Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:51
German to French
+ ...
Jul 28, 2010

Hi everybody,

I just got a new computer with Office 2010 and I am totally new to it. I could add the Trados template to the "Templates and complements", as I used to do in previous versions of Word, but this still doesn't display the Trados toolbar and I can't find where to add it to the display. Any hint?

Thanks in advance!
Sophie

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I am afraid it will NOT work Jul 28, 2010

AFAIK there was no update on Trados templates last time and no promise to make Trados working within Word 2010.
IMHO this is really time enough to leave Word as editor and use TagEditor or better Trados Studio instead.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
It works, although not officially Jul 28, 2010

It is true that SDL has so far not released any update to SDL Trados 2007 Suite to support Word 2010, but various people have tested the current template and found that it works fine. The issue has already been discussed here.

Copy the TRADOS8.DOTM template tom the Word startup folder. Make sure you delete the .DOT template as well as the Multiterm template as this one causes problems. After you have done this and restart Word, you will have a 'SDL Trados' in your Word 2010 ribbon
... See more
It is true that SDL has so far not released any update to SDL Trados 2007 Suite to support Word 2010, but various people have tested the current template and found that it works fine. The issue has already been discussed here.

Copy the TRADOS8.DOTM template tom the Word startup folder. Make sure you delete the .DOT template as well as the Multiterm template as this one causes problems. After you have done this and restart Word, you will have a 'SDL Trados' in your Word 2010 ribbon with all the necessary commands.

Besides this, I join Jerzy's advice to definitely leave Word as editing environment and switch to the format independent editor Studio.

Walter
Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you guys! Jul 28, 2010

I do love working in TagEditor, so it's not a problem for me, but some of my clients dislike it, and most have not turned to Studio yet. But thanks for the tips, I'll make use of them!

AgataTom
AgataTom
English to Polish
+ ...
Thank you Walter! Aug 17, 2010

Removing these two template files turned out to be the solution to my problem as well (error No. 5853).

Kind regards,
Agata

Sophie Dzhygir
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Feb 24, 2011

Hi everybody,

This is an update about this issue. I just got the tip from someone on the French forum. You first need to display the Developper menu in Word. To do that, go to File > Options > Cutomize ribbon (? - sorry, my interface is in French)
From there, select Main tabs in the left column, then in the column select Devlopper and add it to the right column, and ensure it is ticked. Then click OK and you now have the Developper menu. In this menu, go to Document template a
... See more
Hi everybody,

This is an update about this issue. I just got the tip from someone on the French forum. You first need to display the Developper menu in Word. To do that, go to File > Options > Cutomize ribbon (? - sorry, my interface is in French)
From there, select Main tabs in the left column, then in the column select Devlopper and add it to the right column, and ensure it is ticked. Then click OK and you now have the Developper menu. In this menu, go to Document template and tick the Trados 8 template.
You can now go and customize the commands in the ribbon to get all your favourite Trados commands. I tried it and it works fine!
Collapse

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Trados 2007/Word 2010 works, but Mar 13, 2011

A friend and I finally got Trados to work in Word 2010 but every time I start Word, I have redo the trados8.dotm thing. Any suggestions?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Switch to Studio Mar 13, 2011

Word 2010 is not supported by Trados 2007.
Even if you get it working, it is a question of luck.

Sophie Dzhygir
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Luck Mar 13, 2011

You're right Jerzy, it's a matter of luck. Even if I managed to make it work, it does not work smoothly.
However, saying just "switch to Studio" is not necessarily the right answer. There is quite a number of customers out there who want to use only TWB and Word (they are not even familiar with TagEditor, so say nothing about Studio!) The solution I found for those clients is to turn to Wordfast rather than to Studio.

[Modifié le 201
... See more
You're right Jerzy, it's a matter of luck. Even if I managed to make it work, it does not work smoothly.
However, saying just "switch to Studio" is not necessarily the right answer. There is quite a number of customers out there who want to use only TWB and Word (they are not even familiar with TagEditor, so say nothing about Studio!) The solution I found for those clients is to turn to Wordfast rather than to Studio.

[Modifié le 2011-03-13 17:53 GMT]
Collapse

Ana Vozone

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
These customers can be informed, that technology changed Mar 13, 2011

It is exactly as you say, many customers demand bilingual Word because of lack of knowledge. In that case, instaed of using that old and not reliable technology I just inform the customer and offer alternative solution(s).
And I would be really grateful to all colleagues, if they would simply do the same. I thnik within a quite short period of time that kind of requests would nearly disappear.
IMHO it is time to change our attitude and (at last) to start using newer and better techno
... See more
It is exactly as you say, many customers demand bilingual Word because of lack of knowledge. In that case, instaed of using that old and not reliable technology I just inform the customer and offer alternative solution(s).
And I would be really grateful to all colleagues, if they would simply do the same. I thnik within a quite short period of time that kind of requests would nearly disappear.
IMHO it is time to change our attitude and (at last) to start using newer and better technology (not necessarily meaning Studio - DVX or MemoQ or anything else).
Collapse

Jonathan Widell
Jonathan Widell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:51
Member (2003)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Wordfast Jul 27, 2011

With the new version of Word, I switched to TagEditor and like it a lot. However, it is hopelessly sensitive to all kinds of factors, such as the languages in the source file etc. So my answer to an urgent CAT need was to download the demo version of Wordfast. Superb, no matter which Word you are using. And it is supposed to be Trados-compatible.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:51
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Unsupported, but it works Jul 27, 2011

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

Hi everybody,

I just got a new computer with Office 2010 and I am totally new to it. I could add the Trados template to the "Templates and complements", as I used to do in previous versions of Word, but this still doesn't display the Trados toolbar and I can't find where to add it to the display. Any hint?

Thanks in advance!
Sophie

Please see my post How To Tun Trados 2007 With Word 2010

This is unsupported by SDL, but (for most people, at least, including me) it works just fine.

[Edited at 2011-07-27 04:02 GMT]

David Terhart
David Terhart  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Simple solution Jul 12, 2012

see: http://www.aboutranslation.com/2010/11/how-to-run-trados-2007-with-word-2010.html

(essence: close all Trados and Office applications, copy "TRADOS8.dotm" from C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007\TT\Templates to C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup)

Nathalia Suescun
Nathalia Suescun
Colombia
Local time: 04:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you!! Sep 11, 2012

Thank you so much David Terhart, the solution was SO simple!

Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I just dfo not have this in my computer Apr 8, 2013

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup)

Could it be something else?

David Terhart wrote:

see: http://www.aboutranslation.com/2010/11/how-to-run-trados-2007-with-word-2010.html

(essence: close all Trados and Office applications, copy "TRADOS8.dotm" from C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007\TT\Templates to C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados toolbar in Word 2010

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »