Proofreading a translated copy that wasn't done by us - how can I do it in CAT tools?
投稿者: PangeaLangs
PangeaLangs
PangeaLangs  Identity Verified
サイプラス
Local time: 06:38
2017に入会
Mar 8, 2018

Hello,
Lately we have been getting a lot of proofing/review jobs of websites or articles that weren't done by us.
If the quality is reasonable, we are happy to do it, but we are trying to find an efficient way to do it.
The ideal way, for us, would be to have the work displayed side by side as following:
Column 1 - source language
Column 2 - target language (translation that wasn't done by us)
Column 3 - target language (the review we are doing).

... See more
Hello,
Lately we have been getting a lot of proofing/review jobs of websites or articles that weren't done by us.
If the quality is reasonable, we are happy to do it, but we are trying to find an efficient way to do it.
The ideal way, for us, would be to have the work displayed side by side as following:

Any idea if this is something that exists? which CAT tool (or other tool) provide such a thing?

thanks!
Michal.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
オランダ
Local time: 05:38
2006に入会
英語 から アフリカーンス語
+ ...
I know of none Mar 8, 2018

PangeaLangs wrote:

I know that some CAT tools can read Excel files with *two* columns, but not three. The only CAT tools that I know of that are capable of displaying non-translatable content alongside translatable content are Wordfast Classic and Trados 5/6/2007 (i.e. TagEditor), but even then you'd have to do quite a few conversions to get the text into appropriate columns first (not to mention aligning the source and target files first).

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
英語 から フランス語
+ ...
TQAuditor Mar 8, 2018

Hello Michal,

Assuming the files to proofread/review are already in bilingual format (otherwise, you’ll probably need to use alignment, which can add much overhead), you can perform the review in your favorite CAT tool and use TQAuditor’s compare feature to generate an Excel report which highlights the changes made.

You’ll get a document with Source, Translated and Reviewed columns, each row representing a different segment.

See if this could suit you
... See more
Hello Michal,

Assuming the files to proofread/review are already in bilingual format (otherwise, you’ll probably need to use alignment, which can add much overhead), you can perform the review in your favorite CAT tool and use TQAuditor’s compare feature to generate an Excel report which highlights the changes made.

You’ll get a document with Source, Translated and Reviewed columns, each row representing a different segment.

See if this could suit you.

https://cloud.tqauditor.com/quick/comparison

Jean
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:38
スウェーデン語 から 英語
+ ...
Avoid CAT, use Track Changes Mar 8, 2018

The first time I did a reviewing / proofreading job many years ago the customer was not happy, and the reason was that in that situation there are effectively two people editing – you are making changes as you see fit, but the CAT tool may also be making changes derived from its termbase, and if you don't watch out these changes may change what you changed (that is its job). I found the only safe way was to set the CAT tool changes at 100% (therefore not introducing unwanted changes).
A
... See more
The first time I did a reviewing / proofreading job many years ago the customer was not happy, and the reason was that in that situation there are effectively two people editing – you are making changes as you see fit, but the CAT tool may also be making changes derived from its termbase, and if you don't watch out these changes may change what you changed (that is its job). I found the only safe way was to set the CAT tool changes at 100% (therefore not introducing unwanted changes).
A better solution was to use the Track Changes facility in Word. That was an easy and convenient way of reviewing. It also had one big advantage – you could deliver to the customer two files, one containing all the changes so that you and the customer could both see exactly what you had changed. The second file was a clean version of the 'dirty' (uncleansed) file ready for use,
You may have some difficulty in persuading the customer to accept this apparently non-standard way of working. But the results make it worthwhile.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading a translated copy that wasn't done by us - how can I do it in CAT tools?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »