Thread poster: Anna Fitzgerald
Anna Fitzgerald
Anna Fitzgerald  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:12
French to English
Sep 2, 2008

Hello,

In Xbench (2.7), I can open up glossary files loaded in the active project and edit terms, but for tab-delimited text files, it simply opens the document and then I have to search for the term. I was looking at the help pages for something else and noticed it may be possible to open to the right line:

Line positioning is also available for Tab-delimited files and Trados exported memories, but your text editor parameters must be configured in Tools->Settings-> Mis
... See more
Hello,

In Xbench (2.7), I can open up glossary files loaded in the active project and edit terms, but for tab-delimited text files, it simply opens the document and then I have to search for the term. I was looking at the help pages for something else and noticed it may be possible to open to the right line:

Line positioning is also available for Tab-delimited files and Trados exported memories, but your text editor parameters must be configured in Tools->Settings-> Miscellaneous Settings. For example, to configure TextPad 4 for line positioning, you must select there the Text Pad executable and specify the following in Command-Line Parameters: $filename($line,$column). Different text editors will require different values for this field. Please check your text editor's documentation for the suitable values.

I have Notepad++ (3.6), Notepad and Wordpad. Does anyone know what needs to go in the command line field in Miscellaneous Settings for these editors? Notepad++ has some info on command line arguments, but I don't know much about this and wasn't able to make it work.

notepad++ [-nLineNumber] [filesToOpen]
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Thanks in advance for your help,
Anna
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Command line parameters Sep 2, 2008

I don't use Notepad++ so I can't verify this, but according to the information you have given, try entering the following in the "Command-line Parameters" field:

-n$Line $Filename

(and specify the Path to Executable, of course.)

Anna Fitzgerald
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds logical Sep 2, 2008

That's what I thought too, but it didn't seem to work.

Thanks for your help, though. I appreciate it.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
This should work Sep 2, 2008

The filename should be enclosed in double quotes to handle spaces in the path. Try this:

-n$Line "$Filename"

I installed Notepad++ and it works.

Anna Fitzgerald
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Thank you Sep 2, 2008

Yes, that did the trick. Thank you so much!

Kind regards,
Anna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing glossary file terms from within Xbench

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »