Thread poster: Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Jun 17, 2009

I have a HP Mini Laptop, and I wanted to find a way to change the Alt+Home and Alt+End options...
Here is the keyboard it features: http://blog.10ninox.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/image3.png

Any suggestion on HOW to change these shortcuts and WHAT would be the best solution for this type of keyboard?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:04
English to German
Autohotkey Jun 17, 2009

Hello Alban,

Autohotkey is extremely flexible and quite easy to use when it comes to redefining keys and key combinations.

Endre

fads fasdf asd
fads fasdf asd
Local time: 03:04
For what purpose? Jun 17, 2009

...and for which software?

Cesar

Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Jun 17, 2009

Sorry, forgot to mention that....

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In Wordfast... perhaps also in Trados? Jun 17, 2009

Αlban SHPΑTΑ wrote:
I have a HP Mini Laptop, and I wanted to find a way to change the Alt+Home and Alt+End options...

I agree with Endre that AutoHotKey may be your solution. However, in Wordfast I'm able to customise the shortcuts -- can't you do that in Trados too?

Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:04
Latin to English
+ ...
Way to change shortcuts Jun 17, 2009

While I don't know what shortcuts you wish to change, I decided to strip my keyboard of the "landmines" contained in WORD keyboard that would do things like (unwantedly) close me out of my text, go to two-column format, etc. My laborious but successful technique was to try out each key for its function, then drop down "symbol", select a character that corresponded to the natural character (i.e. if I wanted to get rid of "q" causing an unwanted function, to select "q" as the shortcut) then go th... See more
While I don't know what shortcuts you wish to change, I decided to strip my keyboard of the "landmines" contained in WORD keyboard that would do things like (unwantedly) close me out of my text, go to two-column format, etc. My laborious but successful technique was to try out each key for its function, then drop down "symbol", select a character that corresponded to the natural character (i.e. if I wanted to get rid of "q" causing an unwanted function, to select "q" as the shortcut) then go through the steps for selecting that shortcut, so that now if I accidentally his CTRL + q I just get "q". Time consuming, since I had to do this for both CTRL, ALT, snd CTRL+ALT in both upper and lower case, but it worked.

[Edited at 2009-06-17 21:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-17 21:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-17 21:32 GMT]
Collapse

mhj (X)
mhj (X)
Azerbaijan
Local time: 09:04
English to Turkish
+ ...
How to change trados shortcuts on Word 2003 Jun 17, 2009

On the right end of the trados signs on word, there is a button, when you click on it you will see Add or Remove Buttons. Go over it, you will see Customize. Click on it.
A dialogue button pops up. Click on Keyboard. On new pop-up dialog box, select select Macros from Categories: list. When you click on Macros the macros will be displayed in the right. Go over to one of the macros beginning with tw4win...
For example, tw4winCopySource.main. When you click on it, you will see its sho
... See more
On the right end of the trados signs on word, there is a button, when you click on it you will see Add or Remove Buttons. Go over it, you will see Customize. Click on it.
A dialogue button pops up. Click on Keyboard. On new pop-up dialog box, select select Macros from Categories: list. When you click on Macros the macros will be displayed in the right. Go over to one of the macros beginning with tw4win...
For example, tw4winCopySource.main. When you click on it, you will see its shortcut below. You can now set a new shortcut. Set your shortcut and Assign it.
Repeat this for all shortcuts you want to change.
Hope this would help.
P.S. I am not a Office 2007-lover, so cannot help if you use Office 2007, but sure you can find a way to customize it similarly.
P.S.2. I would use ALT+S/H (start/home) and ALT+E (end) for home and end. It is easy to remember

[Edited at 2009-06-17 23:30 GMT]
Collapse

fads fasdf asd
fads fasdf asd
Local time: 03:04
AutoHotKey will work fine Jun 18, 2009

Alban,
I installed that tool mentioned by Endre Both and I could see that its is a very customizable/flexible solution. It may solve your problem and many more (specially if someone is familiar to programming concepts).

Thanks Endre for that, I was already looking for such software.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Home / End laptop keys

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »