Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to warn others of a company with iffy contract terms?
Thread poster: Melina Kajander
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
+1 Aug 14, 2023

philgoddard wrote:

They've just lazily cut and pasted a contract from the internet without reading it. They're never going to enforce it, and they're not trying to scam or exploit you.

I wouldn't waste time pointing out the contract's shortcomings to the customer or 'warning' other translators. Just humour them, and sign it.

Seconded. Be pragmatic.

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
^ Aug 15, 2023

If the above was meant for me - well, TBH I don't see anything "pragmatic" in sacrificing one's fundamental rights as a freelancer and signing something that can pose a problem later on! Plus it's already too late anyway, as I told that company in clear terms what I think already a while ago, and that I simply cannot sign such a contract. (And my question here wasn't actually whether or not to work for this company - that was already decided - but how to warn others of such a company...)

Thomas T. Frost
Christine Andersen

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to warn others of a company with iffy contract terms?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »