Thread poster: SDL Ian
Maurits Meulenbelt
Maurits Meulenbelt  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:41
English to Dutch
+ ...
Underwhelming May 9, 2020

Looks like 2021 will be even more underwhelming than 2019 was. No doubt Studio 2021 will still generate useless error messages, the alignment editor will still be crap, Studio will still stumble over larger files (this morning I got an out of memory error with a 6.4 MB file) and every search in the translation memory will still take minutes.

But at least there will be a magical cloud component! Who knows, maybe they’ll even throw in support for “the blockchain”, because that�
... See more
Looks like 2021 will be even more underwhelming than 2019 was. No doubt Studio 2021 will still generate useless error messages, the alignment editor will still be crap, Studio will still stumble over larger files (this morning I got an out of memory error with a 6.4 MB file) and every search in the translation memory will still take minutes.

But at least there will be a magical cloud component! Who knows, maybe they’ll even throw in support for “the blockchain”, because that’s what everybody is talking about these days anyway.

Also kudos for putting your brochure behind a wall of text fields to fill in. Because nothings says “I’ve got something to sell you!” like making it tedious to find out what you’re selling.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dawid Kita
René van Buuren
boostrer

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Those three features make it worth it for me personally May 9, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

- "Better" performance, "simpler" way of working
- Access the AppStore directly from within Trados
- Access the SDL Community directly from within Trados (including asking questions)

Those three points do make my mouth watery a little bit. Also, the world's finest commercially wide-spread CAT tool (M**** is clearly the No. 2 in that respect, despite what it is being loved for by its users weighing in quite heavily on the Pros side in the comparison of the two main competitors) needed another installment before, or so I think, they should eventually invest into making a new tool by the time 2025 comes.

[Edited at 2020-05-09 13:10 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sorry, but it IS the other way around: May 10, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:
After all, it's you that are trying to sell me something, not the other way round.

Things have come out that way the last years, that it is us, who have to buy Studio or memoQ, to receive jobs at all, thanks to the succesfull marketing strategies of SDL and Kilgray, acting in a narrow collaboration with major LSPs.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Release notes of previous versions May 10, 2020

I think one can discuss (and sling mud) better if one has access to the release notes of each version. Not all versions' release notes are easily accessible (for some, it requires extensive googling), so here is my unofficial collection of Trados Studio release notes: SDL Trados Studio Release Notes 2009-2019.zip.

[Edited at 2020-05-10
... See more
I think one can discuss (and sling mud) better if one has access to the release notes of each version. Not all versions' release notes are easily accessible (for some, it requires extensive googling), so here is my unofficial collection of Trados Studio release notes: SDL Trados Studio Release Notes 2009-2019.zip.

[Edited at 2020-05-10 09:42 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Can't really agree May 10, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:
Things have come out that way the last years, that it is us, who have to buy Studio or memoQ, to receive jobs at all.

I accept that CAT usage is becoming a condition for some agencies, especially the larger ones, but not all of them, and not for direct clients. Even among those agencies that do prefer CAT, I find that most are a couple of releases behind the latest version, and those agencies are usually able to accept files created or edited in a version that is a couple of versions behind the one they themselves use.

For me this means that there is no need to upgrade to the latest version of Studio, particularly when one considers the issues with installation, the usual need to upgrade TMs (why?!) and so on. So if SDL wants me to spend money, they're going to have to persuade me.

I actually upgraded early from Studio 2017 to Studio 2019 and I honestly could not see any significant improvements, and in fact I struggle to recall any at all for my pattern of usage. Maybe things changed under the hood? EDIT I have remembered one - in 2019 you can remove multiple TMs from a project at once! While useful, this is so obvious a feature that I can't understand why it wasn't introduced a decade ago. You still can't upgrade multiple TMs at once, but one must be thankful for small mercies.

Looking at Studio 2021, going by what Samuel kindly posted, there is a heavy emphasis on the cloud. For me this is pointless as I prefer to work offline - I find the cloud significantly slower and more cumbersome - and, rightly or wrongly, nearly all my clients would have a fit if I were working on sensitive documents from the cloud itself. That aside, there's nothing to interest me. "Better" performance and "simpler" way of working could mean anything or nothing, depending on how it is done. More search and filtering options, and being able to save sets of search settings, is potentially useful, but again depends on implementation.

In conclusion, SDL is going to have to do a lot more to convince me that the upgrade to Studio 2021 is worth the money. Most of the "improvements" made since I bought my first version in, I think, 2015 have been tweaks that many developers would include as part of a minor revision. New functionality in 2017 and 2019 aimed at translators was, in my opinion, very limited. It seems clear that the biennial release cadence is driven by marketing more than anything else.

What would I like to see?
- Compatibility with voice recognition software: probably too big an ask, technically, but voice recognition is only getting more popular
- Better font adaptation: I have used Memsource Desktop Editor and if I remember correctly I could change almost every font in the interface to a size that worked for me, meaning no more squinting at tiny text
- Enable operations such as Upgrade to be applied to multiple TMs at once (maybe this has already been done)
- Streamlined termbase creation, so that I don't need a dozen clicks when two should really be enough
- Better filtering of segments: the advanced community filter was a good attempt, but it doesn't reliably filter on formatting such as colour

Regards,
Dan

Stepan Konev

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:41
French to English
+ ...
... the usual need to upgrade TMs May 10, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:
For me this means that there is no need to upgrade to the latest version of Studio, particularly when one considers the issues with installation, the usual need to upgrade TMs (why?!) and so on.

Hi Dan,
You may have noticed that TMs have started being regularly upgraded after the introduction of version 2019. This is probably due to fragment matching, based on the upLift technology, which enables matching not only segments, but also syntagms, aka fragments. Since new fragments are added all the time in the course of translation, recognizing them requires matching them during the upgrade of the respective TMs.
Same happens when you import material into other TMs. They have to be upgraded and for the same reason.

For me this is a really big improvement and well worth the upgrade to Studio 2019.

Since Studio is my main translation tool, any slight improvement in functionality may translate into hours saved in roundabout searches, cumbersome maneuvers, or simply less crashes without notice.
This is also a worthwhile investment for me.
I have purchased the new version, because it in the long run, the time and nervous energy saved will be well worth it.

HTH,
Sandra

Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
upLifted May 11, 2020

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman wrote:
This is probably due to fragment matching, based on the upLift technology, which enables matching not only segments, but also syntagms, aka fragments.

Thank you, I wasn't aware of this, perhaps because it was not initially available for Japanese when first announced, so I mentally dismissed it. It would be interesting to go back and tackle the same text in 2015 and 2019, to see how much of an impact upLift makes. It is conceivable that it is greater than I thought, though I am skeptical.

Since Studio is my main translation tool, any slight improvement in functionality may translate into hours saved in roundabout searches, cumbersome maneuvers, or simply less crashes without notice.

I feel the same way about investing in tools that we use, like Studio, all day every day, but I also feel that different people with different ways of working extract (or fail to extract) improvements in different ways, and there is always a cost to upgrading, both in time and money. So I should acknowledge and clarify that my earlier comments apply mainly to my own use - a quintessential "YMMV" situation.

Regards,
Dan

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Upgrade multiple TMs at the same time is possible. May 11, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:

- Enable operations such as Upgrade to be applied to multiple TMs at once (maybe this has already been done)

FWIW, this is possible in the TM view (but not in the project settings window).

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Didn't work for me May 12, 2020

Erik Freitag wrote:
FWIW, this is possible in the TM view (but not in the project settings window).

Thank you Erik. I wasn't aware of this, so I gave it a go. I was indeed able to select and upgrade the TMs in the TM view, but when I went back to the project, Studio still told me that my TMs needed upgrading. Which is odd.

Regards,
Dan

Patrick Arbaut
Patrick Arbaut
Argentina
Local time: 05:41
English to French
+ ...
two questions May 18, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

When SDL Trados Stidio 2019 was first released two years ago, SDL offered Autosuggest Creator for free in case of pre-order. What about this time?

[Edited at 2020-05-05 19:29 GMT]

Yes, same concern, does the AutoSuggest Creator feature is lost when upgrading ?

And what about "SDL Trados Live" ?
Does it mean that we will have access to neural machine translation for free or do we have just the possibility, when upgrading, to further buy and integrate into Trados a neural machine translation monthly service ? And what quality can we expect ?

[Edited at 2020-05-18 18:13 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Patrick May 18, 2020

Patrick ARBAUT wrote:
And what about "SDL Trados Live"? Does it mean that we will have access to neural machine translation...

I did not get the impression that SDL Trados Live has anything to do with machine translation.

In one press release they say that translators would be able to connect to the SDL Machine Translation server via SDL Trados Live, but it doesn't say whether it is free, included in the price, or even available to freelancers.

Patrick Arbaut
Patrick Arbaut
Argentina
Local time: 05:41
English to French
+ ...
@Samuel May 18, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Patrick ARBAUT wrote:
And what about "SDL Trados Live"? Does it mean that we will have access to neural machine translation...

I did not get the impression that SDL Trados Live has anything to do with machine translation.

In one press release they say that translators would be able to connect to the SDL Machine Translation server via SDL Trados Live, but it doesn't say whether it is free, included in the price, or even available to freelancers.

Yes, seems I read a blog post a little too quickly.

With SDL Trados Live, which is powered by our Language Cloud platform, you will not just be able to upload your TMs and termbases into your own secure cloud space and use them in Studio, along with cloud-based neural machine translation.

https://www.sdl.com/blog/sdl-trados-studio-2021-the-new-way-of-working-for-the-translation-industry.html

Grâce à SDL Trados Live, qui repose sur notre plateforme Language Cloud, vous pourrez charger vos mémoires de traduction et vos bases terminologiques dans votre propre espace cloud sécurisé et les utiliser dans Studio, tout en profitant de la traduction automatique neuronale dans le cloud.

https://www.sdltrados.com/fr/blog/sdl-trados-studio-2021-the-new-way-of-working-for-the-translation-industry.html

Geof Aberhart
Geof Aberhart  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 16:41
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
Woooo I'm so excited May 20, 2020

Great, so it supports "the cloud," whatever that means. I just hope they'll finally be fixing some of the various bugs I have to keep searching for and finding posts from three, five, seven years ago with the exact same problems and the exact same "solutions."

Stepan Konev
René van Buuren
boostrer

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:41
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Fixes don't make headlines May 20, 2020

Of course they won't fix long-standing bugs and annoyances. Of course they won't make the term pane not flash a hundred times whenever you add a new term. Of course they won't fix the barely visible, not smooth fonts in the Term Recognition pane. Of course they won't make the app not overreact to keyboard shortcuts containing the Alt key. Of course they won't fix the buggy Regex search or allow you to move from source to target with the Tab key instead of F6 or streamline 'font adaptation' or ma... See more
Of course they won't fix long-standing bugs and annoyances. Of course they won't make the term pane not flash a hundred times whenever you add a new term. Of course they won't fix the barely visible, not smooth fonts in the Term Recognition pane. Of course they won't make the app not overreact to keyboard shortcuts containing the Alt key. Of course they won't fix the buggy Regex search or allow you to move from source to target with the Tab key instead of F6 or streamline 'font adaptation' or make a ton of other small changes that would collectively make a significant difference in our day-to-day work.

Those things are meant for minor version upgrades, not for a new major version, which is the one that brings in revenue.

You can see how poor of a release Studio 2021 will be by reading the pre-order materials: they use so many words to say so little. "Hey, we'll integrate things into our app", which will be little more than hyperlinks that take you to a webpage inside a browser. How innovative! Here, take my money.

[Edited at 2020-05-20 07:20 GMT]
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Matthias Brombach
Dan Lucas
Geof Aberhart
René van Buuren
Wilhelm Weigert
boostrer

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:41
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Underwhelmed, though some features could be mildly interesting May 20, 2020

1. Work on any device with SDL Trados Live, our new integrated and secure cloud option
2. Improved automation and QA
3. More powerful search criteria and more flexible display options
4. Access the SDL Appstore and SDL Community directly inside Studio

1. So, work from your phone or other device *not* conductive to translation quality? Not interested, thank you
2. Could be interesting, for some, depending on the details. Personally, I prefer to use Xbench for
... See more
1. Work on any device with SDL Trados Live, our new integrated and secure cloud option
2. Improved automation and QA
3. More powerful search criteria and more flexible display options
4. Access the SDL Appstore and SDL Community directly inside Studio

1. So, work from your phone or other device *not* conductive to translation quality? Not interested, thank you
2. Could be interesting, for some, depending on the details. Personally, I prefer to use Xbench for QA
3. Probably potentially interesting, but this, again, depends on the details
4. Mildly useful

Truth to tell, I haven't even bothered installing 2019, so far, though I have a license for it: the "improvements" over 2017 were so minimal that I didn't see the point of installing the new version.
I see that the same trend of feature-light upgrades probably continues with version 2021.

[Edited at 2020-05-20 18:42 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2021 is coming soon!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »