Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')
Автор темы: Natalia Eklund
Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Испания
Local time: 07:12
английский => испанский
+ ...
Impressive Apr 24, 2009

Hi Colin and all,

I just checked this thread and the new Kudoz search tool and it looks really impressive.

Whereas in the past I used to get tons of results when I entered a word like "wrench", now you only get very specific results.

Well done, Colin (again!, since you just recently also improved the design of the top part of the home page).

Cheers,

Ivette

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
Франция
Член ProZ.com
английский => венгерский
+ ...
Thank you, Colin Apr 24, 2009

Great improvements; the interface is pretty, and the search works much better. Many thanks!

One more idea: when selecting the language pair, you need to choose the source and target languages separately. I use the term search almost exclusively in my working language pairs, so it would save some time if there were a single drop-down list with my language pairs (or a more customizable list of language pairs). Under "More languages", the source and target languages could be selected s
... See more
Great improvements; the interface is pretty, and the search works much better. Many thanks!

One more idea: when selecting the language pair, you need to choose the source and target languages separately. I use the term search almost exclusively in my working language pairs, so it would save some time if there were a single drop-down list with my language pairs (or a more customizable list of language pairs). Under "More languages", the source and target languages could be selected separately.

Attila
Collapse

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Хорватия
английский => хорватский
+ ...
ЛОКАЛИЗАТОР САЙТА
Great improvement Apr 24, 2009

Thank you, Colin, for these new improvements to the KudoZ term search function. It looks just great!! And I like the "total results" addition

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Мексика
Local time: 23:12
Член ProZ.com c 2006
английский => испанский
+ ...
Great Apr 24, 2009

Colin, thank you very much. It looks much better. Changes were implemented in a vry short period of time!

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
Франция
английский => французский
Another request Apr 24, 2009

Since we are talking about search improvment, I'd like to repeat a request I've made twice over the last months, with no concrete answers.

I'd like to be able to search terms according to general fields-in addition to specific fields.

For instance, if I'm looking for a term that appears hundreds of time in the glossary and I know it is medical-related and not marketing/business-related, I'd like to be able to click on "medical" and not have to check all medical fields
... See more
Since we are talking about search improvment, I'd like to repeat a request I've made twice over the last months, with no concrete answers.

I'd like to be able to search terms according to general fields-in addition to specific fields.

For instance, if I'm looking for a term that appears hundreds of time in the glossary and I know it is medical-related and not marketing/business-related, I'd like to be able to click on "medical" and not have to check all medical fields (e.g. medical general, medical dentistry, medical cardio, health care, etc.)

I often feel frustrated when I search for a term and get 10 pages of results and not be able to restrict the search to a broad field.

Stéphanie

[Edited at 2009-04-24 13:22 GMT]
Collapse

Sarah Jane Webb
Sarah Jane Webb  Identity Verified
итальянский => английский
+ ...
Thanks Colin Apr 24, 2009

tremendous improvement!

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Local time: 06:12
испанский => английский
Ditto Apr 24, 2009

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

People often classify questions incorrectly (or have different opinions about the whole category thing), so it would be great to be able to use broader fields in order to narrow some searches down.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Германия
Член ProZ.com c 2002
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Notified staff Apr 24, 2009

Nikki Graham wrote:

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

People often classify questions incorrectly (or have different opinions about the whole category thing), so it would be great to be able to use broader fields in order to narrow some searches down.

Thank you, Stéphanie, I fully support your suggestion (and Nikki's reasoning), and have just notified staff to this thread.

Steffen

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Аргентина
Local time: 02:12
французский => английский
+ ...
Thanks everyone for posting - here are my plans Apr 24, 2009

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I'm very pleased that most everyone likes the changes I've made thus far. Based on your feedback, here are my planned enhancements to the term search:

1. Address charset issue As far as I can tell, there are as many as 600,000 KudoZ questions in the database that are not being searched correctly because of character set issues. As we have only converted about 10% to Unicode in roughly 3 years (using the lit... See more
Hi All,

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I'm very pleased that most everyone likes the changes I've made thus far. Based on your feedback, here are my planned enhancements to the term search:

1. Address charset issue As far as I can tell, there are as many as 600,000 KudoZ questions in the database that are not being searched correctly because of character set issues. As we have only converted about 10% to Unicode in roughly 3 years (using the little green arrow next to the term), it seems a different approach may be needed. I plan to convert all these terms to Unicode using my best guess as to what the character set is. A number of terms will be incorrectly converted, but there will be a mechanism for fixing them put in place.

2. Develop a solution for 1 and 2 character searching in Chinese and Japanese

3. Add a select list for "My languages", like the one from the KudoZ ask form

4. Improve field search A search for "Medical (general)" should return results tagged as "Medical: Cardiology", "Medical: Health Care", etc.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted! I look forward to further improving this integral section of the site.
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Германия
Член ProZ.com c 2002
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Abbreviations/acronyms Apr 24, 2009

Colin wrote:
Develop a solution for 1 and 2 character searching in Chinese and Japanese

Hi Colin,

Thanks for mentioning the one-/two-character search option. On a related note, abbreviations/acronyms have always been a big issue, too, irrespective of the language since they were, and still are, not searchable whenever they consist(ed) of fewer than three characters.
Isn't there at least a possibility to capture two-character/letter acronyms in the search?

Steffen

Terejimenez
Terejimenez  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:12
английский => испанский
+ ...
Памяти
Entries at proz only found using google search Apr 24, 2009

I am having trouble with the search of terms. If I search using the ProZ term search function I do not find any entries. If I search with google , lets say "quotaholders English Spanish proz com" I do find the entries in the ProZ database

Other than the problem I have for searching terms, my proz.com page works fine. I have noticed at the left bottom corner of the page a yellow triangle with a note "page open but with errors". I wonder if this has something to do with the problem
... See more
I am having trouble with the search of terms. If I search using the ProZ term search function I do not find any entries. If I search with google , lets say "quotaholders English Spanish proz com" I do find the entries in the ProZ database

Other than the problem I have for searching terms, my proz.com page works fine. I have noticed at the left bottom corner of the page a yellow triangle with a note "page open but with errors". I wonder if this has something to do with the problem to search terms.

Have you found the solution to this problem ?

Thank you very much for your inputs,

Tere

Lori Cirefice wrote:

The problem is not just the order of results.

Entries that *should* be found are not found. Try searching for "grand témoin" (match exact phrase) using the KudoZ search function, 0 results. Search for "témoin" and you will find only 1 of 2 glossary entries for "grand témoin".

Now search with google "grand témoin"site:proz.com and you will immediately find both glossary entries.

This is just one example ...I posted a support ticket in February to draw staff's attention to these problems.

[Edited at 2009-04-24 20:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-24 20:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-24 20:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-24 20:29 GMT]
Collapse

Terejimenez
Terejimenez  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:12
английский => испанский
+ ...
Памяти
I agree with using a concentrated area for the results Apr 24, 2009

I also think is is annoying to scroll down the page to able to see the results My Proz term interface to search the terms takes much more than half of my screen and has a very small room at the bottom to show the responses.

Thank you,

Terejimenez

Kent Hyde wrote:

I find it annoying to always have to scroll down to see whether there were any hits for my search term. I would rather see the search area more tightly concentrated at the top so that at least the beginning of the results occurs without having to scroll.

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Испания
английский => польский
+ ...
Much better layout, but having to scroll down is annoying Apr 25, 2009

I think that overall the new Search layout is much better (thanks, Colin!), but the need to scroll down to see any results is really annoying.
While in my opinion the options field should stay as it is now (perhaps with slightly less light in the 'Resources to search' field as I've always searched with all the options ticked, no need for me to tick/untick anything there and I wonder if anybody does), I think the summary of the number of hits obtained in each category need not take
... See more
I think that overall the new Search layout is much better (thanks, Colin!), but the need to scroll down to see any results is really annoying.
While in my opinion the options field should stay as it is now (perhaps with slightly less light in the 'Resources to search' field as I've always searched with all the options ticked, no need for me to tick/untick anything there and I wonder if anybody does), I think the summary of the number of hits obtained in each category need not take two lines (with much light in between) thus stealing the screen space where I badly need to see at least 2-3 top results of my search. I'm much less interested in the number of hits returned than in seeing what they are.
Regarding the 'Resources to search' field - why not run a poll to see if people untick anything there? Perhaps the field is mostly unused and only the hits specification should show which resources the hits come from? This would give more space to display the search results properly.
Collapse

tania nogueira
tania nogueira  Identity Verified
Израиль
Local time: 08:12
португальский => английский
+ ...
same here.... Apr 26, 2009

as [quote]Enza Longo wrote:
about her "...little test on "compte de résultats", with the accent and "match exact phrase" checked, and it gives me "0" results,..."

it happens a lot with Portuguese as well. Many times I have to look for the term with and without the accent and there are results for both.

Now, what really happened to me when installing the kudoz bar with IE, it gave me a very bad malware, spyware, virus advice and then it opened those 1000000 windows non-stop I had to turn off the computer.

Tania

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Германия
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Same here! Apr 26, 2009

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

For instance, if I'm looking for a term that appears hundreds of time in the glossary and I know it is medical-related and not marketing/business-related, I'd like to be able to click on "medical" and not have to check all medical fields (e.g. medical general, medical dentistry, medical cardio, health care, etc.)

I often feel frustrated when I search for a term and get 10 pages of results and not be able to restrict the search to a broad field.

Stéphanie

[Edited at 2009-04-24 13:22 GMT]

It's extremely frustrating if you get pages and pages of results and spend precious time browsing through them (in particular in cases where neither the asker nor the answerer have bothered to make a KOG entry) just to find out that none of them is what you really need.

I like the new interface - even though I don't know why I need to click on the "Advanced options" button each and every time (!) to be shown the "Detailed fields" dropdown menu. As there is still no option that allows us to restrict the search to one of the "General fields", the searchability hasn't improved one bit.

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »