Off topic: The Boy who Harnessed the Wind Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
| | | texjax DDS PhD Local time: 03:54 Member (2006) English to Italian + ... | | Thanks for the hint Claudia! | Oct 9, 2009 |
Fantastic indeed. I have pre-ordered 6 copies from Amazon for family and friends. They must read this!
Take care,
Tomás | | | | | Inspiring story | Oct 9, 2009 |
So thanks, too, for sharing.
I just read that USA President Obama has won the Peace Nobel Prize for this year, so what a nice coincidence that you posted this story just a few hours before the major news about Obama's winning.
I mean, not that there is any link between the two stories, but I think your story, like Obama's (in, of course, a wider sense), are inspiring examples of how barriers can be overcome by just always pushing yourself beyond what can sometimes be se... See more So thanks, too, for sharing.
I just read that USA President Obama has won the Peace Nobel Prize for this year, so what a nice coincidence that you posted this story just a few hours before the major news about Obama's winning.
I mean, not that there is any link between the two stories, but I think your story, like Obama's (in, of course, a wider sense), are inspiring examples of how barriers can be overcome by just always pushing yourself beyond what can sometimes be self-imposed limits.
Saluditos,
Ivette ▲ Collapse | | |
|
|
|
Niraja Nanjundan (X) Local time: 13:24 German to English | William K. - a real hero | Oct 9, 2009 |
ICL wrote:
USA President Obama has won the Peace Nobel Prize for this year
Yeah, but personally I think William Kamkwamba would have been a better choice
Thanks for sharing, Claudia! | | | |
ICL wrote:
I mean, not that there is any link between the two stories, but I think your story, like Obama's (in, of course, a wider sense), are inspiring examples of how barriers can be overcome by just always pushing yourself beyond what can sometimes be self-imposed limits.
Ahem... I honestly think the Nobel Prize of Peace is (nowadays) rather a Nobel Prize in marketing. If you can market yourself well, you can get the Prize. Examples of that are Mr. Obama (who honestly hasn't had much time to do anything so far about peace or about anything) and Mr. Al Gore (prize in 2007), whose achievement for peace mostly consists in succeeding in selling a TV show.
PS. Edited to add "(nowadays)."
[Edited at 2009-10-09 13:14 GMT] | | | |
I'm still shocked about that. I don't even know that to think. | | | |
Thank you Claudia for sharing this!
Gianni | | |
|
|
|
| Obama (@ Claudia) | Oct 9, 2009 |
Claudia Alvis wrote:
I'm still shocked about that. I don't even know [w]hat to think.
Quick comment about Obama (since you, the topic starter, also mentioned him).
In spite of my previous comment here, I tweeted about this earlier today and I was, probably like most people, surprised by how soon he was awarded this prize, as reflected in the following New Yorker tweet/article:
www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/georgepacker/2009/10/beware-premature-prizes.html
I am sure this will become (yet) another polemic decision by the NP Academy. | | | | | | | Thanks Mohamed | Oct 10, 2009 |
Yes, also a good thing to watch.
As a comment about Chimamanda's very valid point, I just wanted to say that the neverending cycle of discovery-assumption-surprise-change of mind>discovery-assumption... is simply natural to the human being.
Indeed young children are very impressionable and little things can make them go in one direction or the other in their whole lives. But that is also good for parents and the world, as this mechanism gives us a chance to teach our children good and valuable things like respecting others, living with different people, coping with changes, loving nature, being honest and positive, being humble, etc. If we manage to teach them these things at an early age, it will always be there and will work for them and for others. | | | |
Those of you who bought a copy of "The buy who harnessed the wind"... Make sure you read it and share it with others.
I bought the book just to support the cause and it stayed in my office for months. Now I have read it and, honestly, I would make this compulsory reading in high school.
Please make sure you read your copy. I promise you will not be disappointed and will see many things differently. Clearly not a story for the faint of heart, but very enlightening indeed... See more Those of you who bought a copy of "The buy who harnessed the wind"... Make sure you read it and share it with others.
I bought the book just to support the cause and it stayed in my office for months. Now I have read it and, honestly, I would make this compulsory reading in high school.
Please make sure you read your copy. I promise you will not be disappointed and will see many things differently. Clearly not a story for the faint of heart, but very enlightening indeed.
I must thank Claudia for sharing this in the first place. ▲ Collapse | | | | To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator: You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request » The Boy who Harnessed the Wind | Wordfast Pro | Translation Memory Software for Any Platform
Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users!
Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value
Buy now! » |
| | Pastey | Your smart companion app
Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.
Find out more » |
|
| | | | X Sign in to your ProZ.com account... | | | | | |