话题中的页数:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Have you been contacted by a solution provider offering ChatGPT as a translation tool?
论题张贴者: ProZ.com Staff
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
德国
Local time: 07:34
正式会员 (自2007)
Dutch荷兰语译成German德语
+ ...
No, and I... Apr 16, 2023

...will only react when ChatGPT itself tries to contact me. But I'm already attempting to leave the Matrix.

Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
ipv
Miguel González Álvarez

IrinaN
IrinaN
美国
Local time: 00:34
English英语译成Russian俄语
+ ...
Solution provider??? Apr 16, 2023

OMG, am I Backwoods or what... Never heard of them.

"We have problem for every solution!"

All my life it's been my bank account.

Christopher Schröder
Tom in London
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Nikolay Novitskiy

Claudio Machado Junior
Claudio Machado Junior  Identity Verified
巴西
Local time: 02:34
正式会员 (自2014)
English英语译成Portuguese葡萄牙语
+ ...
Wow... Apr 17, 2023

Elise Delahaye wrote:

No. But by clients who asked for a proofreading of whatever Google translate/DeepL/ChatGPT translated ? Yes.

Wow... this is the kind of 'job offer' that makes me sick.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
葡萄牙
Local time: 06:34
正式会员 (自2015)
English英语译成Portuguese葡萄牙语
+ ...
No, Apr 17, 2023

but I just got an email for a "huge volume" project from an agency that was banned from Proz.
Anyway, ChatGPT, or alike and job offers from untrustworthy people... just go directly to the bin without a reply.
I really don't like to waste my time with (those) things I am not interested at all.

[Edited at 2023-04-17 12:37 GMT]

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
俄罗斯联邦
Local time: 08:34
Italian意大利语译成Russian俄语
+ ...
No Apr 18, 2023

The service is locked in Russia due to known things

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
土耳其
正式会员 (自2018)
Italian意大利语译成Turkish土耳其语
+ ...
I will be honest Apr 19, 2023

I have never received any such offer, but it would be exciting for me. Imagine you're tasked to be creative as much as possible on a marketing text with the help of an AI tool. I would enjoy doing that.

Andreas Baranowski
Andreas Baranowski  Identity Verified
日本
Local time: 14:34
Japanese日语译成German德语
+ ...
Whistling in the dark? Apr 19, 2023

A few days back, for my amusement, I gave ChatGPT a Japanese commercial agreement to translate. The result was almost perfect.

Also, for what it’s worth, here is a writer talking about her job loss to ChatGPT.
https://old.reddit.com/r/freelanceWriters/comments/12ff5mw/it_happened_to_me_today/

The wholesale dismissal of
... See more
A few days back, for my amusement, I gave ChatGPT a Japanese commercial agreement to translate. The result was almost perfect.

Also, for what it’s worth, here is a writer talking about her job loss to ChatGPT.
https://old.reddit.com/r/freelanceWriters/comments/12ff5mw/it_happened_to_me_today/

The wholesale dismissal of ChatGPT on this page sounds very much like whistling in the dark.
Collapse

Edwige Thomas

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
俄罗斯联邦
Local time: 10:34
正式会员 (自2018)
English英语译成Russian俄语
Solution providers Apr 19, 2023

In Russia we have many solution providers. Weird people they are, offering solutions to problems that are invented by themselves or never existed.

I try to stay away from them, the farther the better. So my answer is "no".

Miguel González Álvarez

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
波斯尼亚黑塞哥维纳
正式会员 (自2009)
English英语译成Croatian克罗地亚语
+ ...
Are you joking? Apr 19, 2023

Metin Demirel wrote:

I have never received any such offer, but it would be exciting for me. Imagine you're tasked to be creative as much as possible on a marketing text with the help of an AI tool. I would enjoy doing that.

Are you aware this would be paid peanuts? Would you enjoy the peanuts as well?

Nothing stops you from being creative without GPT.

Btw, we have two almost identical GPT polls, was one not enough?

Philip Lees
expressisverbis

Metin Demirel
土耳其
正式会员 (自2018)
Italian意大利语译成Turkish土耳其语
+ ...
No peanuts Apr 19, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

I didn’t say anything about the rates. I only said I would enjoy trying an AI on a marketing text.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
波斯尼亚黑塞哥维纳
正式会员 (自2009)
English英语译成Croatian克罗地亚语
+ ...
Enjoyment Apr 19, 2023

Metin Demirel wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

I didn’t say anything about the rates. I only said I would enjoy trying an AI on a marketing text.

You can enjoy yourself all day long, GPT is freely accessible.

Personally, I don't see any enjoyment in it.

Metin Demirel
土耳其
正式会员 (自2018)
Italian意大利语译成Turkish土耳其语
+ ...
Thank you Apr 19, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

You can enjoy yourself all day long, GPT is freely accessible.

Personally, I don't see any enjoyment in it.

I have come to realize that ChatGPT, or any other AI tool, is not yet perfect. But most of us know from the experience in the market that most translators are far from perfect too! I don't have any stats to back up what I am going to say but I feel that the good translators constitute only a small fraction of the market and they too will lose big time against the AI tools.

Your comments have strengthened my conviction that we'll be gradually dragged out of the market in a not-so-distant future. Most of the comments here seem to reflect the first stage of grief. And we've already begun seeing the bargaining episode. Thank you for your contribution to this realization.

Miguel González Álvarez
Miguel González Álvarez
西班牙
正式会员 (自2023)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
No Apr 19, 2023

I worked for many years building language models, which is what GPT is, but for AI assistants in consumer applications. So, like a chatbot. I know how they work from the inside, and so on and so forth. Have you tried using GPT? You'll notice the cracks in the seams, the intentionally vague and noncommittal answers. This machine is programmed to sound like a conversation, but it is not programmed to say the truth, or to be whatsoever reliable at all. It can say any random junk with an appearance ... See more
I worked for many years building language models, which is what GPT is, but for AI assistants in consumer applications. So, like a chatbot. I know how they work from the inside, and so on and so forth. Have you tried using GPT? You'll notice the cracks in the seams, the intentionally vague and noncommittal answers. This machine is programmed to sound like a conversation, but it is not programmed to say the truth, or to be whatsoever reliable at all. It can say any random junk with an appearance of legitimacy.

This tech is really limited, at least compared to what some apostles try to paint it as. It takes hundreds of hours of labour to make it work for very limited scopes, and it also is very labour intensive to maintain. There are people trying to fix the output all the time. And if you widen the scope, the amount of labour necessary for the output not to be spaghetti increases exponentially. It is a mess. Take for example it has a 20% failure rate. That may be OK on paper, but nobody in their right mind would pay for something that fails one time out of five.

Anyway, it's not magic. It can't do everything. It's way more limited than it looks.
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
意大利
正式会员 (自2009)
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
ChatGPT is not a translation tool Apr 20, 2023

I wonder where the myth of ChatGPT being a translation tool comes from.

The tool just strings together words based on a probability calculation and on a large database collected mainly from the web.
It is a bit better in technical things (way less variables here) and in explaining, but its translations are not as good as those from actual MT tools.
It delivers well sounding texts which often are full of wrong statements.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English英语译成Russian俄语
+ ...
Just wait for TruthGPT Apr 20, 2023

What could be better than having machine translations that are truЪ to the original. Even I can't, in many cases, produce translations that are 100% truЪ. For now, I can't understand why everyone is going crazy with this chatty fakemaker. I can get free access to YouChat which, they say, offers pretty much the same functionality and has Internet access, and I keep getting newsletters telling me about how awesome this service is, but I can't make up my mind to go ahead and get chatting: there's... See more
What could be better than having machine translations that are truЪ to the original. Even I can't, in many cases, produce translations that are 100% truЪ. For now, I can't understand why everyone is going crazy with this chatty fakemaker. I can get free access to YouChat which, they say, offers pretty much the same functionality and has Internet access, and I keep getting newsletters telling me about how awesome this service is, but I can't make up my mind to go ahead and get chatting: there's nothing I'd like AI to do for me, no tasks I'd like to automate through it. Maybe it's because I don't make a living off social mediaCollapse

话题中的页数:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

本论坛的版主
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you been contacted by a solution provider offering ChatGPT as a translation tool?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »