The way, that a lot of TSPs use CATs.
Thread poster: mikhailo
mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 17:11
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 8, 2021

Here the fragment from popular soviet toon, that illustrates the way, that a lot of TSPs use CAT and deal with big projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2x8rlf5HRU

It's understandable even without translation. But may be sombody give a link of EN version.

The boy writes a letter to his parents — It's a partly translated project, which TSP has.
... See more
Here the fragment from popular soviet toon, that illustrates the way, that a lot of TSPs use CAT and deal with big projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2x8rlf5HRU

It's understandable even without translation. But may be sombody give a link of EN version.

The boy writes a letter to his parents — It's a partly translated project, which TSP has.
the cat and the dog add own thoughts to the letter — other translators finishes the translation

Psrents read letter — Customer gets translation.

I've seen the final edited version of raggle-taggle translations (and corrected TM) very few times.

It's also a good illustration of a very small benefit of TM, if translators have different viewpoints and style....
So the CAT is only the way to pay less to translators.
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:11
English to German
The funniest book my parents ever read to me Jun 9, 2021

Ah, those were the days, when my parents read Eduard Uspensky’s Uncle Fedya, His Dog, and His Cat to me at night and we all rolled off the bed laughing. Like so many Soviet-era books, it had its share of propaganda on re-reading it later, but I would still consider it great children’s literature.

The translation we read Uncle Fedya in back then was stellar, and so can be our translations t
... See more
Ah, those were the days, when my parents read Eduard Uspensky’s Uncle Fedya, His Dog, and His Cat to me at night and we all rolled off the bed laughing. Like so many Soviet-era books, it had its share of propaganda on re-reading it later, but I would still consider it great children’s literature.

The translation we read Uncle Fedya in back then was stellar, and so can be our translations today. We can always say no to business practices that are directed at agencies’ bottom line rather than final quality. CAT, MT and other techologies all have their uses in improving productivity and quality, but it’s up to us translators to keep our integrity and be selective about the work – and the working conditions – we participate in.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
It sounds like a pretty bad translation Jun 10, 2021

Since it took me a good minute to realize what book you meant.

Why the heck would a translator use an unfamiliar Russian pet name (Fedya ~=Lil Teddy) for a tiny kid, when the original character made a point of using the full and mature-sounding Fyodor (think Theodore) and adding a ridiculous-sounding Uncle to it for extra-stuffy effect?

These things matter in a book where the whole plot is about a kid essentially emancipating himself and playing at being comically matur
... See more
Since it took me a good minute to realize what book you meant.

Why the heck would a translator use an unfamiliar Russian pet name (Fedya ~=Lil Teddy) for a tiny kid, when the original character made a point of using the full and mature-sounding Fyodor (think Theodore) and adding a ridiculous-sounding Uncle to it for extra-stuffy effect?

These things matter in a book where the whole plot is about a kid essentially emancipating himself and playing at being comically mature and independent.

Epic Fail. Please make better choices.

[Edited at 2021-06-10 14:23 GMT]
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:11
English to German
You are right about the English title … Jun 10, 2021

… (not sure about the English translation of the actual book which I’m not familiar with). We read a Hungarian translation by B. Lányi Márta. Whether or not the title of the translation makes it easy to identify the original work is probably not among the foremost criteria though.

Adieu
P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The way, that a lot of TSPs use CATs.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »