Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Passport required to apply as a translator, is this common requirement?
Thread poster: Dwi Rachmelia
Dwi Rachmelia
Dwi Rachmelia  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:30
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jul 26, 2022

I was applying to be a translator and I passed their test, so I'm in the process of signing the agreements, NDA etc. They require a passport for me. This is the first time I apply where they require a passport from me, usually only ID and NDA paperwork, etc. Is this a common requirement or is this unusual? I don't own a passport and with the COVID regulations, making one will be a task. Anyone know? Thank you in advance.

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:30
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
I would ask them is the ID card is enough Jul 26, 2022

Hello,

Depending on the level of confidentiality and sensitivity of the data you will have to translate, they may need to deeply verify your identity. I had to do so once with a finance-related client, I don't have a passport and I asked if my ID card would be enough and they said ok, I also had to provide a criminal record and a number of other information. I suggest you try to ask them.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Kevin Fulton

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 13:30
English to Finnish
+ ...
Makes no sense to me Jul 26, 2022

What next? Proof of vaccination?

Josephine Cassar
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Ulaş Güngör
Philip Lees
dkfmmuc
Angie Garbarino

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Yes Jul 26, 2022

One agency did request that, last year.

I diidn't bother to answer, since the entire agreement obviously applied to in-office workers, which they hadn't bothered to update for translators.

finnword1 wrote:

What next? Proof of vaccination?

philgoddard

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Could mean "government-issued ID" Jul 26, 2022

Some languages call those passports too.

Kevin Fulton
Elena Ivanova

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:30
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not common Jul 26, 2022

The only times I remember being asked for my ID (my passport is no longer valid and within the EU I don't need it) in the translation context was when I entered in a Consultant Contract with the UN or a Translation Contract with the EC and I didn’t have to show it just to fill the blanks in a form.

Tina Vonhof (X)

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Not unusual ... Jul 26, 2022

Dwi Rachmelia wrote: Is this a common requirement or is this unusual?

... (although I would refuse to submit any of those documents): It has already been discussed in another thread that some LSPs need secure proof for tax purposes that it is really you behind your email address and the postal address you stated. But I would be very careful to submit such an official document so as not to fall for a scammer.

expressisverbis
Laurent Mercky
Tina Vonhof (X)
Christel Zipfel
Christine Andersen

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Just tell them you don't own a passport Jul 27, 2022

Dwi Rachmelia wrote:

I don't own a passport ...

Just tell them you don't own a passport or enter not applicable.
If they really want to work with you they'll find a solution to verify you.

Cheers,
Gerard

Christel Zipfel
dkfmmuc
Jorge Payan
expressisverbis
Christine Andersen
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
passport requirement Jul 28, 2022

This has been asked of me several times and I have declined. All sorts of things can be done with passports.

Christine Andersen
Angie Garbarino
dkfmmuc

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I never send personal documents Jul 28, 2022

In Europe they can use a VAT number and check in the companies register that you are trading as a company, registered for tax and so on.
Some kind of business registration like that is what they really need. I would NEVER let an agency have my passport details. As others have said, scammers can use them for all kinds of things. As an independent business partner, not an employee, I keep the relationship strictly business. That does not exclude friendly remarks in e-mails, but they are stri
... See more
In Europe they can use a VAT number and check in the companies register that you are trading as a company, registered for tax and so on.
Some kind of business registration like that is what they really need. I would NEVER let an agency have my passport details. As others have said, scammers can use them for all kinds of things. As an independent business partner, not an employee, I keep the relationship strictly business. That does not exclude friendly remarks in e-mails, but they are strictly at the polite level.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis
dkfmmuc

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I wonder Jul 28, 2022

I wonder how many translators don't have a passport...

Maybe someone who is a paid member could suggest it as a poll question.

Baran Keki
Kay Denney
Christine Andersen
Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis
Philip Lees

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Done Jul 28, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

I wonder how many translators don't have a passport...

Maybe someone who is a paid member could suggest it as a poll question.

Now we just have to see when it appears

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Jared Tabor

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
Liquor store ID ? Jul 28, 2022

Finnish government-owned liquor stores used to issue a "booze card". That probably would have worked too.

Christopher Schröder

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I was asked last month Jul 28, 2022

Christine Andersen wrote:

Some kind of business registration like that is what they really need. I would NEVER let an agency have my passport details. As others have said, scammers can use them for all kinds of things. As an independent business partner, not an employee, I keep the relationship strictly business. That does not exclude friendly remarks in e-mails, but they are strictly at the polite level.

I refused (it was a Spanish agency, same country in which I am registered) I refused and told them that all what they need is my vat number, they disappeared.

dkfmmuc
philgoddard

dkfmmuc
dkfmmuc  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
A passport copy is *the* essential step for fraud and more Jul 29, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

This has been asked of me several times and I have declined. All sorts of things can be done with passports.

Dear colleagues,

I can fully agree that a passport copy is completely unnecessary for the business between a company and a translator as a supplier. These type of requesting request immediately raises a red flag. 👍

Fun fact: Until 2017 it was even for banks in Germany forbidden to take passport copies of customers. They were just allowed to write down the details like date/place of issuing the government ID, number etc.. Now this has changed slightly due to the impact of forced digitization.

Another way to reject this request is simply using common sense: Would you require as customer a passport copy of a lawyer, a doctor, a consultant? When copywriting manuals for German financial institutions I have seen so many ways of people trying to cheat, or sneak into the business relationship, you would never believe that. Therefore just apply the security measures a larger company would have.

The best way to check the identity of suppliers and/or customers (especially unknown companies) is transfer of a minor amount by a bank or one of the payment providers.

And always be aware that you are at risk when the customer doesn't want to pay. So it is not up to the customer to apply extensive risk management procedures.

Best regards

Gerd

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passport required to apply as a translator, is this common requirement?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »