Search engines
Autor wątku: Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:35
duński > angielski
+ ...
Aug 18, 2006

Google is an excellent search engine as are several other ones for internet searches, but have you tried:

www.dogpile.com

What is your favorite search engine?

Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugalia
Local time: 05:35
angielski > portugalski
+ ...
Dogpile looks great! Aug 18, 2006

I usually go to yahoo or google, or to answers.com for more specific questions, but I didn't know about dogpile. Thanks for the link!

Flavia Scafatti
Flavia Scafatti
Włochy
Local time: 06:35
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Clustering technology Aug 20, 2006

These are my favourites
http://clusty.com/
http://vivisimo.com

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 06:35
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
has anybody tried Lingotek yet Aug 23, 2006

Hi!
I just saw this banner on the proz entry page. The reading is interesting, I wanted to know whether anyone is already using it and kind of impress me more. But it seems one has to work both with MS-Office and Openoffice to be able to work with Lingotek. All further insider information and empirical experiences will be much appreciated. BTW the link is here - http://www.lingotek.com/ Best Brandis
<
... See more
Hi!
I just saw this banner on the proz entry page. The reading is interesting, I wanted to know whether anyone is already using it and kind of impress me more. But it seems one has to work both with MS-Office and Openoffice to be able to work with Lingotek. All further insider information and empirical experiences will be much appreciated. BTW the link is here - http://www.lingotek.com/ Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-08-23 02:19]
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Kanada
angielski > niderlandzki
+ ...
Half-baked Lingotek Aug 24, 2006

Brandis wrote:
The reading is interesting, I wanted to know whether anyone is already using it and kind of impress me more.

I wasted about an hour or two trying, because, like you, I was intrigued by the concept. You can actually get a doc file uploaded and work with it, but the system finds no matches. Null, zero, nada, nichts. Perhaps, as someone suggested, this system is primed to work best with French-English whereas I tried German-Dutch and German-English.
From today there is an online help file, without which it is next to impossible to find out what to do to work with it. The whole concept seems French, from the grammar mistakes in the help file text to the chaotic way this this is being set up.
There is a serious issue with copyright of your own material. It seems you can decide to make your own translations available to the public domain or not, but who knows what the owner of the website is going to do with your entries once they are on his server.
To be honest, this thing is premature, to say the least. It gave me some insight into the way an entrepeneurs may try to set up a system that seems way over his head, but other than that it was a waste of time.

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
duński > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Lingotek Aug 24, 2006

It has been interesting to read what each one wrote, and after getting the URL for Lingotek, I took a look at it. Bad experience. I agree with Marinus. It is not a program I would use.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search engines

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »