Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:16
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 17, 2009

My proposal for a little (just a few lines in code I think, as the data are entered and stored anyway) new feature:

Would it be possible (for paying members?) to see some basic statistics for the whole Proz market and/or their language pairs in regards to what CAT/software requirements (mandatory and optional) has been so far included in job ads?

Something like:
Since dd.mm.yyyy, job posters in this pair looked for translators who must/should have:
Trados: 1
... See more
My proposal for a little (just a few lines in code I think, as the data are entered and stored anyway) new feature:

Would it be possible (for paying members?) to see some basic statistics for the whole Proz market and/or their language pairs in regards to what CAT/software requirements (mandatory and optional) has been so far included in job ads?

Something like:
Since dd.mm.yyyy, job posters in this pair looked for translators who must/should have:
Trados: 100 - 50
Wordfast: 20 - 10
Excel 2007: 50 - 30
Excel 2003: 40 - 20
Etc...

I think it could help to see what is the basic software demand, to know if one is not 100 years behind the monkeys, as we Czechs say and to get a picture (maybe imperfect, but better than nothing?) about the CAT trends?
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:16
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
That's a bad thing Jun 17, 2009

No, I strongly disagree. Why do harm to the other CAT manufacturers, such as MemoQ, who have produced excellent software? We all know Trados will be on top of your list, but not because it is the best tool —it is not, I believe.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Software statistics Jun 17, 2009

It would not be accurate anyway because this would be (even more of) an incentive for companies to post fake jobs with CAT-tool requirements in order to make it "appear" as though people were using their software.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:16
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Probably Jun 17, 2009

DV, Wordfast, MemoQ, Omega T, Cafetrans and others have neglected to introduce their Certification Program and to pay Whomever to promote it...

However I believe Trados is doomed in the longer run- sky-high prices for not so competitive soft doesn't seem to me to be the best market strategy.

Uldis

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

No, I strongly disagree. Why do harm to the other CAT manufacturers, such as MemoQ, who have produced excellent software? We all know Trados will be on top of your list, but not because it is the best tool —it is not, I believe.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2009-06-17 22:56 GMT]

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
but Jun 17, 2009

But I'm not asking about "the best". That is partially a subjective value. I'm asking about "most demanded".

If I have the best tool, how good is it for me if no-one asks for a job to be done with it/its specific features?

And who wouldn't like the stats, may not read them.

===

Jeff, I think even if it happened (they would get less replies with invalid limits), it would affect the
... See more
But I'm not asking about "the best". That is partially a subjective value. I'm asking about "most demanded".

If I have the best tool, how good is it for me if no-one asks for a job to be done with it/its specific features?

And who wouldn't like the stats, may not read them.

===

Jeff, I think even if it happened (they would get less replies with invalid limits), it would affect the overall numbers only on a very low level. Plus you could get the pre-feature ("not spoiled") stats at least.
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
CAT/Software stats Jun 18, 2009

very good idea!
I agree
not the best ones but the most demanded, as you correctly stated
this option would be very useful for software purchasing decision making
I think

Claudio

Lectorcito
Lectorcito  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:16
English to Spanish
File formats statistics instead of programs Jun 18, 2009

If a client says that Trados is needed for a project, most of the times that doesn't mean that Trados is the only tool that can do that project satisfactorily. I would find more useful statistics about file formats: how many clients need pdf, doc, ttx, or whatever. This option could still be useful for translators who would like to buy or upgrade their software and are willing to do a little research, but it would offer translators more freedom to choose whatever program one likes best.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Hmmmm... Jun 18, 2009

Lectorcito wrote:

If a client says that Trados is needed for a project, most of the times that doesn't mean that Trados is the only tool that can do that project satisfactorily. I would find more useful statistics about file formats: how many clients need pdf, doc, ttx, or whatever. This option could still be useful for translators who would like to buy or upgrade their software and are willing to do a little research, but it would offer translators more freedom to choose whatever program one likes best.

I would agree on the file format statistics first and foremost. It is widely known (or am I assuming something here?) that some outsourcers name a software for the completion of a job even if the software in question is completely useless.

The best example to date was, if I am not mistaken, given in another thread: the outsourcer asked for a specific CAT tool in order to do... video transcription or subtitling. This is misleading for statistics!

And even the file format statistics would be misleading, as alternative formats can be used at least to some point: Open Office / Star Office formats can e.g. jump in for Microsoft ones. And when clients receive the target text in the format they requested, do they really care how the translation was processed?

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-06-18 06:54 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
+1 Jun 18, 2009

Tomas Mosler wrote:

+1

At present, some CAT tools may seem popular simply because they have loud advocates on the forums. Some hard statistics may be nice to have.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Proz feature proposal - CAT/software statistics for job ads

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »