How to confirm finished segment and jump to next unconfirmed segment (w shortcut) in Wordfast Pro 5?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:03
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 21, 2019

I have used pretty much every single CAT tool under the sun, and yet it is still possible to be surprised. Every year or so I try out various Wordfast products, just for the hell of it. And one thing I can never quite get my head around is how to actually translate with Wordfast Pro 5.

What I mean is this: how on earth can you simply confirm a finished segment and jump to the next unconfirmed segment (with a keyboard shortcut)?

There are all kind of different c
... See more
I have used pretty much every single CAT tool under the sun, and yet it is still possible to be surprised. Every year or so I try out various Wordfast products, just for the hell of it. And one thing I can never quite get my head around is how to actually translate with Wordfast Pro 5.

What I mean is this: how on earth can you simply confirm a finished segment and jump to the next unconfirmed segment (with a keyboard shortcut)?

There are all kind of different colours (purple, orange, etc.), but no matter how hard I try where I look I can't figure out an easy way to quickly move through the segments, confirming them, and using a simple shortcut to jump down the grid to the next unconfirmed segment. Like in memoQ, Studio, CafeTran, etc.

A while back I thought I had figured it out, with the help of the Help manual and some helpful tips from Wf staff, but even THEN it didn't work because I was stupid enough to close the program bac, and upon reopening it my so-called confirmed statuses had all disappeared. Or something like that.

Are there any Wordfast geniuses reading this who know how to do this? Also, am I the only person that finds this functionality, or lack of it, in Wf Pro 5 a bit confusing (compared to how it is done in most other CAT tools)?

Michael
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Michael Aug 21, 2019

Michael Beijer wrote:

1. Are you using a TM?

2. You can accomplish something similar using Ctrl+Alt+F (Until Fuzzy).

3. Perhaps your biggest problem is that Wordfast Pro 5 is still in development.

[Edited at 2019-08-22 06:45 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ha ha, thanks Samuel Aug 21, 2019

Yeah, that's sort of the impression I get too: that it is not ready yet. I do find certain design choices odd though, especially since it's been around for a while now. I mean, have the people who made it never tried to actually use it? To anyone actually using a CAT tool, what I am describing seems rather basic.

Michael

Jean Lachaud

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Michael Aug 21, 2019

Michael Beijer wrote:
To anyone actually using a CAT tool, what I am describing seems rather basic.

We shouldn't be hard on the WFP5 guys. They're probably required by their superiors to stick to some or other design ethic (e.g. "don't overwhelm the user with possibilities").

Yes, what you describe is basic, but not all CAT tools have it. Recently on the Trados forum some of us found it odd that there is no way to confirm a segment without committing it to the TM, without using a workaround. In several CAT tools there is no way to add a translation to the TM without confirming the segment (which means you have to manually unconfirm each segment each time, or: if unconfirmation by shortcut is not possible, then make a dummy edit and undo it after confirming the segment, in order to unconfirm it again). Very few CAT tool development teams seem to try to provide all options.

[Edited at 2019-08-22 06:46 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
oh well Aug 21, 2019

Oh well, it's a shame, because I do like certain things about Wf Pro 5, and Wordfast products in general. Maybe they'll read this and decide to do a bit of work on this at some point. I have mentioned it to them in the past, but got the impression they didn't really see the problem. Sort of a similar feeling I got whenever I tried to explain something to Déjà Vu fan(atic)s / Atril developers: either a blank look, or mild annoyance.

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to confirm finished segment and jump to next unconfirmed segment (w shortcut) in Wordfast Pro 5?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »