Will RWS destroy Trados?
Thread poster: Peter Motte
Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:30
English to Russian
Can't understand your concerns Apr 9, 2021

If they really stop developing all SDL products (do you, by the way, know there are 23 SDL products apart from Studio), Kilgray would be happy to meet and greet new clients. I strongly doubt that RWS are governed by the sole purpose to make Kilgray happy.
If Studio gives up its position, memoQ will take it over. No big deal.

[Edited at 2021-04-09 10:39 GMT]

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Jorge Payan
expressisverbis
Marijke Singer

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Not much left to destroy.... Apr 9, 2021

SDL have done a very good job themselves until now.

Elena Feriani
Laurent Di Raimondo
Peter van der Hoek
Marijke Singer
Kay Denney

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:30
English
Where does this stuff come from? Apr 9, 2021

Elodie Bonnafous wrote:

There is no customer support anymore. I am facing a big technical issue right now (I cannot create projects anymore with SDL 2019), I find no solution, and I find out that there is no customer support anymore right now.

I always amazed at the stuff I read in ProZ. Where does it come from? There has always been customer support and these days the options for paid or free are very good. If you have a support contract, which you can purchase through your account you get:

- 1:2:1 support when you need it with a technical support engineer
- free updates included when we upgrade the software

If you want free support you only have to look in the "Help" ribbon of the software you are using and you will get amidst the links to online help, tutorials, knowledgebase, links to where to find support etc. a link to the SDL Community. The community is pretty busy these days and we have quite a few people spending time in there every day helping users as well as other customers who like to help as you guys do in here.

If the questions cannot be resolved because they are licensing issues, or installation issues then we can easily convert the post into a support case and you will be given a ticket so a support engineer can help.

We also have a live chat who spend all day answering questions from users on anything they feel the need to ask. But they are not really technical support even though they often do try to help, so the SDL Community is your best bet. Linked in the help menu under "SDL Community" or a short link here:

http://xl8.one

All in all we have plenty of help, a lot more than we have ever provided. This also won't change because of the acquisition from RWS. In fact I believe it will be the opposite and we will continue to support our customers as we are doing now. RWS are committed to good customer service and I don't expect this to change.

The only real changes you can expect will be the names. "SDL Trados Studio" will become "Trados Studio" for example. So we are quite sensibly retaining the brand that everyone knows already, Trados. The name RWS will be used i many places and SDL will be dropped. This won't happen overnight as this is a very big exercise with a lot of touch points, many of which require development work. So the latter will be completed where it makes most sense... as part of our ongoing release strategies and not as a big bang overnight.

The notion that RWS will destroy Trados.... well I certainly doubt it! So far, as someone who probably has more insight than you nothing could be further from the truth. I think RWS is more likely to help strengthen the brand and improve the product.

Regards

Paul.

expressisverbis
Ekaterina Kroumova
A. & S. Witte
Paul Malone
Jorge Payan
Christine Andersen

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Paul Apr 9, 2021

That's good to hear!
Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Mark

A. & S. Witte
Paul Malone
Christine Andersen

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Will Trados destroy RWS?... Apr 9, 2021

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
Not much left to destroy...
SDL have done a very good job themselves until now.

I concur!

The present question is: "Will RWS destroy Trados?"

I'd rather be tempted to ask: "Will Trados destroy RWS?..."

[Modifié le 2021-04-09 16:21 GMT]

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What will be the situation in 5 years time? Apr 9, 2021

The notion that RWS will destroy Trados.... well I certainly doubt it! So far, as someone who probably has more insight than you nothing could be further from the truth. I think RWS is more likely to help strengthen the brand and improve the product

Just wait for 5 years.
Managers tend to have short memories.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Am I missing something? Apr 9, 2021

Peter Motte wrote:
Just wait for 5 years.
Managers tend to have short memories.

Given that in five years it will be a different product anyway, and you won't be using your current version; that all CAT tools are basically the same, TMs can be transferred, and Trados may be overpriced but isn't that much of an investment; and arguably that MT will have taken much of that market anyway... why the doom and gloom? What are you so worried about?

expressisverbis
Kaspars Melkis
Stepan Konev
Robert Rietvelt
Jorge Payan
Rachel Waddington

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Realism Apr 10, 2021

I'm not naieve but realistic.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Alarmism Apr 10, 2021

It sounds rather as panic. We will all die. Obviously everything will change in 5 years. By the way, why 5? Why not 4, 6, or 7? Did you measured it somehow to know that exactly 5 years is a good time period for changes?

[Edited at 2021-04-10 12:20 GMT]

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Where is the logic? Apr 10, 2021

Peter Motte wrote:
I'm not naieve but realistic.

Could you simply share your reasoning with us? I have no illusions about the intentions or competence of any company, but I simply don't see how destroying Trados will benefit RWS.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Good! Apr 11, 2021

Peter Motte wrote:

Is this the beginning of the end of the product we bought?

Good riddance. Trados works quite well in some respects, but I've never seen such bad quality control in supposedly high-end software. From error messages with stack traces that should have stayed in beta to bizarre 1990s-style UI limitations.

Laurent Di Raimondo
Craig Thomas Smith

Laurent Di Raimondo
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Better switching to another CAT tool... Apr 11, 2021

Joakim Braun wrote:

Peter Motte wrote:

Is this the beginning of the end of the product we bought?

Good riddance. Trados works quite well in some respects, but I've never seen such bad quality control in supposedly high-end software. From error messages with stack traces that should have stayed in beta to bizarre 1990s-style UI limitations.

I don't know whether the expression "good riddance" reflects the best the overwhelming general feeling among the translators community about Trados. But what I've been witnessing for the last few monthes is an unsatisfactory and excrutiating feeling about this so-called "CAT tool".

Since then, I've noticed that many of translators have already decided to get rid of it once and for all, in order to switch to another real effective CAT tool, for example CafeTran Expresso, which is the current successful rising state-of-the-art technology in matter of real CAT tools (but not the only one though).

I did the same and I've ultimately adopted CafeTran Expresso as my favorite CAT tool for a few weeks. Not only I do warmly recommand this tool, but I must say I don't regret the gain of time and the really outstanding accurate outcome of this CAT tool.

Therefore, as my well-advised fellow colleagues, I no longer use Trados and I would never use it for all the money in the world...

Time has changed. CAT tools have changed as well. As Trados has become the latest ancient dinosaur still dying on the Planet Translation, time has come to bet on modern innovative CAT tools. Time has come to bet on the future, no longer on archeologic old things that have passed away for long...

[Modifié le 2021-04-11 20:32 GMT]

Craig Thomas Smith

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
What is CafeTran Expresso? Apr 11, 2021

Laurent DI RAIMONDO wrote:
...for example CafeTran Expresso...
...CafeTran Expresso as my favorite...
Do you mean CafeTran Espresso?

[Edited at 2021-04-11 21:45 GMT]

Laurent Di Raimondo

Laurent Di Raimondo
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oops! Apr 12, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Laurent DI RAIMONDO wrote:
...for example CafeTran Expresso...
...CafeTran Expresso as my favorite...
Do you mean CafeTran Espresso?

Indeeed, Stepan! I scratched the name of my express Espresso...🙃

[Modifié le 2021-04-12 06:15 GMT]

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DejaVu Apr 12, 2021

My preference was DejaVu.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will RWS destroy Trados?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »