Thread poster: Steven Ritchie
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:53
Japanese to English
+ ...
verify bank account Dec 6, 2022

This sounds suspicious. Why a phone call? I would drop them.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Steven Ritchie
Steven Ritchie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:53
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My wording Dec 6, 2022

The law in question is the Sarbanes-Oxley act. This is an American law, but it applies to us because our parent company, ___, is a publicly traded American corporation. They say.

Steven Ritchie
Steven Ritchie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:53
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sarbanes-Oxley Dec 6, 2022

Jean Lachaud wrote:

Which law, of which State???

What does "sign up to a law" mean, anyway?

J L

Steafan34 wrote:

This process apparently is required under some US law they've signed up to, but they have offices in UK.

The law in question is the Sarbanes-Oxley act. "This is an American law, but it applies to us because our parent company, ___, is a publicly traded American corporation. They say. "
Whether true or not they are the first and only American agency I've worked with who require this process.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:53
English to French
+ ...
Sarbanes-Oxley Dec 6, 2022

Thanks.

I suppose the question may fall under Sarbanes-Oxley, a well-known law indeed. I would have expected that sort of question to be triggered by a minimum amount of invoicing, most likely well over what an individual translator would issue, though.

J L

P.S. : In addition, the phone call may be recorded. I don't know UK Law WRT to recording phone calls. In the USA, that varies from state to state. For example, in NY, only one party to a phone call needs
... See more
Thanks.

I suppose the question may fall under Sarbanes-Oxley, a well-known law indeed. I would have expected that sort of question to be triggered by a minimum amount of invoicing, most likely well over what an individual translator would issue, though.

J L

P.S. : In addition, the phone call may be recorded. I don't know UK Law WRT to recording phone calls. In the USA, that varies from state to state. For example, in NY, only one party to a phone call needs to be informed about the recording; in plain English, that means the other party may remain unaware that the call is recorded. In other states, both parties need to be made aware for the recording to be valid in court.
Such laws, of course, do not apply to law enforcement wiretappings.

Steafan34 wrote:

The law in question is the Sarbanes-Oxley act. "This is an American law, but it applies to us because our parent company, ___, is a publicly traded American corporation. They say. "
Whether true or not they are the first and only American agency I've worked with who require this process.

[Edited at 2022-12-06 22:33 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Requirement to verify bank account via phone call

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »