Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: How many languages does/do your child/children speak?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Rocio Barrientos
Rocio Barrientos  Identity Verified
Bolivia
Local time: 01:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spanish, German, English and a bit of Aymara Mar 8, 2011

Hello,

I have 2 kids LD 18 & Stefie 15, both of them speak Spanish (because it is our native language), German (because their father is German, and they go to a German School), English (because they learn it at school and at home), and a bit Aymara (because in Bolivia it is mandatory to learn a native language at school).

Warm greetings,

Rocío

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 15:41
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
1 Mar 8, 2011

My boys (1.5 and almost 3) only speak English. We live in an English-speaking environment and they have no other German-speaking relatives anymore, so I found it impossible to keep speaking to them in German. However, everyone else knows better - of course! - and keeps telling me I should be speaking to them in German.

I may send them to our local German School later on, but for now it's just English for us!... See more
My boys (1.5 and almost 3) only speak English. We live in an English-speaking environment and they have no other German-speaking relatives anymore, so I found it impossible to keep speaking to them in German. However, everyone else knows better - of course! - and keeps telling me I should be speaking to them in German.

I may send them to our local German School later on, but for now it's just English for us!
Collapse

Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
I'm bilingual (English, Vietnamese) and also know French, German, Latin Mar 8, 2011

My parents are Vietnamese and being exposed to English at a very early age, I can say English is my first language. Vietnamese may be so and I started translating (practise) at 12. i started learning French at 10 (self-education) and furthered this at uni in Australia, German comes last.

Last year, I picked up Latin within a few days, which was not hard at all. As a hobby, I was comparing Japanese, Chinese and Old Vietnamese (written in Chinese characters) and found some similaritie
... See more
My parents are Vietnamese and being exposed to English at a very early age, I can say English is my first language. Vietnamese may be so and I started translating (practise) at 12. i started learning French at 10 (self-education) and furthered this at uni in Australia, German comes last.

Last year, I picked up Latin within a few days, which was not hard at all. As a hobby, I was comparing Japanese, Chinese and Old Vietnamese (written in Chinese characters) and found some similarities. Being overloaded with languages, I haven't had much time with these languages.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many languages does/do your child/children speak?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »