Suggestion: request justification for closing KudoZ questions without grading
Thread poster: David Moore (X)
David Moore (X)
David Moore (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:05
German to English
+ ...
May 5, 2009

I have noticed over recent months there is a tendency for more and more questions to be closed without grading. While understanding the rationale behind the idea, some site participants take this to absolute extremes. There is a problem here; when posters have a record of closing as many as 10 per cent or more of their questions, I feel there is a case to be made for finding out why, and if these closures appear unjustified - as many of them do - then posters should be invited to back up their d... See more
I have noticed over recent months there is a tendency for more and more questions to be closed without grading. While understanding the rationale behind the idea, some site participants take this to absolute extremes. There is a problem here; when posters have a record of closing as many as 10 per cent or more of their questions, I feel there is a case to be made for finding out why, and if these closures appear unjustified - as many of them do - then posters should be invited to back up their decisions. It appears as if many think that the points they are invited to award cost them money...

You might even consider withdrawing the "not for points" option completely; personally, I feel it is being misused.

David Moore

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-06 13:52 GMT]
Collapse

Ingeborg Gowans (X)
Ingeborg Gowans (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:05
English to German
+ ...
agree with David May 5, 2009

I can only support David's concern, as it seems unfair that the poster (asker) puts out a question and while you are trying to help and search the web, the asker then informs his colleagues that "answer was found elsewhere" or the first answerer is awarded points, the question is almost closed immediately; often it turns out that there are better responses forthcoming later on.
I would like to see this issue addressed as well.
Thanks

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Fully agree with you, David May 6, 2009

David Moore wrote:

I have noticed over recent months there is a tendency for more and more questions to be closed without grading. While understanding the rationale behind the idea, some site participants take this to absolute extremes. There is a problem here; when posters have a record of closing as many as 10 per cent or more of their questions, I feel there is a case to be made for finding out why, and if these closures appear unjustified - as many of them do - then posters should be invited to back up their decisions. It appears as if many think that the points they are invited to award cost them money...

You might even consider withdrawing the "not for points" option completely; personally, I feel it is being misused.

David Moore

There's one particular asker in the DE-EN/EN-DE language pairs who has closed more than 100 (!) questions without grading. Peers have taken the time and trouble to research, trying to help, but keep getting "Question closed without grading" instead of KudoZ points and at least a "Thank you for taking the time". That's what I call abusing peer's willingness to help.

It's about time something happened here, and not just about the "not-for-points" feature but also about the "Close without grading" feature.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Submitted a support ticket May 6, 2009

Hi David & Inge,

I have submitted a support ticket to alert staff to this topic.

Marina Aleyeva
Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:05
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Fully agree with David May 6, 2009

I have just fallen "victim" to such an asker who closed a question not only without grading but also without any explanation whatsoever and even without a simple "thank you". I can see that she has closed ungraded as many as 10 out of 89 of her questions, i.e. more than 10%. When asked to provide a reason, she replied that she had found a translation in her TM. Needless to say that I invested time and effort in finding an explanation to the term, reading an article that explains it, expla... See more
I have just fallen "victim" to such an asker who closed a question not only without grading but also without any explanation whatsoever and even without a simple "thank you". I can see that she has closed ungraded as many as 10 out of 89 of her questions, i.e. more than 10%. When asked to provide a reason, she replied that she had found a translation in her TM. Needless to say that I invested time and effort in finding an explanation to the term, reading an article that explains it, explaining the term to the asker and suggesting a translation which in my view was good enough and which received support from five other people. I wonder if finding something in a TM is a sufficient reason to close a question in such a way?

[Edited at 2009-05-06 10:16 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: request justification for closing KudoZ questions without grading

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »