Pagine:   < [1 2]
Poll: Beyond your working languages, do you learn other languages for your own pleasure (e.g. Latin)?
Iniziatore argomento: ProZ.com Staff
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portogallo
Local time: 11:26
Membro (2015)
Da Inglese a Portoghese
+ ...
My working languages are more important Feb 12

I learnt Latin (level 4) at university other than the introductory Latin you learn at secondary school in Portugal. It was very difficult for me, but I managed.
After that, I didn't finish Italian at university because the teacher wasn't a good one.
A few years after starting my career, I took lessons with an Arabic teacher, but I gave up because of the time.
I think that if I tried harder and had more time, I might have been able to write and speak reasonably.
It's not
... See more
I learnt Latin (level 4) at university other than the introductory Latin you learn at secondary school in Portugal. It was very difficult for me, but I managed.
After that, I didn't finish Italian at university because the teacher wasn't a good one.
A few years after starting my career, I took lessons with an Arabic teacher, but I gave up because of the time.
I think that if I tried harder and had more time, I might have been able to write and speak reasonably.
It's not easy! There are words that are common between Arabic and Portuguese, but that's not enough at all.
I'd rather put more effort into my working languages because they are more important.

[Edited at 2024-02-12 20:41 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Angie Garbarino

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
Membro (2003)
Da Francese a Italiano
+ ...
I hear you Feb 13

Christine Andersen wrote:

I have just come back from visiting family in Italy, where I wished I had worked harder at Italian (and resolved to do so from now on). It seems much more difficult than learning Danish when I first came here!

Given your Nordic background I can understand, but: Come va adesso? Va meglio dopo aver passato del tempo in Italia?.

Pagine:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatore(i) di questo Forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Beyond your working languages, do you learn other languages for your own pleasure (e.g. Latin)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »