フランス
Local time: 00:17
英語 から フランス語
Jul 19, 2002

comme quoi certains sont généreux;=)

50000 words.

Maximal rate 0.20$ per word. Deadline:

Text about modern U.S. literature

ça fait $10 000 en un peu plus de 30 jours cool)

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
Where is the ad? Jul 19, 2002

Gilles,

Where did you see that ad?

Thanx

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
2004に入会
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
WOW! Jul 19, 2002

Where did you see that, Gilles? It\'s unbelievable! Hope you get the job!

Best of luck,

Gayle

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
イタリア
ドイツ語 から イタリア語
+ ...
bad vibes Jul 20, 2002

Hi,

I have seen this ad, too, and it says that only applications from translators qualified with a certificate (whose name I had never heard of before) will be considered. I have looked at the website indicated for getting the certificate - it is a geocities website and does not work - its link do not lead anywhere. This confirms IMHO that somebody might be having a laugh at translators - or have other reasons for leading many people to click on this website.

Bye,
... See more
Hi,

I have seen this ad, too, and it says that only applications from translators qualified with a certificate (whose name I had never heard of before) will be considered. I have looked at the website indicated for getting the certificate - it is a geocities website and does not work - its link do not lead anywhere. This confirms IMHO that somebody might be having a laugh at translators - or have other reasons for leading many people to click on this website.

Bye, Gilda
Collapse

Corinne Bono
Corinne Bono
フランス
英語 から フランス語
+ ...
I saw it and started to get info Jul 23, 2002

Hello,

I saw this ad indeed, it was via one of the Yahoo translator groups. You know, the ones youjoin in but they have the same advert as you get on ProZ, some sooner, some later but since many of us are members of a all of the above, we do add job offers to ProZ.

Or we used to, as it happens.

This ad was asking for a Geo Cert (which upon some research, happens to be a certificate for which you need the following) and the name may well come from the simple fact tha
... See more
Hello,

I saw this ad indeed, it was via one of the Yahoo translator groups. You know, the ones youjoin in but they have the same advert as you get on ProZ, some sooner, some later but since many of us are members of a all of the above, we do add job offers to ProZ.

Or we used to, as it happens.

This ad was asking for a Geo Cert (which upon some research, happens to be a certificate for which you need the following) and the name may well come from the simple fact that it is on GeoCity). From their site, I could not get anything to work other than contact us. Which I did. And after two days here is the answer I got.

I will add the advert as well.

THE AD:

50000 words. Maximal rate 0.20$ per word. Deadline:

Text about modern U.S. literature

Requirements: GEOC-IT certificate

(Please only issued by www.geocities.com/geoc_it_cert/

Private and unofficial analogues of GEOC-IT will not

be considered)

THE ANSWER FROM THE SITE TO BE CONTACTED:

Dear Sir/Madam!

Thank you for your request!

GEOC-IT certificate is founded by GEO group of translation agencies. It is aimed to select high-skilled freelance translators for work via Internet.

Requirements for candidates:

1.) At least 2 years of translation experience

OR

Excellent education

OR

Excellent recommendations from clients

2.) Availability to work at least 70 days per year as freelance translator

3.) Access to PAYPAL payment system

Please note, that GEOC-IT commission will carefully check all data provided in applications. Commission will contact some of organizations and persons indicated in the applications.

Application for GEOC-IT certificate must include:

1.) Application form. Format: Microsoft Word file. Form of the application is free, but the following information is required: name, source languages, target languages, mother language, date of birth, street address, email, translation experience, education, academic degree, date of application.

2.) CV. Format: Microsoft Word file.

3.) List of University certificates (including personal numbers) . Format: Microsoft Word file.

4.) Recommendations(if applicable). Format: Microsoft Word files, must include e-mail or phone of recommender

5.) Application fee (20 EUR or 17 USD)

Application fee of unsuccessful applications will be returned to applicant. Application fee must be transfered via PAYPAL to [email protected]

Please send your application via email to [email protected]

Do not forget to attach necessary files.

Applications are considered during 2 weeks. Successful

applicants will receive certificates by mail.

Kind regards,

GEOC-IT Team

Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
フランス語 から 英語
Yes and No Jul 23, 2002

At first sight, it is pleasantly surprising, and not impossible for it to be genuine. Very specific jobs do sometimes require very specific qualifications and some clients are ready and willing to pay for them. But reading on, the subject matter and the lack of detail about the job itself make the rate seem suspsicious indeed.

Setting aside anything to do with rates for a moment, the one big worrying thing about this ad - but one which would make me run away from it as fast
... See more
At first sight, it is pleasantly surprising, and not impossible for it to be genuine. Very specific jobs do sometimes require very specific qualifications and some clients are ready and willing to pay for them. But reading on, the subject matter and the lack of detail about the job itself make the rate seem suspsicious indeed.

Setting aside anything to do with rates for a moment, the one big worrying thing about this ad - but one which would make me run away from it as fast as possible - is the application fee. NO-ONE SHOULD EVER PAY TO APPLY FOR A JOB. With such a highly attractive rate and apparently serious questions being asked about qualifications, I would suspect that it is a pure ruse to reel in tons of 20€/17$ application fees - and I would be very doubtful about recovering that fee if your application turned out to be unsuccessful. The sum involved is accessible to many applicants and thus tempting. However, it\'s not worth bothering about if the person fails to return the money. Never the less, it is no doubt worth collecting it!

See what I mean?

Think more than twice and don\'t pay a bean!

Nikki

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-23 13:49 ]
Collapse

fcl
fcl
フランス
ドイツ語 から フランス語
+ ...
Who is certificating ? Jul 23, 2002

Just to add to Nikki\'s point of vue which I share, this question : who is Geocity to certificate anybody?

Considering the subject, modern american literature, bidder would maybe be better off asking for an ATA certification, if any. No?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-23 18:18 ]

OlafK
OlafK
英国
Local time: 23:17
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
il y a une autre annonce du même genre Jul 26, 2002

http://www.proz.com/job?id=24518

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
フランス語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
Un attrappe-nigauds Jul 26, 2002

... sans aucun doute.

Dommage, n\'est-ce pas?

Excellente fin de semaine ))

Geneviève

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

générosité

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »