Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you purchased a CAT tool in the last 12 months?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: ProZ.com Staff
Elizabeth Slaney
Elizabeth Slaney  Identity Verified
Nederland
Local time: 03:41
Lid 2003
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
No, but I upgrade every year Feb 5, 2023

While it's an extra cost, a CAT tool is essential in today's world of translation and can pay itself back in a single project. I have Trados Studio (because virtually all agencies prefer it) and MemoQ, because its such an easy tool to use.

Michael Harris
Juan Carlos Postigo Ríos

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Nederland
Lid 2006
Engels naar Afrikaans
+ ...
Amazingly Feb 5, 2023

I just checked my records, and.... wow, all three my main CAT tools saw payments this year: Trados in April 2022 (upgrade), MemoQ in August 2022 (new licence, with 30% discount thanks to TGB), and Wordfast in September 2022 (renewal). That's about EUR 800. And every time I see such a number, I ask myself just how long does it take me to earn that back (and I wonder).

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Lid 2006
Duits naar Engels
No Feb 5, 2023

Updated, but not purchased. Trados whenever I have enough money for the update and Across 1x year.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Turkije
Local time: 04:41
Lid
Engels naar Turks
Why? Feb 5, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

I just checked my records, and.... wow, all three my main CAT tools saw payments this year: Trados in April 2022 (upgrade), MemoQ in August 2022 (new licence, with 30% discount thanks to TGB), and Wordfast in September 2022 (renewal). That's about EUR 800. And every time I see such a number, I ask myself just how long does it take me to earn that back (and I wonder).

Why would you need 3 different paid CAT tools? Don't the agencies provide temporary licenses?

Christopher Schröder
Juan Carlos Postigo Ríos

Bruna Mattos
Bruna Mattos
Brazilië
Local time: 22:41
Engels naar Portugees
+ ...
No Feb 5, 2023

I already have perpetual licenses of the CAT tools I use the most.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 21:41
Duits naar Engels
Not all agencies provide licenses Feb 5, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

(snip)
Why would you need 3 different paid CAT tools? Don't the agencies provide temporary licenses?

Some agencies select translators based on the tools they own. This is an efficiency measure since they don't have to provide the same level of support as when they supply a license. At one juncture I had 3 licenses: DVX-2, Trados and MemoQ. I stopped using DVX when it became clear that serious upgrades were not in the product stream. I quit upgrading Trados Studio after the 2017 release and didn't transfer it when I bought a new PC last year. In anticipation of retirement, I stopped upgrading MemoQ after release 9.7.

[Edited at 2023-02-05 22:47 GMT]

Nikolay Novitskiy

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spanje
Lid 2007
Spaans naar Engels
Yes Feb 6, 2023

Deepl: Subscription (translates entire documents, creating drafts for post-editing)
MateCat: Free (MT translates sentence by sentence)

Depending on the job, one tool or the other works better
Or no CAT at all, but, very few jobs in that category, at this point

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Nederland
Lid 2006
Engels naar Afrikaans
+ ...
@Baran Feb 6, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

The only CAT tool for which an agency has ever given me a license was MemoQ. It was a semi-non-temporary license which I was able to continue to use for about 2 years before I decided to buy MemoQ for myself. No agency as ever offered to give me a temporary license for either Wordfast or Trados. Besides, an agency will only give you such a license if the agency wants you to use that tool at that time for that particular job, which means that you can't use it for other jobs (which is what I do). I've also had agencies offer/require me to use a web-based version of Trados, MemoQ and Wordfast Pro 7, but the offline versions are so much better.

Last week I used MemoQ for a TXLF job and then used Wordfast Pro 4 for another TXLF job by the same client. I also used MemoQ for an SDLXLIFF job for yet another client, though I have also used both Wordfast Pro 4 and Wordfast Pro 7 for SDLXLIFF files from the same client. Which CAT tool you use depends on what's most suitable for the file(s). A temporary license won't allow any of this.

[Edited at 2023-02-06 10:15 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Lid 2011
Zweeds naar Engels
+ ...
No Feb 6, 2023

95% of what I do is delivered in Word.

I therefore use Wordfast Classic for anything that isn't too creative. It's very basic but that's all I need. Licence is about £300 every three years with excellent support.

I can't believe how all the "modern" CAT tools aren't WYSIWYG. It's not like it's 1992 when we all ran WordPerfect 5.1.

I have an ancient version of Trados, hate it and never use it. I have used Memsource a few times online for free and it was OK
... See more
95% of what I do is delivered in Word.

I therefore use Wordfast Classic for anything that isn't too creative. It's very basic but that's all I need. Licence is about £300 every three years with excellent support.

I can't believe how all the "modern" CAT tools aren't WYSIWYG. It's not like it's 1992 when we all ran WordPerfect 5.1.

I have an ancient version of Trados, hate it and never use it. I have used Memsource a few times online for free and it was OK. I use two agency-provided CAT tools for odd jobs, one offline, one online, hate both. They just make everything take more time. Rubbish TMs!! Tags!! Bizarre "matches"!! More tags!! Lack of flow!! Even more tags!! Aargh!!!

[Edited at 2023-02-06 10:33 GMT]
Collapse

Nikolay Novitskiy

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you purchased a CAT tool in the last 12 months?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »