Have you ever been asked to stamp/emboss hard copies?
Thread poster: jyuan_us
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:33
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 29, 2023

Have you ever been asked by your agencies to stamp/emboss each page of a hard copy? How would you get a stamp/emboss for that purpose?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
No, and yes. Jun 29, 2023

In over 30 years of being free-lance, no client has ever asked me to stamp a paper document.

However, because I translate a lot of legal and other personal documents, I have my ATA stamp in both ink and raised forms.

Both systems are relatively inexpensive, even though they are a mere update on a medieval wax seal.

[Edited at 2023-06-29 18:53 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jun 29, 2023

As a sworn translator working in Belgium until 2015, I had to stamp my translations (though not every page). I have been freelancing in Portugal since 2015, where there are no sworn translators. To certify a translation, so that a translated document is legally valid, it is necessary to make its certification at the organisations empowered to do so (namely Notary’s Offices, Attorneys, Chambers of Commerce). I have recently been asked for the first time in over 40 years by a British agency and ... See more
As a sworn translator working in Belgium until 2015, I had to stamp my translations (though not every page). I have been freelancing in Portugal since 2015, where there are no sworn translators. To certify a translation, so that a translated document is legally valid, it is necessary to make its certification at the organisations empowered to do so (namely Notary’s Offices, Attorneys, Chambers of Commerce). I have recently been asked for the first time in over 40 years by a British agency and by a Portuguese direct client to attach to the translation a Certificate of Accuracy. I wonder if this is a new thing?Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Get an embosser at an office supply store Jun 29, 2023

Over the years I've been asked to certify my translations. I had a stamp made up with boilerplate text indicating that I am a professional translator, that I am competent to translate from German and that the translation is true and accurate. I also had an embosser made with my name and "Professional Translator". Nonsense, I know, but no one ever questioned it.
In some cases I also needed to have the translation notarized. I charged extra for this, although my bank provides notarial servic
... See more
Over the years I've been asked to certify my translations. I had a stamp made up with boilerplate text indicating that I am a professional translator, that I am competent to translate from German and that the translation is true and accurate. I also had an embosser made with my name and "Professional Translator". Nonsense, I know, but no one ever questioned it.
In some cases I also needed to have the translation notarized. I charged extra for this, although my bank provides notarial services at no cost to customers.
Collapse

Monica RW
Monica RW
Local time: 23:33
Member (2015)
English to Polish
+ ...
Stamped and signed translations Jul 3, 2023

Yes, all the time - 3-4 project as day for the past 25+ years. But I'm a sworn translator and I do a lot of official translations.

Peter Dahm Robertson
Peter Dahm Robertson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:33
Member (2022)
German to English
+ ...
Ask the agency for more details! Jul 4, 2023

The rules for what counts as a certified translation differ widely. For example, in Germany, it is not permissible to certify a translation in the way Kevin is describing (getting an embosser and adding some impressive-sounding boilerplate): in Germany, you must be appointed by a court as an authorized translator first (and until you are authorized, you are not allowed to stamp and sign your translations as certified). In the US, however, what Kevin describes is often perfectly acceptable. I do ... See more
The rules for what counts as a certified translation differ widely. For example, in Germany, it is not permissible to certify a translation in the way Kevin is describing (getting an embosser and adding some impressive-sounding boilerplate): in Germany, you must be appointed by a court as an authorized translator first (and until you are authorized, you are not allowed to stamp and sign your translations as certified). In the US, however, what Kevin describes is often perfectly acceptable. I do not know the current status in the UK, but for a while, all that was required was that the translator include a signed statement with name, address, and indication that the translation was full and accurate.

So definitely ask the agency in what context the translation will be used, who will use it, etc. Then use this information to do research on the requirements yourself. (I have often had clueless agency project managers who wouldn’t know a legalization from a certification, and then everyone gets in trouble and no one gets paid.) That way you will then know what you can offer and (crucially) at what price.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2023-07-04 10:15 GMT]
Collapse

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 00:33
English to Romanian
Yes Jul 15, 2023

jyuan_us wrote:

Have you ever been asked by your agencies to stamp/emboss each page of a hard copy? How would you get a stamp/emboss for that purpose?

A LOT of times. It's actually the standard over here. It applies to sworn/certified/notarized translations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you ever been asked to stamp/emboss hard copies?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »