Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: What do you usually use to transfer/deliver files?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:13
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
No, Tom Jul 9, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

Currently, I use Thunderbird 102.0.1.

The latest release of Thunderbird is 91.11.0 (Mac) so I assume you must be referring to the Windows version.

Screenshot

[Edited at 2022-07-08 14:44 GMT]

It's definitely the Mac version I mentioned.

[Edited at 2022-07-09 06:32 GMT]

Thunderbird 102.0.1

Attaching a screenshot apparently does not work, but it's definitely v 102.0.1 (64 bit)

[Edited at 2022-07-09 06:57 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Airmail Jul 9, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

On the subject of email:

I'm still looking for a *reliable* email client, because the ones I've been using are not.

Very happy with Airmail. It has nice features, like:

• Snooze e-mails
  • Automatically create a link to large files, instead of sending them as an attachment

Support for IMAP is perfect.

Wolfgang Schoene

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:13
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Beta Jul 9, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

.... it's definitely v 102.0.1 (64 bit)

Must be a beta version.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Useful Jul 9, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Very happy with Airmail. It has nice features, like:

• Snooze e-mails
  • Automatically create a link to large files, instead of sending them as an attachment

Support for IMAP is perfect.

Thanks - useful to know. I don't care about bells and whistles or synching etc. I just want an email client that gets the basics right and is reliable, all the time.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Nope Jul 9, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

.... it's definitely v 102.0.1 (64 bit)

Must be a beta version.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Screenshot please Jul 10, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Attaching a screenshot apparently does not work, but it's definitely v 102.0.1 (64 bit)

It's easy to make a screenshot and attach it here. If I can do it, you certainly can because you're much cleverer than me.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks but Jul 10, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

It's easy to make a screenshot and attach it here. If I can do it, you certainly can because you're much cleverer than me.

I just do what it says here below, I copy the code and paste it herein, but the image doesn't appear.
Let's see if it works this time.

Thunderbird 102.0.1

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Worked this time Jul 10, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

I just do what it says here below, I copy the code and paste it herein, but the image doesn't appear.
Let's see if it works this time.

Thunderbird 102.0.1

Probably Proz does not like PDFs, I copied a png file to the post and it worked.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
BTW Jul 11, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

The latest release of Thunderbird is 91.11.0 (Mac) so I assume you must be referring to the Windows version.

IIRC, you cannot update from your current version, you have to download the update from here: https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/download/.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
You're right but... Jul 11, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

IIRC, you cannot update from your current version, you have to download the update from here: https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/download/.

You're right -

This is yet another example of Thunderbird's defects:

- Telling users their version is up to date when it isn't
- Not telling users that there's a new version
- Not enabling the new version to preserve the user's existing data

That's why I will NOT be responding to Thunderbird's invititation to support them with a voluntary payment.

Thanks Wolfgang - if you hadn't told me about this I would not have known. I'm disgusted!

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Thunderbird Jul 11, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

You're right -

That's why I will NOT be responding to Thunderbird's invititation to support them with a voluntary payment.

Thanks Wolfgang - if you hadn't told me about this I would not have known. I'm disgusted!

Well, Thunderbird/Firefox are delevoped by a bunch of volunteers. I think you can't expect them to act like a software company who is profit-oriented and keen on keeping their customers.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I would like to add Jul 11, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

You're right -

Well, Thunderbird/Firefox are delevoped by a bunch of volunteers. I think you can't expect them to act like a software company who is profit-oriented and keen on keeping their customers.

How could Thunderbird possibly let you know about the upgrade? They don't know you, you did not purchase the application, so it's up to us users to take a look on their website from time to time.

[Edited at 2022-07-11 08:54 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
You really are much cleverer than me Jul 11, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

How could Thunderbird possibly let you know about the upgrade?

Here's why.

Screenshot

Now tell me how I can install the new version, without losing all my existing account info, subfolders, and existing emails including the ones I have tagged as "Important"- I'm sure you know how to do this because you do seem very clever.

[Edited at 2022-07-11 09:20 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Well Jul 11, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

How could Thunderbird possibly let you know about the upgrade?

Here's why.

Screenshot

Now tell me how I can install the new version, without losing all my existing account info, subfolders, and existing emails including the ones I have tagged as "Important"- I'm sure you know how to do this because you do seem very clever.

[Edited at 2022-07-11 09:20 GMT]

I had no problem whatsoever recovering all my 9 mail accounts with all the mails inside when I upgraded to the new version.
If you're on the IMAP protocol, everything is stored on the server, worst that could happen is that you have to reconfigure your accounts in TB. Once your done, all your mailboxes and folders reappear, it may take a while, though, until everything is downloaded from the server.
If you're on the POP protocol, though, tough luck ...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No thanks Jul 11, 2022

No thanks- I'm busy working. I haven't got time to do all that- but the people at Thunderbird could have written the code to do it. Maybe some day they'll understand user needs. So for now I'm staying with what works because today, for example, I'm waiting for an important client to email me some important files. I can't interrupt that process.

Wolfgang Schoene

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you usually use to transfer/deliver files?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »