Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Finding work, fast, lost my previous client(s)
Thread poster: S_G_C
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 21:45
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Receiving medicine? Dec 15, 2022

Hope you are aware that healthy volunteers are given drugs in clinical trials? There are risks and they have to sign papers that they are OK with these risks. Certainly there must be other ways to get a job.

[Edited at 2022-12-15 16:07 GMT]

Baran Keki
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Lieven Malaise
Morano El-Kholy
Ester Vidal
Sebastian Witte

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:45
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Location matters Dec 16, 2022

Sorana_M. wrote:
It doesn't. Not where I live, at least. And when there are unskilled or less skilled jobs (like sales assistant, cashier, or the people working in food stores), they prefer youngsters. I will be turning 45 in 2023. I'm still looking, though.

I understand. I live in a deeply rural area and with only two industries (agriculture and tourism) the opportunities are also quite limited.

Dan

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
It's not for everyone Dec 16, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Hope you are aware that healthy volunteers are given drugs in clinical trials? There are risks and they have to sign papers that they are OK with these risks. Certainly there must be other ways to get a job.

[Edited at 2022-12-15 16:07 GMT]

Absolutely, and if you are not OK with this, you should not participate. If I had time, I would certainly be interested in some trials though.

The thing is, it sounds like Sorana has been looking extensively for all kinds of jobs so some out-of-the-box thinking may be required. I am sure Sorana has tried creative thinking as well, just trying to add my suggestions.

Lieven Malaise

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
A big leap Dec 16, 2022

Between freelance translation and participating in a clinical trial receiving random drugs, there is a big leap. I haven’t spotted any “creativity” in between in terms that she tried something else, ie. some other kind of job. There are so many other jobs in that bracket within that leap.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:45
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sorana Dec 16, 2022

Usually, the agencies which were awarded translation contracts with the EU have a lot of work. As I suppose I can’t reveal their names here, I’ll email you privately some names for you to contact them. I’ve searched them in site:europa.eu. I wish you the best of luck!

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I know it's not the best advice in your situation... Dec 16, 2022

...and it sounds perhaps a bit discouraging, but have you ever considered moving to a Western Europe country to take care of elderly people living in their own homes, but can't be left alone for mental and medical reasons? You would not only be granted a salary, but also a room in the house of that person, where you could look after other opportunities or at least continue the proportion of freelance career which has been left, and look for others clients. I don't know how it could be managed wh... See more
...and it sounds perhaps a bit discouraging, but have you ever considered moving to a Western Europe country to take care of elderly people living in their own homes, but can't be left alone for mental and medical reasons? You would not only be granted a salary, but also a room in the house of that person, where you could look after other opportunities or at least continue the proportion of freelance career which has been left, and look for others clients. I don't know how it could be managed when you have children, but it would be worth researching this opportunity and how to get to these jobs. For instance, the health care sector in Germany is desperately looking for care assistants and you could get admittance through short-time classes. I would only be wary of agencies in your country committing to these jobs. However, generally, Germany still is looking for skilled and even half-skilled workers in that sector and there should also be organizations here in Germany that could be contacted directly and without middle persons. Nevertheless, all the best wishes, and I know what you are talking of.Collapse

Morano El-Kholy
Dan Lucas

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:45
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Dec 16, 2022

Hayley Wakenshaw wrote:
(I'd love to see the faces of those who turn their noses up at MTPE if they knew what work I actually had to do to pay the bills!)

Why were you not able to MTPE instead?

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 22:45
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
2 Dec 16, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

What’s your specialization?

Technical and Medical, but not the entire field.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Living costs Dec 16, 2022

Ana Vozone wrote:

Give this a few more months.

But don't give up!

I'm not giving up, it's just that my partner cannot support the 3 of us on his own for a few more months. All prices have gone haywire in Romania. I don't know about other countries, but over here, it's become "normal" to buy, let's say, milk for X RON on Monday and the same brand and amount of milk for X + y RON on Wednesday. It's just crazy. Also, the new rent is 2x the old rent. Yes, the apartment is better maintained and offers more space. Still.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Living costs Dec 16, 2022

Sorana_M. wrote:

Ana Vozone wrote:

Give this a few more months.

But don't give up!

I'm not giving up, it's just that my partner cannot support the 3 of us on his own for a few more months. All prices have gone haywire in Romania. I don't know about other countries, but over here, it's become "normal" to buy, let's say, milk for X RON on Monday and the same brand and amount of milk for X + y RON on Wednesday. It's just crazy. Also, the new rent is 2x the old rent. Yes, the apartment is better maintained and offers more space. Still.

Oh, we asked someone to help us move our stuff. First round, 100 RON, the following round, 120 RON. What can I say.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Dec 16, 2022

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

Have you looked into participating in clinical trials at all?

I am not healthy. Haven't been for a long time. But even if I were, I wouldn't participate.

Angie Garbarino

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Ty Dec 16, 2022

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Usually, the agencies which were awarded translation contracts with the EU have a lot of work. As I suppose I can’t reveal their names here, I’ll email you privately some names for you to contact them. I’ve searched them in site:europa.eu. I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you!

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
No Dec 16, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:

...and it sounds perhaps a bit discouraging, but have you ever considered moving to a Western Europe country to take care of elderly people living in their own homes, but can't be left alone for mental and medical reasons?

No, I haven't, despite me being able to speak German fluently many years ago. Since then, I have developed several health issues which are sometimes hard to manage even in Romania, speaking Romanian.
Also, my daughter has a neurological condition which affects her school progress. She's an 8th grader and should be passing her finals in the summer of 2023. I'm afraid that won't happen as she can't catch up anymore. Everything seems like foreign languages to her. Homeschooling is not legal in Romania.

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Language lessons Dec 19, 2022

Hello,
did you consider giving language lessons/courses?
During the winter holidays, for instance.
It also works online (via Zoom/Skype or other platforms).
You could offer a package of 10 or 20 hours and maybe even ask for a (partial) advanced payment.
That is, if you already have some experience with it.
Good luck!
Ivana

expressisverbis
Ester Vidal

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Yes but no luck Dec 19, 2022

Ivana Kahle wrote:

Hello,
did you consider giving language lessons/courses?
During the winter holidays, for instance.
It also works online (via Zoom/Skype or other platforms).
You could offer a package of 10 or 20 hours and maybe even ask for a (partial) advanced payment.
That is, if you already have some experience with it.
Good luck!
Ivana

I did. For children, as I have done this before.
I posted an ad in various FB groups dedicated to parents.
Nobody's interested, they prefer organizations (providers of language lessons/courses functioning as organizations).

I also offered my help with school tasks - homework, various assignments.
Again, no reply.
It's like I'm invisible.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding work, fast, lost my previous client(s)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »