Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
What’s wrong with saying ‘Hope you are well’ in work emails?
Thread poster: Nikita Kobrin
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 08:31
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Hi Dec 6, 2023

Hi,

I hope this post finds you well.

I have a client who manually types “Kind regards”, “Thank you”, and “Dear (my name)” in each message. For instance, if we have 20 messages in an email thread, they will type this in each. I usually stop repeating the client’s name in longer threads, as I see it redundant. We both work alone, not in teams, no CCs, which makes everything even more unusual (no need to highlight the names that much). But I like it, it means
... See more
Hi,

I hope this post finds you well.

I have a client who manually types “Kind regards”, “Thank you”, and “Dear (my name)” in each message. For instance, if we have 20 messages in an email thread, they will type this in each. I usually stop repeating the client’s name in longer threads, as I see it redundant. We both work alone, not in teams, no CCs, which makes everything even more unusual (no need to highlight the names that much). But I like it, it means they are focussed and present in our communication. I also like it that it’s manual, because some clients have “Kind regards + their name” in their signature.

Have a wonderful day, everyone.

[Edited at 2023-12-06 08:40 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays
expressisverbis
kd42
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Dorothee Rault (Witt)

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
There are work emails and then there are work emails Dec 9, 2023

Surely this is someone talking about a typical office environment, where platitudes are many and sincerity thin on the ground? Meanwhile as translators we tend (well, I do, YMMV) to work with clients over many years and gradually build up a relationship that's not exactly merely client and supplier, yet not friendship either. So that's one reason why you might genuinely ask if someone's well.

Also, and perhaps the author of the article has forgotten it, there was a global pandemic i
... See more
Surely this is someone talking about a typical office environment, where platitudes are many and sincerity thin on the ground? Meanwhile as translators we tend (well, I do, YMMV) to work with clients over many years and gradually build up a relationship that's not exactly merely client and supplier, yet not friendship either. So that's one reason why you might genuinely ask if someone's well.

Also, and perhaps the author of the article has forgotten it, there was a global pandemic in the not too distant past. Since then I've found myself hoping people are well who I'd never have bothered to ask before 2020, not only in reference to COVID but also just generally hoping people aren't still having the same shit time they were two or three years ago.
Collapse

Walter Landesman
expressisverbis
Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Niina Lahokoski

Michael Bailey
Michael Bailey  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
I hope this mail finds you well Dec 11, 2023

The Principal of the University of St Andrews, Dame Sally Mapstone, unwittingly thwarted a potential cyber attack by banning staff from using platitudes like "I hope this mail finds you well" a few years back. In February of this year, a Professor of International Relations received a mail from a colleague with an attachment containing a viral payload. He might have opened it - had it not been for the fact that the mail sent to try to compromise his e-mail account started with "I hope this mail ... See more
The Principal of the University of St Andrews, Dame Sally Mapstone, unwittingly thwarted a potential cyber attack by banning staff from using platitudes like "I hope this mail finds you well" a few years back. In February of this year, a Professor of International Relations received a mail from a colleague with an attachment containing a viral payload. He might have opened it - had it not been for the fact that the mail sent to try to compromise his e-mail account started with "I hope this mail finds your well".Collapse

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:31
English to Turkish
Dear oh dear! Dec 11, 2023

Once a thriving Fortune 500 company, The **** Incorporated has fallen on hard times after its ambitious CEO, inspired by D. Trump's book "Think Big And Kick Ass", decided to do do away with platitudes and pleasantries, and forbade the company personnel to open any emails starting with the words "Dear", "Sir/Madam", "I hope this email finds you well", and ending with "Have a nice day".
The move proved to be a success in terms of warding off social engineering attacks and might probably have
... See more
Once a thriving Fortune 500 company, The **** Incorporated has fallen on hard times after its ambitious CEO, inspired by D. Trump's book "Think Big And Kick Ass", decided to do do away with platitudes and pleasantries, and forbade the company personnel to open any emails starting with the words "Dear", "Sir/Madam", "I hope this email finds you well", and ending with "Have a nice day".
The move proved to be a success in terms of warding off social engineering attacks and might probably have saved the company millions of dollars, but it ultimately proved to be bad for business as it forced the company personnel to do business with shady clientele who preferred to start their email communications using salutations like "What up dawg?", "Alright mate?", "Look it son"
Needless to say The **** Incorporated's shares saw a sharp decline at the stock exchange following the move, and the CEO had to be fired, taking Trump's book with him. Poor guy.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
I hope this mail finds your well Dec 11, 2023

It's a good thing the email didn't find their well (of data or info?). I guess that is what happens when one believes in wishing wells. Or hoping wells.

Ha ha

expressisverbis
Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
I'm not easily irritated Dec 12, 2023

But every time I see "I hope you are well" from a stranger I curse first and then want to ask "Did someone tell you I was sick?"

I absolutely hate any out-of-the-blue "overcaring and overbearing" greetings crossing the lines of civil politeness to be expected between the strangers, because I know that there is nothing, zilch behind it. The "wisher" wouldn't skip a barbecue party if someone from my circle would reply that I'd just dropped dead.

Christel Zipfel

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 09:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Is this new-gen speak? Dec 12, 2023

Has it existed before? I had a few emails from proz that started with similar expressions while not caring to check out what my name is. I'm led to think that this is a communication pattern common to people who fully buy into the post-truth philosophy with its specific (and fake) ways of building emotional rapport, but what if I'm wrong?

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 07:31
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
This morning, I received this: Dec 13, 2023

I hope you are rocking today!

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
As the old Soviet-era saying goes Dec 13, 2023

these are all links of the same chain, comrades:-)

Not just a simple lack of, but intentional resistance to justifiably restricted business manners and behavior, with the latter currently considered an intrusion on personal rights and privacy, does its dirty job:-) People dress for work or a plane flight like they'd just jumped out of the pool or cleaned their garage and had no time to take a shower and change. Business correspondence style reminds of high-school texting etc etc. Am
... See more
these are all links of the same chain, comrades:-)

Not just a simple lack of, but intentional resistance to justifiably restricted business manners and behavior, with the latter currently considered an intrusion on personal rights and privacy, does its dirty job:-) People dress for work or a plane flight like they'd just jumped out of the pool or cleaned their garage and had no time to take a shower and change. Business correspondence style reminds of high-school texting etc etc. Am I an old-fashioned bore? Fine, so be it but I just happen to notice a direct connection between flip-flops at work and the IQ, and I reserve my right to judge freely, silently, of course. My best excuse is that I do not protest in attempt to convert or exterminate, like the true passionate freedom-fighters would do:-). I just step away and keep running my life without. Discipline in manners and awareness of business environment add to the overall manner and mind discipline and sense of responsibility, creates trust toward the company, teaches to communicate without offending or irritating others. Sloppiness and frivolity do exactly the opposite. I guess the utter lack of personal communication, as humanity turns to working and making friends online, is a part of what we call progress these days:-). It seems to be coming together with loss of social skills.

Shoot me now...
Collapse

Walter Landesman

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Love it! Dec 13, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

I hope you are rocking today!

Wow! Brings back memories.

expressisverbis

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I tend to use sth. like "I hope all's well" Dec 14, 2023

when contacting someone I've not been in touch with for a while and want to propose a project to.

I'd find a less offensive approach if it was someone I didn't already know.

expressisverbis
Björn Vrooman

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What’s wrong with saying ‘Hope you are well’ in work emails?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »