Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 24, 2010

Dear colleagues

A client of mine is sending me a DVD with InDesign files, version CS4. The files are stored as INX files, which is a format that SDL Studio supposedly can open. The only thing I worry about (well, not the only one) is that the main file is enormous, more than 4 GB. Is it wise to try and open this thing with SDL Studio?

I can download InDesign for free and use it for 30 days, which would be sufficient. I could, of course, work straight in InDesign, but th
... See more
Dear colleagues

A client of mine is sending me a DVD with InDesign files, version CS4. The files are stored as INX files, which is a format that SDL Studio supposedly can open. The only thing I worry about (well, not the only one) is that the main file is enormous, more than 4 GB. Is it wise to try and open this thing with SDL Studio?

I can download InDesign for free and use it for 30 days, which would be sufficient. I could, of course, work straight in InDesign, but there are many repetitions, so a CAT tool would be great.

There is the other option of using Trados 2007. Apparently one can extract the text from the file and work in
TagEditor, which would be fine.

Any suggestion on the best way to proceed?

Much appreciated

- Rien
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:00
English to Thai
+ ...
INX file size Nov 24, 2010

I do not imagine that INX [InDesign Exchange Format] file is as large as 4GB, but the source InDesign file (with plenty of graphic) can be. INX files contain texts to translate and some tags you can use T2009 [or T2007] easily. The only problem is to open it without InDesign program in your PC. That is, only (translated) INX file without original InDesign file (e.g. *.idd) cannot display layout, graphic correctly etc.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
INX files Nov 24, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:
I do not imagine that INX [InDesign Exchange Format] file is as large as 4GB, but the source InDesign file (with plenty of graphic) can be. INX files contain texts to translate and some tags you can use T2009 [or T2007] easily...

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Thank, but I don't think this information is correct. It looks like the INX file contains the graphics as well.
SDL Studio can open this file for the purpose of translation. There is no need to have InDesign for that. If, when I'm ready translating, I want to see the results in the formatted document I would need InDesign, which is available as a free trial for 30 days.

My question is: does anyone have experience opening a very large INX file in SDL Studio? Does it work? I'll ask the same question in the SDL support forum.

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Issue solved via IDML Jan 7, 2011

We solved the issue by opening the INX in a free trial of InDesign, exporting it as IDML, translating it in Studio (works ok, but segmentation is a desaster and Preview doesn't work) and importing it in InDesign again. The last step was not necessary, because the client had in the meantime upgraded, so they could work with the IDMLfile. Which was ideal, because the file is much smaller that way.
IDML is cool. Never mind where the images are on the computer, InDesign will find them and rest
... See more
We solved the issue by opening the INX in a free trial of InDesign, exporting it as IDML, translating it in Studio (works ok, but segmentation is a desaster and Preview doesn't work) and importing it in InDesign again. The last step was not necessary, because the client had in the meantime upgraded, so they could work with the IDMLfile. Which was ideal, because the file is much smaller that way.
IDML is cool. Never mind where the images are on the computer, InDesign will find them and restore the document perfectly.
A colleague pointed me to the CAT tool CafeTran which works on any system (Mac, PC, Linux), handles IDML really well and has much better segmentation than Studio. All that for 80 euros. Not bad.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Điều phối viên của diễn đàn này
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need some advice on a translation project with InDesign files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »