Autor vlákna: Mats Wiman
Jeremy_Chen
Jeremy_Chen
Austrálie
Local time: 00:34
angličtina -> čínština
+ ...
yes but Jan 24, 2010

In Australia, we have a system that often requires another translator to check your translation.

I appreciate any good corrections from anyone (translators or not) but often I find myself in an awkward situation. That is, I need to write a report to prove I am right and others are wrong, in particular when the checker is an internal employee. They often lash out at my translations and probably to prove their usefulness by marking numerous corrections.

For example, in C
... See more
In Australia, we have a system that often requires another translator to check your translation.

I appreciate any good corrections from anyone (translators or not) but often I find myself in an awkward situation. That is, I need to write a report to prove I am right and others are wrong, in particular when the checker is an internal employee. They often lash out at my translations and probably to prove their usefulness by marking numerous corrections.

For example, in Chinese, there are many kinds of "and". They will correct them and you know there are a lot of "and". That really pisses me off sometimes. If they don't understand this basic thing, they shouldn't be allowed to check in the first place.

Having said so, I do blush if I mistranslate (often misread). Luckily, it is not often but you do need a triple check to get rid of all mistakes.

Jeremy Chen

[Edited at 2010-01-24 12:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-01-24 12:57 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:34
Člen (2003)
francouzština -> italština
+ ...
Interruption yes, sure Jan 24, 2010

Tom in London wrote:

Well, it must be MY Italian friends then. But I don't think so. I often watch Italian TV discussions where everyone is talking at the same time. Nobody takes any offence. In fact it makes for a lively discussion !

But not corrections about grammar or wording.

[Edited at 2010-01-24 12:50 GMT]

Jon O (X)
Jon O (X)  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
nizozemština -> angličtina
+ ...
No choice Jan 24, 2010

As any other foreign learners of Dutch will know, whether you appreciate it or not, Dutch speakers WILL correct you, often for the most minor of errors. Can be slightly intimidating at first, but you soon get used to it....

Tom in London
Tom in London
Velká Británie
Local time: 15:34
Člen (2008)
italština -> angličtina
testing Jan 24, 2010

"But not corrections about grammar or wording."

Still, corrections.

[Edited at 2010-01-24 15:31 GMT]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:34
Člen
španělština
+ ...
Yes Jan 24, 2010

Nobody's perfect so I don't assume that my translations will always be 100% perfect. If I make a mistake, appreciate when my translation is corrected and improved, and the feedback is sent to me. And I value that my own proofreaders make my translations better.

What I hate, and this could happen with direct clients, is when my translation is returned to me with a bunch of pointless and incorrect changes made by the bilingual person in the office or the person that took Spanish in hi
... See more
Nobody's perfect so I don't assume that my translations will always be 100% perfect. If I make a mistake, appreciate when my translation is corrected and improved, and the feedback is sent to me. And I value that my own proofreaders make my translations better.

What I hate, and this could happen with direct clients, is when my translation is returned to me with a bunch of pointless and incorrect changes made by the bilingual person in the office or the person that took Spanish in high-school. I had a client that would always do that -- once, he even removed all stress marks in my document! One day I had enough and told him that if the corrections weren't well-founded, I'd charge him for both: a) my time reading the incorrect "changes", and b) my time explaining why the changes weren't correct. It never happened again and he's still a client.

Edit: I didn't realized that the forum is 'Teaching and Learning Languages.' My reply was about proofreading and editing. When it comes to being corrected in public, it really depends on the tone and the intention of the person doing the correction; but mostly yes, I appreciate it.

[Edited at 2010-01-24 17:08 GMT]
Collapse

Aga Żukowska
Aga Żukowska
angličtina -> polština
+ ...
I do appreciate being corrected Jan 24, 2010

First, hello everyone!

That is good question Today i sent a completed text to one of my clients and just a minute ago i received it again, by e-mail of course. My client added a comment which says something like 'it's great, i just slightly changed a few things, but it's really fine, thank you.' I took a look at the text and one of the changed things was that she added one word (it was a good decision I think, now it
... See more
First, hello everyone!

That is good question Today i sent a completed text to one of my clients and just a minute ago i received it again, by e-mail of course. My client added a comment which says something like 'it's great, i just slightly changed a few things, but it's really fine, thank you.' I took a look at the text and one of the changed things was that she added one word (it was a good decision I think, now it sounds more naturally), another thing was that she changed one expression into another, similar in meaning, which also makes the text sound better.

She did not have to tell me about these corrections but i am really glad she did. I was looking for the word that she used and could not find it, but now I know, thanks to her. I suppose it may be something different when you are being corrected by another translator than when you are being corrected by your client, but I am still a beginner, not too experienced and I never take offence to being corrected. I believe it can only help me.
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 07:34
Člen (2006)
norština -> angličtina
+ ...
If they know enough about language Jan 25, 2010

If they know what they're talking about, I don't mind. If they don't, they'll probably just annoy me by being wrong.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japonsko
Local time: 23:34
Člen (2005)
angličtina -> japonština
+ ...
No knowledge of Spanish at all Jan 25, 2010

Claudia Alvis wrote:

What I hate, and this could happen with direct clients, is when my translation is returned to me with a bunch of pointless and incorrect changes made by the bilingual person in the office or the person that took Spanish in high-school. I had a client that would always do that -- once, he even removed all stress marks in my document! One day I had enough and told him that if the corrections weren't well-founded, I'd charge him for both: a) my time reading the incorrect "changes", and b) my time explaining why the changes weren't correct. It never happened again and he's still a client.

Edit: I didn't realized that the forum is 'Teaching and Learning Languages.' My reply was about proofreading and editing. When it comes to being corrected in public, it really depends on the tone and the intention of the person doing the correction; but mostly yes, I appreciate it.

[Edited at 2010-01-24 17:08 GMT]

If a person is bilingual or maybe a year or two in high school of Spanish, I cannot believe your proofreader removing all the stresses or accents from a Spanish text. Even in a a three day course a Spanish learner would learn that there are accents in written Spanish. I assume this proofreader is no bilingual or took any courses in Spanish.

Ulrike H
Ulrike H
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
I wish people had corrected me more often Jan 25, 2010

I first learned Spanish during a High School exchange in Chile, in other words, I learned it by being around people who only spoke Spanish and having to speak it myself. My friends and host family rarely corrected me, though, except sometimes pronunciation (I remember a friend making fun of the way I pronounced the "d", which made, for example, "todo" sound like "toro"), so when I left, I could communicate without problems, but I had no idea, for example, what the subjuntivo was - even though I ... See more
I first learned Spanish during a High School exchange in Chile, in other words, I learned it by being around people who only spoke Spanish and having to speak it myself. My friends and host family rarely corrected me, though, except sometimes pronunciation (I remember a friend making fun of the way I pronounced the "d", which made, for example, "todo" sound like "toro"), so when I left, I could communicate without problems, but I had no idea, for example, what the subjuntivo was - even though I had heard and even used it many times...

Before I started university, I had to do a Spanish test there, and according to my results, I was put into a level 3 class, with students who had been learning Spanish in a class room setting for a year. It soon became clear that I could speak more fluently than most of the others - most of them didn't dare to say more than a sentence at once - but that I had more problems with grammar. Well I learned a lot of it in class of course, but I still have problems with some aspects of grammar, and I think I wouldn't have as many problems had I been corrected every now and then... But I suppose you can't expect a group of 16 year olds (i.e. my school friends) to care much about grammar...

I still prefer it when people correct me, and tell people they should do so, though in fact they rarely do. I have several friends that are learning German, and I correct them as long as it isn't interrupting the flow of the conversation - though the first time I do it I make a remark that I do this because I prefer people to correct me, and that they should tell me to stop if they don't like it...

Where I do have to often bite my tongue is when I speak on msn with some of my English- and Spanish-speaking friends. Some of them can't seem to spell at all, but of course it would be strange for me to correct a native speaker. Well, sometimes I do, but then I try to phrase it like a question, as if I wasn't sure how to spell it either...
Collapse

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you appreciate being corrected?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »