Thread poster: Hai-Ha Doan
Hai-Ha Doan
Hai-Ha Doan
Vietnam
Local time: 14:59
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Jan 23

Hi, I was contacted by an agency with a subtitling test of 26 video minutes (4906 words in total). The video belongs to the cinema genre. I wonder if this test is too long. Is it appropriate for agencies to ask for such video duration for testing? Thanks!

jmf
jmf  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:59
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
That's way too long Jan 24

I would think 2 or 3 minutes of audio would be more than enough for a test, and could take an hour or longer to finalize depending on the audio and whether you can use tools

Tine Reichert
yinnyann

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
Local time: 09:59
German to English
+ ...
Sounds strange... Jan 24

5k for a test is way too much... Ask them for 2 to 3 minutes, as suggested before. If they are not willing to work with you on your terms, forget it. Business is a give and take. It should not be one-sided...

Good luck!

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Jan 25

It's typically around 100 subtitle events, which is roughly equal to six runtime minutes. Twenty-six runtime minutes is unusually long.

[Edited at 2024-01-25 03:37 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Duration of a video should a subtitling test asks for

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »