search facility in Windows Explorer/MS Office
Thread poster: lexical
lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:34
Portuguese to English
Feb 9, 2009

Does anyone know if there is a software application that makes it possible to search for a word/phrase within Word files in Windows Explorer without opening the files? I was searching today for a piece of legal boilerplate that wasn't in my Trados TMs, probably because it had been translated originally from PDF or even a fax. The passage I was looking for contained the words "Palm Sunday", so it should have been easy to locate if one had such a search facility. I remembered the passage, but not ... See more
Does anyone know if there is a software application that makes it possible to search for a word/phrase within Word files in Windows Explorer without opening the files? I was searching today for a piece of legal boilerplate that wasn't in my Trados TMs, probably because it had been translated originally from PDF or even a fax. The passage I was looking for contained the words "Palm Sunday", so it should have been easy to locate if one had such a search facility. I remembered the passage, but not which file it was in, or even which year. Opening each of several hundred likely files just wasn't an option.

I'm using Office XP Professional (aka Office 2002) on Windows XP Professional, and I have about 5 million words in past translations on disk or external drive, any of which I might want to search at some time.

I'd be grateful for any pointers or suggestions.
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:34
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
InfoRapid Search & Replace Feb 9, 2009

http://www.inforapid.com/html/english.htm

is free (for personal use) and really fast. Works fine for me also with Vista and Office 2003.

Please note: "InfoRapid Search & Replace is freeware and may be copied, distributed and used for private purposes without any limitations. Installing and using the freeware version on a commercially used computer is absolutely prohibit
... See more
http://www.inforapid.com/html/english.htm

is free (for personal use) and really fast. Works fine for me also with Vista and Office 2003.

Please note: "InfoRapid Search & Replace is freeware and may be copied, distributed and used for private purposes without any limitations. Installing and using the freeware version on a commercially used computer is absolutely prohibited. In order to use the program commercially, you need one license
(25 Euro) for every user."

HTH,

Uldis

[Rediģēts plkst. 2009-02-09 20:28 GMT]
Collapse

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 13:34
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Windows; MS Word Feb 9, 2009

The built-in search in Windows should be able to do that, since you have MS Word installed on your computer.
Besides, the Open dialog in MS Word also can search in files for text.
And Windows Search is a free search tool from MS, which can index and search files, presumably better than the search tool in Windows XP.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
google desktop Feb 10, 2009

If you're looking for a more general desktop search engine you might want to take a look at Google Desktop. It can index all sorts of text files (I think it even does pdf), including file names and contents, your web history and email: pretty much everything. If your machine is powerful enough that you don't need to worry about it running in the background it's nice to have.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Google Desktop Feb 10, 2009

searches content even on network drives.
I find it very convenient (and it's free).
Philippe

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Feb 10, 2009

...for all your suggestions, which I look forward to evaluating.

whiterajah
whiterajah
English to French
Copernic Mar 24, 2009

I use Copernic Desktop Search which I can highly recommend. It can search all Microsoft Office files - Word, Excel, etc. I recommend version 2 (freeware), which is actually more powerful than 3. Copernic can also search your e-mails in Outlook, Windows Mail (but not Windows Live Mail) and just about any other file on your PC, including music, etc.

Works very well in XP or Vista.

For searching of filenames only, the best software I have encountered for this pur
... See more
I use Copernic Desktop Search which I can highly recommend. It can search all Microsoft Office files - Word, Excel, etc. I recommend version 2 (freeware), which is actually more powerful than 3. Copernic can also search your e-mails in Outlook, Windows Mail (but not Windows Live Mail) and just about any other file on your PC, including music, etc.

Works very well in XP or Vista.

For searching of filenames only, the best software I have encountered for this purpose is SearchGT. It is *VERY* fast, doesn't require indexing, and takes only seconds to locate any file.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/searchgt.html

It only works on XP at the moment, but a Vista upgrade is planned
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Google Desktop Mar 24, 2009

IMO there is no faster way searching the internet and files on your computer than with Google Desktop. Simply double-click CTRL, type in what you are looking for and receive instant search results.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

search facility in Windows Explorer/MS Office

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »