Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
:-) Nov 22, 2020

Whatever next? A female 007? It’s almost impossible to get ahead as a man these days 🙄

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 15:24
English to Russian
+ ...
Go diversity! Nov 22, 2020

https://decider.com/2020/10/21/disney-plus-sneakerella-musical/

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:24
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I know ... Nov 22, 2020

... I ought to step in, because it was the German chancelloress who decided so, and, as in the Welsh scenes of "Little Britain", I am the only German in this thread, but I am too tired and have a hard week ahead.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-22 21:02 GMT]

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Angela B

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Final warning aaaaand: Nov 23, 2020

Ladies choice!
Yesterday late in the evening, after the post quoted above, I received a phone call by our chancelloress, Miss Merkel. With her quiet, scientific and typically tiring sober voice, she explained in an endless way to me, that I – as the only German in this thread – would have to take measures to implement the newest German act of law. When I woke up by the on-hook signal on the phone early in the morning, I knew that I would have to react quickly.

That´s why I have to implement a quick poll here. Merkel´s figures were quite frankly and pointed on the fact, that the proportion of male contributors is much too high in this thread Tom started. Therefore we have to react and have to get rid of some of the most prominent male contributors (you know, like in the "People without Space" concept). I will propose some of them with a tick box. Ladies, it´s up to you and please take your choice very carefully:

Which male contributor has to leave this thread, to enlarge the proportion of women posters?

❑ Me (see picture above)
❑ Mervyn
❑ Chris S
❑ T.i.L.
❑ The_guy_with_the_sunglasses
❑ Thomas T. Frost

After your choice, please press submit (will be directed to Miss Merkel). Please don´t mind, should I have forgotten somebody and don´t forget, I just do my duty to my country.

Added after I phoned with my lawyer: "The plot and all persons acting are fictitious. Any resemblance to living or real persons would be purely coincidental."

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-23 08:38 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Woman posters Nov 23, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:
Which male contributor has to leave this thread, to enlarge the proportion of women posters?

I have plenty of woman posters on my garage wall, and none of their proportions need enlarging

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost
Matthias Brombach
Jean Dimitriadis
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well done ... Nov 23, 2020

... it was going to be, "Well done, lads, for taking this thread to hitherto unknown levels of frivolity", but I suppose Angela and others won't allow me to say that about the lads.

And I take it the Pirelli calendar is still going these days, then, Chris?

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:24
Danish to English
+ ...
Female proportions Nov 23, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

I have plenty of woman posters on my garage wall, and none of their proportions need enlarging

ROTFL 😂🤣😆😁

Chris, I hereby nominate you for the prize for the funniest Proz post ever. I'm having a hysterical laughing fit over my coffee.

It's good to see a man abreast of the drive towards equal rights.

[Edited at 2020-11-23 12:48 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Jean Dimitriadis
Jocelyne Cuenin

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I will send you another one ... Nov 23, 2020

Chris S wrote:

... with Angela on it, by bottle post (via Skagerrak + Scapa Flow).

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Objectification Nov 23, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
I take it the Pirelli calendar is still going these days, then, Chris?

As a boy I loved those visits to dingy under-the-arches garages with all their girlie calendars as my mother’s ageing Austin 1100 conked out yet again.

These days, of course, I never make it past the Gaggia in the local Bentley dealer’s swanky reception area, and anyway I’m far too urbane to view such 20th-century abominations with anything but disgust and shame over their repulsive objectification of the human body.

That was also one of the reasons I stopped being a Chippendale.

P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
This is Sophie's Choice all over again! Nov 23, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

❑ Me (see picture above)
❑ Mervyn
❑ Chris S
❑ T.i.L.
❑ Thomas T. Frost

I don't want anyone to leave; I don't care for affirmative actions, never have, never will. Stay here the lot of you, gentlemen, even the_guy_with_the_sunglasses.

I appreciate men posters too: on my desktop, among various pictures of gardens, flowers, animals, and a quite frankly astonishing arrays of cakes and desserts, there are Clint Eastwood in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and Benedict Cumberbatch as Richard III in The Hollow Crown. They're completely dressed though, that's where men and women differ, I guess.

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No one Nov 23, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

❑ Me (see picture above)
❑ Mervyn
❑ Chris S
❑ T.i.L.
❑ Thomas T. Frost

After your choice, please press submit (will be directed to Miss Merkel). Please don´t mind, should I have forgotten somebody and don´t forget, I just do my duty to my country.

No male contributor should leave. I like all of them.
It is quality rather than quantity that matters, and we have here great contributors from both sides (male and female).

Thomas T. Frost
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Jocelyne Cuenin
Zibow Retailleau

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Me too P.L.F.Persio Nov 23, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

I appreciate men posters too: on my desktop, among various pictures of gardens, flowers, animals, and a quite frankly astonishing arrays of cakes and desserts, there are Clint Eastwood in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and Benedict Cumberbatch as Richard III in The Hollow Crown. They're completely dressed though, that's where men and women differ, I guess.

I have the charming Alain Delon looking at me every morning with this wild look:

cover1_1440_1200

[Edited at 2020-11-23 14:26 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Is that a poster in your pocket or are you happy to see me? Nov 23, 2020

Just work on posters enlargement, and the proportions will take care of themselves (especially if you tick "keep original ratio" or if it's square format)...

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
The other reason I left the Chippendales Nov 23, 2020

I know you’re all itching to know (no, that’s not it) but too shy to ask, so I’ll tell you anyway.

It was the whipped cream.

It must’ve been an allergy. Every time the drunken hordes of cackling hens started spraying it on and rubbing it in I’d get this massive swelling, which is a big no-no in the Chips; they’re not some sleazy downmarket troupe playing to the baser instincts of the fairer sex but skilled artistes and purveyors of good clean family fun.... See more
I know you’re all itching to know (no, that’s not it) but too shy to ask, so I’ll tell you anyway.

It was the whipped cream.

It must’ve been an allergy. Every time the drunken hordes of cackling hens started spraying it on and rubbing it in I’d get this massive swelling, which is a big no-no in the Chips; they’re not some sleazy downmarket troupe playing to the baser instincts of the fairer sex but skilled artistes and purveyors of good clean family fun.

“Chipolata, not Erbswurst, lads,” old Mr Chip would drum into us during our training. “Always think health and safety, we don’t want to poke any eyes out.”

[Edited at 2020-11-23 11:58 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Angela B
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Desktop Nov 23, 2020

Alan certainly looks as if he's been sleeping on a desktop. I assume he goes out during the day so that you can get on with some work.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »