Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:27
Člen
španělština
+ ...
Aug 31, 2008

Are there any Last.fm ProZians out there? I just joined a group called Translators and Interpreters. We translators and interpreters are particularly known for having an exquisite taste in music so it would be cool if more of us join.

For those who don't know what Last.fm is:

From Wikipedia:
Using a music recommendation system called "Audioscrobbler", Last.fm builds a detailed profile of each user's musical taste by recording details of all the songs the user listens to, either on the streamed radio stations or on the user's computer or some portable music devices. This information is transferred to Last.fm's database ("scrobbled") via a plugin installed into the user's music player. The profile data is then displayed on the user's profile page. The site offers numerous social networking features and can recommend and play artists similar to the user's favourites.

Users can create custom radio stations and playlists from any of the audio tracks in Last.fm's music library, and are able to listen to some individual tracks on demand, or download tracks if the rights holder has previously authorised it. Registration is required to acquire a profile but is not necessary to view any part of the site or to listen to radio stations.

[Edited at 2008-09-01 07:46]

tenkyuu (X)
tenkyuu (X)
Indonésie
Local time: 03:27
indonéština -> angličtina
+ ...
Here's one Sep 1, 2008

That would be me.

What a nice surprise!

I am one of Last.fm members.

My username is "cywulf".

I like J-Pop and J-Rock.

How about you?

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazílie
Local time: 16:27
portugalština -> angličtina
+ ...
Sounds like Pandora Sep 1, 2008

Do you know Pandora.com? Last.fm sounds quite similar. I have already created three radio stations for myself on Pandora, but I'll definitely check out Last.fm, too, as well as the translators' group link you provided. Thanks!

Amy

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Člen
španělština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
Pandora Sep 1, 2008

Hi Amy,

Yes, it's similar to Pandora. Unfortunately, it seems that the RIAA will cause Pandora to shut down, unless one of the big guys does something.

Ana Kübli
Ana Kübli
Chorvatsko
Local time: 21:27
němčina -> chorvatština
+ ...
Thanks for info Sep 1, 2008

Hi all,

thanks for info on this group- I just joined the group.

Pandora and Last.fm are quite similar, I like them both, however I cannot listen to Pandora anymore, since I am not from the States.

I myself am a "moody" listener, I can listen to almost anything...

Have a great day!

Ana

Christine Biloré
Christine Biloré  Identity Verified
Francie
angličtina -> francouzština
+ ...
Thank you! Sep 1, 2008

I've joined too... I usually listen to a lot of music and like almost eveything from bulgarian voices to rap!

Annamaria Arlotta
Annamaria Arlotta  Identity Verified
angličtina -> italština
Oh yes Sep 2, 2008

I joined lastfm over a year ago, it is wonderful, I discovered many new interesting groups thanks to the reccomendations. I was amazed to discover that I have been listening to 380 different artists. My tags are gothic, symphonic metal, ethereal, darkwave , and my nick is the same as here, unadiluna.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Řecko
Local time: 22:27
angličtina -> řečtina
+ ...
Thank you! Sep 2, 2008

I hadn't even heard of Last.fm before reading this thread. I was surprised to find so many Greek artists there and I am really happy about the recommendations that help me discover new artists and different sounds. I am a world music fan. My nickname is iliostalaxti.

irishpolyglot
irishpolyglot
Irsko
Local time: 20:27
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
one of the first members ;) Sep 3, 2008

I was one of the first members of that group
I really like last fm; I need music as I work. I still have to invest the time to really getting the best out of it though; I feel like I'm only brushing the surface. I also recommend musicovery.com for excellent free streaming music and not restricted to US IP addresses like others I've heard of.

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Člen
španělština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
Discovering new music Sep 3, 2008

^ Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look at it. My favorite thing about last.fm is the music suggestions, not only from the system but from other listeners. And if more translators join Last.fm, we will have a nice group radio with plenty of recommendations from all over the world.

Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 15:27
Člen (2007)
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
can be a time sink! Sep 3, 2008

I've used both last.fm and pandora off and on--they can be a lot of fun, and I do sometimes find new artists or tracks that I hadn't heard of. The downside of that is that I can go through internet radio bouts where I wind up wasting inordinate amounts of time researching unfamiliar artists (and occasionally, inordinate amounts of money buying CDs!). I also sometimes spend a little too much time fine-tuning the stream to try to get the stuff I like and not the stuff I don't like.

Toto fórum nemá žádného přiřazeného moderátora.
Chcete-li nahlásit porušení pravidel serveru nebo získat pomoc, obraťte se na pracovníky serveru ».

Any Last.fm linguists?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »