Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:13
English to German
+ ...
Mar 20, 2004

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this:
I have a couple of glossary files (actually, quite a lot of them) and wanted to search all of them simultaneously. Somehow, this isn't working with +Tools as these are comma separated files (and for some reason, +Tools does not support csv files; at least +Tools isn't able to find *any* files in this specific folder).

Any idea how I can perform a quick search on all of them without installing a new software?<
... See more
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this:
I have a couple of glossary files (actually, quite a lot of them) and wanted to search all of them simultaneously. Somehow, this isn't working with +Tools as these are comma separated files (and for some reason, +Tools does not support csv files; at least +Tools isn't able to find *any* files in this specific folder).

Any idea how I can perform a quick search on all of them without installing a new software?

TIA.

Sonja
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Agent Ransack Mar 20, 2004

Sonja,

ich benutze es tagtäglich und bin sehr zufrieden. Toll für die MS-Glossaries z.B. Ist zwar Freeware, ich würde aber dafür auch zahlen...

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

Geneviève:)

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:13
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Search and Replace Mar 20, 2004

I use Search and Replace from Funduc Software which, IMHO, is one of the best search tools around. The demo version is free; the registered version is $25 (best $25 I've ever spent), and includes free quarterly upgrades for a year.

You can search any text-based file format, including .csv, .ttx (useful when working with Trados TagEditor), also .zip files and subdirectories. Searches can be set to be case-sensitve, whole word only, etc. It's fabulous for searching through the Micro
... See more
I use Search and Replace from Funduc Software which, IMHO, is one of the best search tools around. The demo version is free; the registered version is $25 (best $25 I've ever spent), and includes free quarterly upgrades for a year.

You can search any text-based file format, including .csv, .ttx (useful when working with Trados TagEditor), also .zip files and subdirectories. Searches can be set to be case-sensitve, whole word only, etc. It's fabulous for searching through the Microsoft glossaries, and I found it invaluable when I was editing literally hundreds of .ttx files (that's where the "replace" function came in handy).

Go to www.funduc.com, look for "Search and Replace".
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
I second what Ulrike says Mar 21, 2004

Ulrike Lieder wrote:

I use Search and Replace from Funduc Software which, IMHO, is one of the best search tools around.

Search and Replace is great.

I find myself using it all the time.

Cheers,

Giles

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
examine32 Mar 21, 2004

I use Examine32 (http://www.examine32.com/), which I guess is comparable to Search and Replace, and don't know what I would do without it!
Also shareware, free demo version for 30 days, 28 euro to register it.
Roberta

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 21, 2004

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I am currently not willing to install another software on my PC, so I suppose I'll have to find another workaround for this problem.

Anyway, thanks again to all of you.

Sonja

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Plus Tools Mar 21, 2004

Plus Tools should work. Be careful not to limit the file selection only to *.doc files, for example. You could also try to rename the files to *.txt if they have the .csv extension. You can do it using a single command from the command line:
ren *.csv *.txt

By the way, I use Total Commander (formerly Windows Commander) to search in multiple files.

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
+Tools not working Mar 21, 2004

Hello Hynek,

I have been trying +Tools on this, but it isn't working in my particular case. I have tried ALL settings, but it didn't work out.

Anyway, +Tools isn't a real good choice in this case as it doesn't allow on-the-fly search. +Tools can only handle the document that is currently opened in Word. You can only choose from other files if no other documents are opened in Word.

Thanks,

Sonja...
See more
Hello Hynek,

I have been trying +Tools on this, but it isn't working in my particular case. I have tried ALL settings, but it didn't work out.

Anyway, +Tools isn't a real good choice in this case as it doesn't allow on-the-fly search. +Tools can only handle the document that is currently opened in Word. You can only choose from other files if no other documents are opened in Word.

Thanks,

Sonja
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
FIND command Mar 21, 2004

Hi Sonja,

You can try the "find" command. Open the command line (click Start - Run and type "cmd") and enter "find /?". This will display the syntax of the command. For example:

find "search_term" *.csv

or, with a pause after each screen:

find "search_term" *.csv |more

(the directory with the glossary files has to be the current directory)

This is not very comfortable, but you won't have to install any new software.

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Concordance in Wordfast Mar 21, 2004

You can save the csv-files (or txt-files) in a new folder, or your regular condcordance folder in Wordfast. Remember to add the folder to search in Wordfast setup.

CTRL+ALT+N does the trick.

This works also with the demo version, of course (for those who do not have a license for Wordfast yet

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you tried WinGrep? Mar 22, 2004

Funduc Search and Replace is the best that I've tried so far, but Windows Grep (www.wingrep.com) is also good and it's free. Also, it doesn't take much space in your hard drive.

HTH.
Regards,
Jerónimo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Concordance in Wordfast Mar 22, 2004

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:
Somehow, this isn't working with +Tools as these are comma separated files...

Since you are using PlusTools, I assume you have Wordfast as well. In that case, I agree with Ivan. Use Wordfast's concordance search feature. Simply put all the files in one folder, and set Wordfast up to use that folder as the "concordance".

The search function in PlusTools 2.7 (an older version I use) does not display the results like the concordance search does. Instead, it stops at the first encounter.

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 20:13
English to Russian
+ ...
the really best are Jun 17, 2004

Textpipe (also has special versions WordPipe, ExcelPipe, Datapipe) and PowerGrep (You can find both with Google).
The T&B versions available on their websites.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching in several files simultaneously

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »