Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:43
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sep 1, 2009

My partner and I are off wildlife watching next summer in the Carpathians and would very much like to learn as much Romanian as possible before we go.
We are both translators, so have a language background, although we suspect my Italian will be handier than his Welsh.
Can anyone suggest a good Teach Yourself course for us please?
Thanks
Suzi

[Titlu editat de un membru al personalului sau de un moderator 2009-09-01 17:57 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or mo
... See more
My partner and I are off wildlife watching next summer in the Carpathians and would very much like to learn as much Romanian as possible before we go.
We are both translators, so have a language background, although we suspect my Italian will be handier than his Welsh.
Can anyone suggest a good Teach Yourself course for us please?
Thanks
Suzi

[Titlu editat de un membru al personalului sau de un moderator 2009-09-01 17:57 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-01 18:05 GMT]
Collapse

lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

Not self-teaching, but an intersting offer Sep 1, 2009

www.h-net.org/announce/show.cgi?ID=162404

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:43
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Romanian Sep 1, 2009

Thanks but it would double holiday and cat sitting costs (hang on in there, Flossie). You are right though - it would be very interesting.
Suzi

Laura Stamp
Laura Stamp  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:43
German to Romanian
+ ...
A couple of links, hopefully useful Sep 1, 2009

Here are some links I found, I hope this helps:

http://www.romanianlessons.com/
See more
Here are some links I found, I hope this helps:

http://www.romanianlessons.com/
http://www.internetpolyglot.com/romanian/lessons-en-ro
http://www.buecher.de/shop/Engl-Buecher/RomanianLimba-Romana-A-Course-in-Modern-Romanian/Augerot-James-E-/products_products/detail/prod_id/25001688/
http://www.pravaliacucarti.ro/Daniela-Kohn-Puls-Manual-de-limba-romana-pentru-straini-Curs-p-21523-c-249-p.html
(the last one's a manual and seems to be entirely in Romanian so I'm not sure it's what you need)

Good luck with learning Romanian!
Collapse

Marco Oberto
Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:43
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Try the Pimsleur audio lessons Sep 2, 2009

Hi,

I have tried to start learning Romanian with the Pimsleur method. I bought their 30 lessons on iTunes and listened them on my iPod, but you can find the same course and material on www.pimsleur-language.com.

It is quite expensive (around 200 USD), although very useful to start learning a new language as they know how to help you get back on words and concepts in order to pa
... See more
Hi,

I have tried to start learning Romanian with the Pimsleur method. I bought their 30 lessons on iTunes and listened them on my iPod, but you can find the same course and material on www.pimsleur-language.com.

It is quite expensive (around 200 USD), although very useful to start learning a new language as they know how to help you get back on words and concepts in order to paste them in your mind.

My opinion on the course is fairly positive: now I can really understand basic romanian. In my opinion, however, they should give more importance to the written aspects of the language, which are basically ignored.

Somebody could suggest ME how to widen my basic knowledge of Romanian??

Here are some information from their Website:

The Pimsleur Method provides the most effective language-learning program ever developed. The Pimsleur Method gives you quick command of the language structure without tedious drills. Learning to speak a new language can actually be enjoyable and rewarding.

The key reason most people struggle with new languages is that they aren't given proper instruction, only bits and pieces of a language. Other language programs sell only pieces -- dictionaries; grammar books and instructions; lists of hundreds or even thousands of words and definitions; audios containing useless drills. They leave it to you to assemble these pieces as you try to speak. Pimsleur enables you to spend your time learning to speak the language rather than just studying its parts.

When you were learning English, could you speak before you knew how to conjugate verbs? Of course you could. That same learning process is what Pimsleur replicates. Pimsleur presents the whole language as one integrated piece so you can succeed.

With Pimsleur you get:

• Grammar and vocabulary taught together in everyday conversation,
• Interactive audio-only instruction that teaches spoken language organically,
• The flexibility to learn anytime, anywhere,
• 30-minute lessons designed to optimize the amount of language you can learn in one sitting.

[Modificato alle 2009-09-02 08:37 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning Romanian

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »