Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ah but Nov 29, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

Looks like your complaint has fallen on deaf ears, Tom. I don’t think the forums are of any interest to ProZ any more. It’s all about the Facebook group (which I wasn’t allowed to join, being such a subversive).

So perhaps you need to get in touch with the Chief directly rather than waiting around for the Indians.

The Facebook group is run by He Who Shall Not Be Named.

P.L.F. Persio

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:46
Member (2008)
English to French
I agree it should be renamed Nov 29, 2021

In the same way I don't use 'gypped' or 'shanghaied', I wouldn't use 'powwow'.

Some terms have become so common, they've lost their bite (I'm thinking of you, 'scotch tape'), but powwow is not a term I would use in the normal course of things, and it would definitely raise some eyebrows here in Canada.

Tom in London
Rachel Waddington
Kay Denney
Arabic & More

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Och Nov 29, 2021

Arianne Farah wrote:

Some terms have become so common, they've lost their bite (I'm thinking of you, 'scotch tape'), but powwow is not a term I would use in the normal course of things, and it would definitely raise some eyebrows here in Canada.

The tape thing would only be offensive if it were "Scottish Tape" and if there were something objectionable in relating Scottishness to tape.

OR

if it were "Scotch Whisky Tape" and if there were something objectionable in relating Scotch Whisky to tape.

Just thought I'd point that out as a neat way to (hopefully) close this thread.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No way Nov 29, 2021

Tom, if you can think you can close this thread with a split infinitive and wanton misuse of the word “hopefully”, think again.

Much umbrage could be taken around these parts over the verb “to welsh” (renege), perpetuated by the bastard English who continue to wage their war of attrition on my country’s culture, language, communities, industry and natural resources, yes a full 700 years of hurt, but, you know, it’s historical, it’s not personal and it’s entirely poss
... See more
Tom, if you can think you can close this thread with a split infinitive and wanton misuse of the word “hopefully”, think again.

Much umbrage could be taken around these parts over the verb “to welsh” (renege), perpetuated by the bastard English who continue to wage their war of attrition on my country’s culture, language, communities, industry and natural resources, yes a full 700 years of hurt, but, you know, it’s historical, it’s not personal and it’s entirely possible to just get over it.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:46
Japanese to English
+ ...
Offensive language Nov 30, 2021

People are becoming more and more alert to defamatory language. Now, in France, gypsies are no longer "les tsigane" but "les gens du voyage" (the traveling people). Par consequent, those time-honored cigarettes, Gitanes, are now known as "les cigarettes du voyage".

P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:46
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Powwow according ... Nov 30, 2021

... the American Heritage Dictionary, Longman the New Oxford American Dictionary Oxford and Collins, yes, but what about the native people themselves: Do they really feel offended when this word is used in a very di... See more
... the American Heritage Dictionary, Longman the New Oxford American Dictionary Oxford and Collins, yes, but what about the native people themselves: Do they really feel offended when this word is used in a very different context, to express something quite similar, but in a non-offensive tone? Hadn't we already discussed the use of borrowed words recently and when a language is going to die out? Doesn't this (and other) word(s) help to keep up the awareness for these native nations? Anybody here who belongs to the Sioux, Apache, Comanche, who could clarify this issue?Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
P.L.F. Persio

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Suggestion: talaka Nov 30, 2021

My suggestion: let’s use the word ‘talaka’ (stressed on the last syllable). It means something like ‘a gathering to do a big work’ in Belarusian. I’m pretty sure no Belarusian will be offended

Valery Kaminski
P.L.F. Persio

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
You do you Nov 30, 2021

Arianne Farah wrote:

If you don't like the term powwow, nobody's forcing you to use it. But telling other people what words they should use seems kind of authoritarian to me.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
The point is..... Nov 30, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:

Arianne Farah wrote:

If you don't like the term powwow, nobody's forcing you to use it. But telling other people what words they should use seems kind of authoritarian to me.

...that Proz uses it as part of its standard terminology and as a company based in a part of upstate New York where many Native Americans continue to live, I am really surprised and quite concerned. Isn't it time to find a better name for these in-person meetings between translators?

[Edited at 2021-11-30 10:02 GMT]

Kay Denney

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
My suggestion: Nov 30, 2021

Tom in London wrote: Isn't it time to find a better name for these in-person meetings between translators?

Poker table (who in this round will tell her/his true price, name her/his customers, whether she/he uses DeepL and how to evaluate the work of your colleague sitting next to you next time in front of the same agency you both work for*).

* but only you know that

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
My suggestion Nov 30, 2021

"Pretending to be friendly whilst sizing up any potential competitors working in the same language pair"

Potential name for these get-togethers: "Oh Wow!"

[Edited at 2021-11-30 12:25 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
I disagree Nov 30, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

Arianne Farah wrote:

...that Proz uses it as part of its standard terminology and as a company based in a part of upstate New York where many Native Americans continue to live, I am really surprised and quite concerned. Isn't it time to find a better name for these in-person meetings between translators?

[Edited at 2021-11-30 10:02 GMT]

I'd consider powwow to be a sort of loan word adopted into the English language after the initial contact between white people and natives in North America centuries ago. I fail to see what could be offensive about it. In any case, people are offended all the time about something. It's hardly a reason to rewrite the dictionary.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
That is precisely the problem Nov 30, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:

..... I fail to see what could be offensive about it.....

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
each person has a choice Nov 30, 2021

Per Gerard Barry (and many people everywhere), "People are offended all the time about something. It's hardly a reason to rewrite the dictionary."

Exactly.

Of course, some people hurl insults on purpose, there are words that are intended to offend, and tone of voice usually indicates the speaker's intention; however, for the most part, no offense is intended. It is also up to the hearers to decide how to respond (no matter what the speaker's intent might be), not accord
... See more
Per Gerard Barry (and many people everywhere), "People are offended all the time about something. It's hardly a reason to rewrite the dictionary."

Exactly.

Of course, some people hurl insults on purpose, there are words that are intended to offend, and tone of voice usually indicates the speaker's intention; however, for the most part, no offense is intended. It is also up to the hearers to decide how to respond (no matter what the speaker's intent might be), not according to how others think they should. We all have a free will to ignore or react in a positive or negative manner to everything.

Anybody can ignore an obvious offense, allowing it to roll off like water off a duck's back, as the saying goes. Or they can choose to be angry if somebody wishes them well or says something good. Nobody can please all the people all the time.
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Mr. Satan (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Gerard Barry

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Indeedy doodle do Dec 1, 2021

MollyRose wrote:

Or they can choose to be angry if somebody wishes them well or says something good.

Merry Christmas!

[angry mob noises]

Uh... Happy Holiday?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Offensive language

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »