Thread poster: Carmen Martinez Silva
Carmen Martinez Silva
Carmen Martinez Silva
Italy
Local time: 20:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 12, 2004

Could anyone tell me whether the fares for translating with Quark should be higher than with normal word processors? Do you proceed much slowlier than with Word?

Claudio Nasso
Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Rates should be different May 13, 2004

Carmen Martínez Silva wrote:

Could anyone tell me whether the fares for translating with Quark should be higher than with normal word processors? Do you proceed much slowlier than with Word?

Dear Carmen,

I'd say that, if you are translating a Quark XPress file, you should use a different rate for two main reasons:

• If you are translating a text using your normal word processor you probably use glossaries, routines and whatever other mean that could help you in carrying out your job. In this case you can invoice your work using your normal rate.

• Quark XPress is specialized a DTP software in which you can edit/translate the text as you prefer (provided that you know how to do it) but in this case you cannot use those same means you use with your normal word processor. And, in any case, you are working on a specialized software whose aim is not to edit/translating text (even if it is possible) but to generate a professional lay-out (integrating text, images and graphics) for a brochure, book or magazine.

I regularly use Quark XPress to generate the layout of the books, brochures, etc. I translate, but all the editing/translation operations are carried out using an external word processor and, as last step, the translated/edited text is imported and formatted in Quark XPress. And this is a cost, don't you think?

So, in my opinion, you should use a different rate when a client requests to work in Quark XPress (I invoice the client for this type of work, and in addition to the translation).

Claudio

Carmen Martinez Silva
Carmen Martinez Silva
Italy
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much May 13, 2004

Thanx a lot for your detailed reply. I'd guessed so, but not being very familiar with Quark, I could not really be sure. It's the same when translating text in Powerpoint, but my clients have never accepted an increase for working with this software. In the present case, though, was the client who asked me how much the extra cost would be, so I thought better asking here.

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Definetely! May 13, 2004

When translating to Quark, Framemaker, Pagemaker or any other DTP platform there are two charges. One is the charge for translating, editing, and proofreading (after all the document should be ready for publication). The other is the charge for doing the DTP work itself, which is the adjustment of the target text to the original layout. You may have to replace font sizes, hyphens, etc., which takes time and you must be paid for that.

As a general rule, translation is charged by the
... See more
When translating to Quark, Framemaker, Pagemaker or any other DTP platform there are two charges. One is the charge for translating, editing, and proofreading (after all the document should be ready for publication). The other is the charge for doing the DTP work itself, which is the adjustment of the target text to the original layout. You may have to replace font sizes, hyphens, etc., which takes time and you must be paid for that.

As a general rule, translation is charged by the word, character, or line, while DTP is charged by the hour.

HIH,

Ricardo
Collapse

Carmen Martinez Silva
Carmen Martinez Silva
Italy
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Muchas gracias, Ricardo May 13, 2004

Eso me parecía, pero no estaba segura, por eso pedía confirmación. Muchas gracias a los dos.

Nigel Skipper (X)
Nigel Skipper (X)
Swedish to English
You have to cover your costs, too May 13, 2004

Quark Xpress is by no means a cheap bundle of software - it even makes Trados look reasonable! If your customer requires you to use Xpress, he/she should realize that you have invested both money (software cost) and time (learning all of Quark's tricks!) in doing the work in his/her format.

//Nigel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation with Quark

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »