recognition software does, when the file is created via it). I managed to reduce their size to about few Mb simply by saving them as *.rtf and then back to Word again.

Normally some 35 Mb doesn't cause any problems, nor does considerably slow our regular system (1,4 GHz, 512 Mb RAM). The Office is XP, though.

Uldis

Tamara Zahran
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
I'm sure the problem is not in the hard disk space Jul 13, 2004

Some of you suggested that this problem might be due to lack of disk space, or RAM, which can't possibly be the problem here because I have 120 GB of disk space, of which 13% only is used, 512 RAM, and 3.06GHz speed. My operating system is Windows XP, and I use MS Office 2003.

I tried deselecting the view drawings option in the tools menu and things are going smoothly so far.

Thank you all

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Estonian
+ ...
Adding memory may not help Jul 13, 2004

This may not help, for many needs, like VBA, Word allocates a fixed-size chunk of memory regardless of the amount of memory in the computer.

Tamara Zahran
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 14, 2004

[quote]Graciela Carlyle wrote:

Another trick is to uncheck Tools-Options-View-Drawings, Word won't display the images even on Print view.

Thank you very much Graciela. This was very effective.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a limit to the size of Word files?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »