Ramesh Bhatt  Identity Verified
Nepal
Local time: 00:03
English to Tibetan
+ ...
Oct 2, 2009

Dear All,

Greetings!

As the keyboard-settings of different Hindi Fonts are different--i.e. different keys in the keyboard depict non-uniform Hindi letters--for example "H" key in Preeti Font depicts "Ja" while the same key in Arial depicts "pa" and the same key in Kruti-Dev shows "E" or Half "Bha", a lot of problems are caused to all the translators and editors thereby--and a lot of time wasted consequently.

I would like all of my peers to come to a mutual
... See more
Dear All,

Greetings!

As the keyboard-settings of different Hindi Fonts are different--i.e. different keys in the keyboard depict non-uniform Hindi letters--for example "H" key in Preeti Font depicts "Ja" while the same key in Arial depicts "pa" and the same key in Kruti-Dev shows "E" or Half "Bha", a lot of problems are caused to all the translators and editors thereby--and a lot of time wasted consequently.

I would like all of my peers to come to a mutual decision about which Font to use, rather than leaving it to the sweet wishes and whims of the clients to dictate which Font to use for their particular documents.

My personal preference are Arial Unicode MS/Mangal/New Times Roman/etc. Fonts that have uniform keyboard settings, as in the case of all the English Fonts. But there of course are some problems with these Fonts' depiction as well. प् and त get depicted as प्त, which is hard to read, for it resembles स; similarly, ख् and न become ख्न, which shows little of न, and is hard to read.

To overcome these problems, we can perhaps suggest these Font-makers to refine the versions of their Fonts, so that they get depicted well. We can also suggest the Kruti-Dev, Preeti, etc., makers to change their keyboard settings and make them in tune with Arial Unicode MS keyboard settings.

And for this, we first of all need to come to a mutual decision. And select our representatives, that can take up the matter with the Font-providers.

As far our prospective representatives are concerned, Mr. C.M. Rawal comes to mind first of all.

Best wishes!

Ramesh
Collapse

Manmohan Kaur
Manmohan Kaur  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:18
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Rectification of problems vis-a-vis the use of Hindi Fonts Nov 18, 2009

I totally agree with Ramesh Ji, it is really become difficult to type using different fonts for every client. And then there are more chances of spelling mistakes too.

All of us should think about it and should come to a conclusion about which common font is to be used for typing in Hindi.

Arial Unicode MS and Mangal are really good fonts to use. They do not corrupt at the conversion of document also. This way we all can save time and lots of unnecessary efforts.
... See more
I totally agree with Ramesh Ji, it is really become difficult to type using different fonts for every client. And then there are more chances of spelling mistakes too.

All of us should think about it and should come to a conclusion about which common font is to be used for typing in Hindi.

Arial Unicode MS and Mangal are really good fonts to use. They do not corrupt at the conversion of document also. This way we all can save time and lots of unnecessary efforts.

Everyday I got different project with the request to use different fonts. This is annoying sometimes but have no other option to agree to the client's request. Though it doesn't make much difference to the client about which font is used while translating.

I hope we can come to a solution to this very soon.

Thanks
MK
Collapse

dhsanjeev
dhsanjeev  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:48
English to Hindi
+ ...
Rectification in the use of Hindi fonts Dec 2, 2009

Ramesh ji
I agree with yu as this creates a big hurdle for trnslators and even editors while timely complition of work. Spmetimes demand coes of Kruti Dev 010 or 016 othe time it comes for DVTT yogesh or some other font. But all of these fonts dont have similar key board pattern and eveytime using and working on diferent font we have t waste a lot of time for finding perticular keys for a perticular word. So it will be better if a uniform decision of using a single font come up that we wi
... See more
Ramesh ji
I agree with yu as this creates a big hurdle for trnslators and even editors while timely complition of work. Spmetimes demand coes of Kruti Dev 010 or 016 othe time it comes for DVTT yogesh or some other font. But all of these fonts dont have similar key board pattern and eveytime using and working on diferent font we have t waste a lot of time for finding perticular keys for a perticular word. So it will be better if a uniform decision of using a single font come up that we will be in best interest of the translation industry. Todays world of IT field is stresdsding upon the use of unicode font as they can be used on any platform, any operating System and even any word software. So for HIndi in Ariel Unicode MS and MAngal are the best choices as thsy dont create any hurdle of key board changes and are for universal use. Even for website localisation they are the best choice as for other fonts hindi version fo the website create problem on many machines. So i also stress upon the use of unicode fonts in Hindi translation for the benefit of the industr and customers.
Thanks.
Sanjeev K. Dhawan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Amar Nath[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rectification of problems vis-a-vis the use of Hindi Fonts

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »