Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How much can an agency ask for personal information?
Thread poster: Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:42
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jan 20

Some time ago, I applied to an ad post on Proz who was looking for a person who could work as a project liaison, i.e. someone like a project coordinator. I got a reply from them some time later, exchanged a few emails, then had a video meeting, and during the meeting we talked for over an hour and a half going over the details described in the job description, my reason(s) for applying, questions I may have, etc., just like applying for a regular job.

Anyway, later, they sent me a l
... See more
Some time ago, I applied to an ad post on Proz who was looking for a person who could work as a project liaison, i.e. someone like a project coordinator. I got a reply from them some time later, exchanged a few emails, then had a video meeting, and during the meeting we talked for over an hour and a half going over the details described in the job description, my reason(s) for applying, questions I may have, etc., just like applying for a regular job.

Anyway, later, they sent me a link to a website of a different company, asking me to fill out the necessary details.

Here's the question. How much can an agency ask for personal information, or rather, up to what kind of information would you give them when applying for a freelance position?
I know that this question has been asked several times on this forum in the past by people just starting out.

The reason I'm asking is that some of the items on the forms I had to fill in were quite unnecessary/unrelated to the job I was applying for (at least in my opinion).

What they were asking me were, my Full name, current address, address history for the past seven years, motor vehicle report (driver’s license number), type of driver’s license (MVR type = standard, extended, unlimited, etc.), purpose of order (Non CDL employment, CDL employment only), schools attended (first name and last name while attending school), employment verification (reason for leaving) supervisor and supervisor’s phone number (not mandatory).

I have applied for both part-time and full-time jobs in the past before I became a translator, and being asked for my name, my current address, which schools I went to, what jobs I had in the past are understandable. But driver's license number and the purpose of order (I don't know what this exactly is)? My employment history (I can understand this), but my reason for leaving and the supervisor's name and phone number? They were also asking me where I have lived in the past seven years.

Like I wrote above, this is freelance work, done remote, working from home.
Their offer was 20 USD per hour, but here's the catch: "ON-DEMAND". So it's no different from applying to a translation agency as a freelance translator!

I told the company which I applied to that, there are some information I would feel uneasy to give out, and they told me that the original employer (it became apparent that the company I applied to is just a middle-man) requires all the info on the link they sent to me to fill out.

My honest opinion was if they're asking for so much detailed information about me, why not ask me for my sexual orientations (and even preferences, why not?), which political party I support, which religion I believe in, and moreover, whether I have ever been convicted of felony or misdemeanor in the past XX years. I'm not applying for a high-ranking governmental job at the Pentagon, but a freelance position as a project coordinator. The only thing they didn't ask was my color of skin.

Is what the agency asking for is decent, or am I too paranoid?
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 13:42
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sounds weird Jan 20

Several red flags:

- They only informed you they were a middle man after the interview?
- Video interview should not take more than 30 mins (more than enough, providing the interviewer came organized and prepared)
- The numerous unnecessary details asked in the form sound like surveying and like they have partnered with a market research agency (and getting paid for it), and of course, who are you to be informed about that?
- Lengthy video interview is also highly
... See more
Several red flags:

- Video interview should not take more than 30 mins (more than enough, providing the interviewer came organized and prepared)
- The numerous unnecessary details asked in the form sound like surveying and like they have partnered with a market research agency (and getting paid for it), and of course, who are you to be informed about that?
- Lengthy video interview is also highly suspicious. These may be recorded and used for various “social experiments”, eg. for psychology students as an exercise (again, who are you to be informed about that?)

All this extensive screening for an “on demand” job? Something’s off here.

[Edited at 2024-01-20 12:54 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Jan 20

Lingua 5B wrote:

Several red flags:

Yes, they told me their client wanted the information I mentioned in the post earlier, and they have no control over about what to ask and not to ask because it's not their website but their client's website.

I see. It was my first time to chat on a video meeting, so I didn't feel anything suspicious about having a 90 minutes meeting.

I don't know about that, but I felt quite uneasy filling in the forms, especially the sections which I mentioned earlier in my post.

- Lengthy video interview is also highly suspicious. These may be recorded and used for various “social experiments”, eg. for psychology students as an exercise (again, who are you to be informed about that?)

All this extensive screening for an “on demand” job? Something’s off here.

[Edited at 2024-01-20 12:54 GMT]

The deal on the ad was 5pm~11pm, JST, so at first, I figured I could automatically earn 120 USD for the six hours I put in my work (I know it's not much, but I could do my own translations during that time and at the same time earn extra 20 USD by just exchanging emails and maybe translating English-Japanese and vice versa about questions that the clients may have), but during the interview, I found out that this was an "on-demand" job where I will get paid only for the hour(s) I actually worked.

The company told me that these information were necessary, since I have to deal with highly confidential matters. But still, I'm not happy with giving out information irrelevant to the contents of the job.

I have already told them that I'm not comfortable with their demands and notified them that I am withdrawing from signing up for this position.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Lingua 5B Jan 20

I know that you said something's off with this situation, but what would you do if you were in my shoe, and to what extent would you give them info about yourself?

I must say that they (the end client) were quite persistent asking me to fill out the form as soon as possible, since I got four or five email reminders whenever I accessed the link which they provided me with.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
@Yasutomo Jan 20

@Yasutomo

Just reading about their behavior made me feel suspicious and anxious. I would withdraw if I were in your shoes. You don’t need to go through these suspicious activities (plus under pressure) for an ocassional, potential, maybe to happen “job”? It’ll most likely never happen when they say “on demand”, at best you may replace someobody on sick leave for a day or two.

[Edited at 2024-01-20 15:23 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Zea_Mays
Kay Denney
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Miranda Drew

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I guess so Jan 20

Lingua 5B wrote:

@Yasutomo

Just reading about their behavior made me feel suspicious and anxious. I would withdraw if I were in your shoes. You don’t need to go through these suspicious activities (plus under pressure) for an ocassional, potential, maybe to happen “job”? It’ll most likely never happen when they say “on demand”, at best you may replace someobody on sick leave for a day or two.

[Edited at 2024-01-20 15:23 GMT]

You're right. There's a jinx in this industry that the more forms to fill out, the less work, or rather, no work at all is what you get.

Come to think of it, 20 USD per hour is definitely on the low side, considering translating queries from clients back and forth. I hear that McDonald's in LA and NY pay more.

[Edited at 2024-01-20 15:40 GMT]

Dan Lucas

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Don't walk, run! Jan 20

Don't even think of giving all that out. It's a typical identity theft scenario, but even if they are a bona fide translation agency (which I doubt), they have no business asking you for this amount of personal data. Don't know about Japan, but here in the EU, it would be an outright violation of the General Data Protection Regulation. In addition to all that, I can offer an empirical observation: the more personal information an agency asks you to provide, the less it is likely to give you any ... See more
Don't even think of giving all that out. It's a typical identity theft scenario, but even if they are a bona fide translation agency (which I doubt), they have no business asking you for this amount of personal data. Don't know about Japan, but here in the EU, it would be an outright violation of the General Data Protection Regulation. In addition to all that, I can offer an empirical observation: the more personal information an agency asks you to provide, the less it is likely to give you any significant work. Finally, the rate of 20 USD per hour for translation work is a crying shame for any first-world country. Bottom line: don't even bother talking to them anymore, but rather report this (snow)job to the ProZ management right away.

[Edited at 2024-01-20 17:11 GMT]
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Christopher Schröder
Lingua 5B
Dan Lucas
Magnus Rubensson
Charlie Bavington
Michele Fauble

Magnus Rubensson
Magnus Rubensson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:42
English to Swedish
+ ...
Don't walk, run! (2) Jan 20

Anton Konashenok wrote:

I can offer an empirical observation: the more personal information an agency asks you to provide, the less it is likely to give you any significant work. Finally, the rate of 20 USD per hour for translation work is a crying shame for any first-world country.

-----------------------------------------------
I have the exact same empirical observation as mr Konashenok (based on 30 years as a tech translation contractor).
Agencies that demand this amount of info very seldom (as in "practically never") generate the promised work volumes.

In this case, I find their demands highly unreasonable, as well as the suggested hourly rate.
If they are also pressuring you for the info, that is yet another red flag I'm afraid...

Philip Lees
Zea_Mays
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jan 21

What happens if you don't have a driving licence or vehicle?

This reminds me of a time when I was looking for a place to live and a potential landlady asked why I needed a place to live, as if it were highly suspicious. I started explaining that I was splitting up from my boyfriend. She asked why I couldn't just go to a hotel. I was about to explain that I was staying at a friend's place but it wasn't possible as a permanent solution, but then I just said, you know what, it's none
... See more

This reminds me of a time when I was looking for a place to live and a potential landlady asked why I needed a place to live, as if it were highly suspicious. I started explaining that I was splitting up from my boyfriend. She asked why I couldn't just go to a hotel. I was about to explain that I was staying at a friend's place but it wasn't possible as a permanent solution, but then I just said, you know what, it's none of your business, I don't want a snoopy landlady like you goodbye.
So me three for the "run" crowd.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Christel Zipfel
Zea_Mays
Baran Keki
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank for your comment, Anton Jan 22

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Don't even think of giving all that out. It's a typical identity theft scenario, but even if they are a bona fide translation agency (which I doubt), they have no business asking you for this amount of personal data. Don't know about Japan, but here in the EU, it would be an outright violation of the General Data Protection Regulation. In addition to all that, I can offer an empirical observation: the more personal information an agency asks you to provide, the less it is likely to give you any significant work. Finally, the rate of 20 USD per hour for translation work is a crying shame for any first-world country. Bottom line: don't even bother talking to them anymore, but rather report this (snow)job to the ProZ management right away.

As I wrote earlier, I felt uneasy about giving out information such as my driver's license number and all the addresses including my current address for the past seven years which are totally irrelevant to the position they're offering. Even though I live in Japan and am not sure about whether there are rules such as the General Data Protection Regulation like in the EU, I have never heard of any job applications requiring giving out such information, unless I'm trying to become a cabby or a bus driver and land a job at a cab company or maybe a bus company.

Like you say, I fully agree that 20 USD is very low. FYI, the company who offered this job is based in the US. And from my over 30 years of experience, the more paper work they ask, the less chance of getting a job from that company.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I had the same thing on my mind Jan 22

Kay Denney wrote:

This reminds me of a time when I was looking for a place to live and a potential landlady asked why I needed a place to live, as if it were highly suspicious. I started explaining that I was splitting up from my boyfriend. She asked why I couldn't just go to a hotel. I was about to explain that I was staying at a friend's place but it wasn't possible as a permanent solution, but then I just said, you know what, it's none of your business, I don't want a snoopy landlady like you goodbye.

That was exactly what came to my mind when I saw the form on their website. I didn't have a chance to ask them what I should do because I have a driver's license, so I didn't bother to ask. On top of that, the field for driver's license was marked in red, which meant a mandatory field and cannot leave it blank.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jan 22

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Kay Denney wrote:

That was exactly what came to my mind when I saw the form on their website. I didn't have a chance to ask them what I should do because I have a driver's license, so I didn't bother to ask. On top of that, the field for driver's license was marked in red, which meant a mandatory field and cannot leave it blank.

Wow! I mean, I got a driving licence over half my life ago, but I lost it maybe 15 years ago. So I wouldn't be able to work for that agency. I presume they don't only work with documents that require knowledge of driving...

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
- Jan 27

I think it depends on the kind of jobs.
Driver's licence: if you have to work from home
Places where you lived: if they want a translator they might want to know if he lived in an area with source or target language.
Video interview: at least better than to travel to a place to be interviewed.
Supervisor and supervisor’s phone number: that's like asking for references.
Whether the questions are relevant or not, depends on the job, but I don't think the questions a
... See more
Places where you lived: if they want a translator they might want to know if he lived in an area with source or target language.
Whether the questions are relevant or not, depends on the job, but I don't think the questions are exaggerated.
Wait till they ask you whether your married and have children. But even that might be relevant if they want you to sell e.g. children's clothes.

[Edited at 2024-01-27 15:07 GMT]
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Peter Jan 28

Peter Motte wrote:

Whether the questions are relevant or not, depends on the job, but I don't think the questions are exaggerated.
Wait till they ask you whether your married and have children. But even that might be relevant if they want you to sell e.g. children's clothes.

[Edited at 2024-01-27 15:07 GMT]

You're right when you say that it depends on the job, but I think you're missing the point.

Like I wrote earlier, if I were applying for a taxi company or a bus company as a driver, then they will need my driver's license number and the kind of license I have to make sure that I'm not driving a city bus with only a moped's license. I'd be driving with a "license to kill", the number being 007. (lol)

But the job I was applying for was a project liaison, a project coordinator working from home. If they were asking me if I have a driver's license or not as a routine question, I wouldn't mind telling them that I have one, but license number? This job doesn't require driving anything. It's like asking someone if you have a passport and if I asked you the same question, I bet you will say either yes or no, but if I asked you your passport number, would you give it to me?

[Edited at 2024-01-28 11:46 GMT]

Christel Zipfel

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
License number Jan 28

License number may help them find out if you ever caused or been in some traffic violation, etc. But then they should provide the reasoning, and this kind of checks are done once you are about to sign the contract, not during application process.

I am pretty sure it’s some data collection for their own monetary gain. Automotive industry does a great deal of market research.

Yasutomo Kanazawa

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much can an agency ask for personal information?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »