What do you call that thing that you sign?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 25, 2023

Hello everyone

Those of us who work for translation agencies typically have to sign a number of documents. For example, you may be asked to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement). But there is usually another document that the translator has to sign, which explains the professional and business relationship between the translator and the agency.

In your experience (especially if you have had to sign many of them), what is that document most often called? What word o
... See more
Hello everyone

Those of us who work for translation agencies typically have to sign a number of documents. For example, you may be asked to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement). But there is usually another document that the translator has to sign, which explains the professional and business relationship between the translator and the agency.

In your experience (especially if you have had to sign many of them), what is that document most often called? What word or term would you use for this document if you were explaining to a client or to new translator how to work with translation agencies?

"Sorry, I haven't signed your XYZ yet". "Agencies will ask you to sign an XYZ". "These are unfair clauses to look out for in an XYZ".

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:58
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
SLA Apr 25, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
In your experience (especially if you have had to sign many of them), what is that document most often called?

Service-level agreement.

Dan

Christopher Schröder

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Apr 25, 2023

In some cases, when working with some translation agencies I also signed a Translation Services Agreement. I must say though that I have been working with most of my long-standing customers without signing a single paper...

Andriy Yasharov
Christopher Schröder

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:58
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Various documents Apr 25, 2023

I have signed things like:

Contract
Translator Contract
Translator Agreement
Terms and Conditions
Supplier Terms and Conditions
Service Agreement
External Contract for Supplier
Supplier Framework Agreement
Independent Contractor Agreement
Terms of Business for Translation or Editing Vendors
Service Level Agreement
Service Partner Agreement
Master Service Agreement

"Service Level Agreement" is probab
... See more
I have signed things like:

Contract
Translator Contract
Translator Agreement
Terms and Conditions
Supplier Terms and Conditions
Service Agreement
External Contract for Supplier
Supplier Framework Agreement
Independent Contractor Agreement
Terms of Business for Translation or Editing Vendors
Service Level Agreement
Service Partner Agreement
Master Service Agreement

"Service Level Agreement" is probably the most common.

[Edited at 2023-04-25 20:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-04-25 21:05 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Edward Potter

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
Contract Apr 26, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
... another document that the translator has to sign, which explains the professional and business relationship between the translator and the agency.

In your experience (especially if you have had to sign many of them), what is that document most often called?

I don't know what it's "most often" called, but I call it a contract.

I'm a simple person.

Stepan Konev
Christopher Schröder
Agneta Pallinder
philgoddard

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Philip Apr 26, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:
I don't know what it's "most often" called, but I call it a contract.
I'm a simple person.

Thanks, but unfortunately I can't use just "contract" in the place where I need this information for.
The purchase order is also a contract. And the initial contract plus the purchase order together also form a "contract". Yes, I know this is hair-splitting territory...

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
According to Mr Robot Apr 26, 2023

The text I'm dealing with is non-English and calls it a "frame" agreement. This is (in my view erroneously) often translated to English as a "framework" agreement.

Well, when in need of a second opinion, ask the robot. According to Chat GPT, this word is actually used for this purpose... but I must admit that I have never heard of any translation client calling it that.

framework agreement

Christopher Schröder

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 12:58
English to Russian
+ ...
In the US Apr 26, 2023

I have been signing new and renewed Independent Contractor Agreements with all my agencies since 1995 and to this day.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Another option Apr 26, 2023

I've seen "framework agreement" and "master agreement" used in that sense. With or without extras such as "...for the supply of services" and what have you.

Also I often see "General Terms & Conditions" in situations where there are subsequent individual contracts formed by the issuing of POs. Not limited to translation, and again extras can be added to specify exactly what's going on.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
Civil-law vs common-law jurisdictions Apr 26, 2023

I have a civil-law services contract with my employer (and had one with each of my customers when I was a freelancer). With my current contract, I can technically take legal action seeking to have it reclassified as an employment contract because of the way the relationships between me and my employer are organised, but so far I'm happy as I am. Here, we have a distinction between what Roman law would call "locatio conductio operis" and "locatio conductio operarum" (hire-of-work contract vs hire... See more
I have a civil-law services contract with my employer (and had one with each of my customers when I was a freelancer). With my current contract, I can technically take legal action seeking to have it reclassified as an employment contract because of the way the relationships between me and my employer are organised, but so far I'm happy as I am. Here, we have a distinction between what Roman law would call "locatio conductio operis" and "locatio conductio operarum" (hire-of-work contract vs hire-of-services contract), and my contract is of the latter form (whereas in the US, the term "independent contractor agreement" seems to apply to both). All the terms (which are pretty basic) covering my workplace duties are set out in the contract. I don't have to sign an additional agreement for each job, so the word "framework" is extra. Also, according to my experience, English tends to avoid referring to documents as "contracts" (a document will be called an agreement, and a contract is the relationship it describes; if a document is called a contract, it will contain a separate section called "Terms of agreement" and a bunch of other stuff). The proz may correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that a purchase order doesn't qualify as a contract; rather, it is issued under a contract and governed by its termsCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you call that thing that you sign?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »